The MVP race

Steelersfan43

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think you're starting to see Stroud hit a rookie wall - teams have film on him, and he's starting to hold onto the ball more because coverages are harder now. He's taking a lot of hits, and he's starting to show effects of those hits. He's trying to carry the team - admirable, but it's going to cost hm some style points.

I do expect him to lead all candidates going into next season - especially if the Texans get another WR into the building, someone like Tee Higgins or Mike Evans.

Losing Tank isn't going to help either for this year.

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

You giving him $50 Million a year?

In 2025? Yeah, he's getting that or whatever the market is for top QBs....unless he just falls flat on his face from now to then...and that's highly unlikely.

Which Niners games have you watched this year? 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

You can sling it all over the field when you have the weapons he has, for sure. I'm not saying he's a Derek Carr type game manager. I'm saying the man has layups in his back pocket because of his offense. 

Gotcha. 

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:
9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Context matters. You'll see the same dropoff from Purdy to Josh Johnson that you'd see from Mahomes to Josh Johnson. That doesn't mean that Purdy is just as important as Mahomes, it means that Josh Johnson is a BAD backup QB.

(The 49ers also lost Josh Johnson in that game)

Insert whatever backup QB you want - it's more a reflection of the depth at the position in that particular game vs the importance of Purdy. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

In 2025? Yeah, he's getting that or whatever the market is for top QBs....unless he just falls flat on his face from now to then...and that's highly unlikely.

Which Niners games have you watched this year? 

Good luck with that.

I've seen plenty. Nothing pops when watching him just like nothing pops when watching Hurts. 

1 minute ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Losing Tank isn't going to help either for this year.

On the plus side (not many pluses to be had but I digress) is that we'll be forced to see more of John Metchie and Xavier Hutchinson. Metchie is still getting back from his cancer scare, but Hutchinson is a guy who really flashes when you give him snaps on offense.

He's not going to go all Tank on opponents, but if he can get 3/45 a game with a TD or two, that'll set him up well for next season.

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Btw, with all the talk of the weapons Purdy has, somehow folks seem to believe he has a good pass blocking OL lol. By far one of the worst in the league by all metrics. 

How much of that is due to Williams being out when he was? Purdy has great pocket manipulation and awareness, for certain.

Edited by beekay414

Just now, beekay414 said:

How much of that is due to Williams being out? Purdy has great pocket manipulation and awareness, for certain.

I mean Williams only missed two games and obviously the OL was AWFUL when he wasn't there but even with him, they allow pressure like crazy. The right side of the OL is putrid and we have dudes playing that wouldn't even be back ups for other good teams. It's so bad that Jon Feliciano, someone who Giants fans and Bills fans thought was awful and didn't want him back came in to play for two weeks and Niners fans were excited for him to be the starter the rest of the season lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

How much of that is due to Williams being out when he was? Purdy has great pocket manipulation and awareness, for certain.

It's a baaaaaaaaaaaad offensive line. Obviously worse when Trent was out, but it's bad regardless by just about every metric. 

Purdy bails them out a ton with one of the better sack to pressure rates in the league (it's not Mahomes, but it's like top 5ish or something in the league statistically). 

But that was something that showed up in college. Always threw with some good anticipation and was always nimble in the pocket. Faced a ton of pressure at Iowa State. He always knew how to play the position well enough, and he was a bit of chaos merchant which made him entertaining, but always thought the physical traits weren't good enough to work in the nfl

• Like 1