2023-2024 NBA GDT: Offseason

11sanchez11

5 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I highly doubt he was disrespected.  But it wasn't enough to make him change the course of his career.  Izzo made the same choice in the early 2010s to not go to Cleveland for more money.  Sometimes guys like the comfort and style of position they are in and they have more than enough money to not be swayed by an extra million or two.  He is in a position he could stay forever and never worry about being fired and be one of the all time great college coaches.  Or he can go pro and probably not change too much for the trajectory of the Lakers, cash checks and maybe be a great pro coach.  But for most guys who make the jump it doesn't work out and they are back in the college game with a tainted legacy.  Not to mention how different it is coaching pro's vs college.  In college you have a say over who is on your team, you get turnover often and can build it in your vision and kids are more coachable. The pro's you are dealing with more ego management, have less impact on the game, and have a lot less say on roster build.  My guess is his style wouldn't work as well in the pros and he knew it and wanted to stay in college.  

Totally agree his style wouldn't fly in the pros, but there's an ego thing with these coaches as well. He's the top dog in college, has nothing left to prove there, but succeeding in the NBA is the next step and doing it for the Lakers is the top of the top.

Id be shocked if he never makes the jump at some point in his career, he's relatively young. But in interviews ive seen hes made comments on his legacy as it relates to his father and brother in basketball. 

15 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Tell that to 2013-19. 

Yeah. And they corrected that exact span of time by overpaying LeBron and offering extensions.

Jeanie and Pelinka may not get much right, but theyre going to take care of the star. And in turn that will garner future stars always consider LA.

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

Totally agree his style wouldn't fly in the pros, but there's an ego thing with these coaches as well. He's the top dog in college, has nothing left to prove there, but succeeding in the NBA is the next step and doing it for the Lakers is the top of the top.

Id be shocked if he never makes the jump at some point in his career, he's relatively young. But in interviews ive seen hes made comments on his legacy as it relates to his father and brother in basketball. 

I'd be more shocked if he does make the jump than if he doesn't.  This is a pretty great opportunity and as you mentioned, one of the greatest franchises in the game.  If you're going to make the jump, its something like this or Boston, or a place with a good situation like San Antonio if Pop leaves while Vic is still controlled.  

I think he is more worried about his legacy in college.  Plenty of all time greats have nothing more to prove in college but stick with it.  Coach K, Dean Smith, Jim Calhoun, Tom Izzo, Bob Knight, Roy Williams,  Jim Boeheim etc etc.  The legacy of being an all time great in college is a much better legacy than what Billy Donovan has.  I don't see the NBA as the next big task for college coaches, its just a different career path in the same field.  Sure the NBA is the top pro league but its not the same for coaches as it is athletes. John Wooden is talked about in the same breath as Phil Jackson as all time greats.  I am guessing the money will be similar for him to stay at UCONN when he gets another raise after going back to back and he will be on par or above Bill Self. 

Its such a different job even though the title is the same.  I can completely see why college coaches wouldn't want to go to the NBA and vice versa. 

18 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'd be more shocked if he does make the jump than if he doesn't.  This is a pretty great opportunity and as you mentioned, one of the greatest franchises in the game.  If you're going to make the jump, its something like this or Boston, or a place with a good situation like San Antonio if Pop leaves while Vic is still controlled.  

I think he is more worried about his legacy in college.  Plenty of all time greats have nothing more to prove in college but stick with it.  Coach K, Dean Smith, Jim Calhoun, Tom Izzo, Bob Knight, Roy Williams,  Jim Boeheim etc etc.  The legacy of being an all time great in college is a much better legacy than what Billy Donovan has.  I don't see the NBA as the next big task for college coaches, its just a different career path in the same field.  Sure the NBA is the top pro league but its not the same for coaches as it is athletes. John Wooden is talked about in the same breath as Phil Jackson as all time greats.  I am guessing the money will be similar for him to stay at UCONN when he gets another raise after going back to back and he will be on par or above Bill Self. 

Its such a different job even though the title is the same.  I can completely see why college coaches wouldn't want to go to the NBA and vice versa. 

I think Billy Donovan in 2007 was in an extremely similar position to Hurley. Didn't realize that he stayed at UF for another 8 years after the consecutive titles.

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Monty getting a free 60 million and don’t have to deal with the Pistons BS… American dream 

He stole that money.  He didn't want to be here and it showed from day 1.  Although I still have very little faith in Gores as an owner, hopefully the change in front office has a similar impact as it did for the Lions. 

36 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

He stole that money.  He didn't want to be here and it showed from day 1.  Although I still have very little faith in Gores as an owner, hopefully the change in front office has a similar impact as it did for the Lions. 

That’s why teams shouldn’t try to overpay for a coach who doesn’t want to be there. 

• Like 4