State of Titans convo: Non-game specific

deeluxx3

6 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

This is nasty and honestly borderline racist.

"ran carthon was a league-mandated diversity hire" is beyond borderline, lol. but that's boston sports media for ya, they vomit out far worse on the regular. but apparently the guy went on some tennessee radio show today and walked it all back. that's what this tweet from turron is in reference to 😂

What's really gonna change? 

Are we gonna get a new line coach?  Are we gonna get a new special teams coach. 

New OC. new DC? 

Autry Landry Simmons and guys gonna come back? 

I think some predict sweeping changes but I don't see much changing outside of some new draft picks and FA's

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

New OC. new DC? 

I think some predict sweeping changes but I don't see much changing outside of some new draft picks and FA's

I am once again gonna say I think today proved we need to spend the vast majority of our resources on offense next offseason. 

We had how many 3 and outs between the 2nd and 3rd quarter? If our offense was just good enough to get a field goal on a single one of those drives, give the defense like . . . 2 minutes to rest, we win today.

People watch the defense and get super frustrated that we aren't forcing 3 and outs every single drive, but the defense isn't bad. It's not great. Probably not even "good". But with an offense that can score they are good enough to win games right now.

4 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

New OC. new DC? 

Nothings going to change performance wise until we get better players. That's pretty much it. We are too bare in talent at too many positions. New OC/DC are potential things, but if we can't line up and block for the QB/RB/P/K then we're kinda just down a creek without a paddle. The whole offensive scheme can't even be run because of the problems up front. I honestly think most of the problems are with Brewer, too. The tackles are obviously a problem as well, but we need a center badly. Brewer is hot garbage. Every single play even if the tackles wash the edges there's nothing for Levis to even step up into.

I don't think much is gonna change.  If I had to guess, there may be one or two position coaches fired and replaced, but that will be it.  And those that will be changed will likely just be promotions from within.

What needs to change is the OLine coach, the special teams coordinator, and the DBs coach, and all of those, I think, desperately need to change with outside hires.  I would say the TE coach as well, but Dews has been the RBs coach before that, and obviously did a fantastic job there, so maybe Chig's struggles are just on Chig.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I don't think much is gonna change.  If I had to guess, there may be one or two position coaches fired and replaced, but that will be it.  And those that will be changed will likely just be promotions from within.

What needs to change is the OLine coach, the special teams coordinator, and the DBs coach, and all of those, I think, desperately need to change with outside hires.  I would say the TE coach as well, but Dews has been the RBs coach before that, and obviously did a fantastic job there, so maybe Chig's struggles are just on Chig.

All those staff changes I could agree with except the DB Coach. While the DB's and pass defense hasn't been good, Chris Harris is supposed to be a very good coach. He helped field some good DB units in Washington. I don't think he forgot how to coach. Maybe he was covered by talent?

But Fulton has been bad through multiple DB coaches and the rest of the guys are UDFA's almost.  You have SMB and McCreary then UDFA's in Kendall and Avery. 

I'd like to see him with a room of starting NFL talent. 

Chig just has had a bad year. I don't think it's anyone's fault but his own. 

I'd also like to think that our OLine coaches aren't that bad, but when you give them junk, what are they supposed to do? We fired the guy that was there even when Derrick was running for 2k.  Did he forget how to coach or did the guys just get terrible?

I want to know who are the people who think these guys are good to bring in, in the first place?  Who was the guy that said, let's trade for that Dennis Daley guy in Carolina. 

I agree that Aukerman needs to go. He's needed to go. I also agree that Vrabel's gameday roster puts way too much value/importance on guys who play ST, especially when it's not like our ST is ever even that good / helps us to winning. There was no reason Philips shouldn't have been playing yesterday.

I don't really agree w/ the idea of how a "prehistoric offense" is so detrimental to this team. We're 21st in the league in rushing attempts per game. Know we've been playing a lot of catch up and that can skew the number, so looking home games where we've been more successful/winning, I acknowledge that number jumps to ~34 attempts a game which is 3rd in the league among home games for teams. We were running the ball down Indy's throats yesterday in the first half, and Spears got going late in the game yesterday, too. If we ended up winning, who would be mad about running the ball as much as we did? This team tends to win when we have success running the ball, as it helps mitigate a bad pass-pro OL, generally average QB play (all due respect to RT and Levis right now), and lack of WR talent. I suppose we can play the theoretical game of "if we had Ben Johnson this offense would wake up," but I don't know how Ben Johnson would be able to make defensive backs afraid of NWI, Chris Moore or Treylon Burks.

I know people like to go up in arms about 2nd and Long runs, and I agree that it can often be an issue. But we had general success running on 2nd and long yesterday. Henry's first TD came on a 2nd and long. We had a few 5+ yard runs on 2nd and Long. People only want to remember the 2nd and Long run on our first+second series of the 2nd half, when the entire offense was a mess. Was Henry's TD run a bad playcall? 

My question is -- what do people want / really expect on O? Not running so often on 2nd and Long? I don't disagree at all, it kills our drive more often than not. But it's not like we're holding back a dormant passing O that's just waiting to explode. I can't recall a single clean pocket Levis had yesterday. Hopkins is our only legit pass catcher, everyone else needs to be schemed open more often than not. We're just so, so limited there. Blame the TE coach for Chig dropping passes. Blame the OL coach for not coaching up Dillon Radunz. Blame the WR coach for Burks being a bust. I think a lot of things aren't working on offense. Coaching is certainly a part of it, but this forum spends an offseason criticizing the personnel on OL/WR, and then gets surprised when the groups don't perform on Sundays.

Other than the Pitt game, I struggle to really find major playcalling criticisms on Kelly. Our offense is broken because we have an OL that cannot block consistently and also commits a very high amount of penalties. Yes, penalties are on coaching. But it's also a symptom of having 9 different OL playing and our (current) group only having played 2 games together. It's been a patchwork OL all season due to injuries/suspension. And when the OL can get going somehow, our passing options are limited given the general lack of talent at the WR/TE positions.

I have no idea what people mean when they criticize the scheme of our defense, because that insinuates they have an idea of what we should be doing defensively that we're not currently doing. I'm all ears if someone has the magic answer. Is a scheme going to turn Fulton and Avery into competent corners? Fulton doesn't have the mental makeup to be a consistently good CB and Avery is a UDFA.

Our pass rush is generally nonexistent. Simmons runs between smoking hot and ice cold. Key should probably be a situational guy, Autry is aging and Landry is recovering from an ACL. Did losing Schwartz hurt? Probably, but the unit hasn't been great since 2021. We can all say what we want about Bud Dupree, but when healthy he's a legit starting edge presence and the unit of Dupree/Landry/Autry/Simmons was a very effective one. Now compare that to Simmons/aging Autry/recovering Landry/Key. It starts up front and we suck at pressuring the QB on a weekly basis. Should we fire Terrell Williams?

I've been of the mindset that this team is really lacking a great LB presence. Letting Long go hurt, error by Vrabel/RC. I think Azeez played his best game as a titan yesterday. I don't think our mediocre LB core has lost us games, but we lack playmaking from that level.

Our DBs are also generally medicore. SMB/McCreary are good players, legit starters. Hooker is very average IMO, but is probably the best playmaker of the group. We can criticize coaching, I guess, but has McCreary not "developed"? He's shown to be a solid slot corner. Overdrafted? Sure. But that's on JRob.

I think it's very fair to expect more from Vrabel this season and there's a lot to criticize in his situational game management and personnel choices. May have cost us 1 or 2 games this season. But on a general, game-by-game and play-by-play basis, we lose in the trenches and that's why we lose games. We don't have the guys on our OL to keep our QB upright and we don't have guys on the DL who can consistently win 4 vs 5. Combine that w/ a general lack of playmaking talent, revolving door of players at OL, a rookie QB, bad corners, and you're going to lose more than you win.

• Like 1

baffling. he hasn't even been all bad when he's gotten on the field but the coaches appear to hate him for some reason. something going on behind the scenes, perhaps. in any event, another j-rob special i suppose

edit: i mean listen. i'm sure at least some of this, perhaps all of it, is standard fan overreaction. and it's not like any of these guys are actually all that good. but it still feels kind of not great to have multiple players this year celebrating or otherwise popping off once they leave the team.

Edited by -Hope-