The MVP race

Steelersfan43

1 hour ago, Forge said:

For me I'd go Dak and Stroud at the top as almost a lock. 

Honestly, I'm kind of digging Josh Allen at #3. I'm not sure if thats a hot take or not. 

Purdy and Tua are basically the same candidate to me and Lamar. I really don't care but I'd view them as 4-6. 

Mahomes is a difficult one because there's no doubt he's doing a ton of heavy lifting for the offense, but frankly, I'm not sure the numbers are actually good enough to. I think in the end, the numbers still matter for MVP voting. 

If you went with a rigidly literal definition of the phrase "most valuable," yeah, I think Allen could be up there. But it's been an unspoken rule for ages now that the team has to be up there in the standings and pretty competitive for the winner. Otherwise Drew Brees would've knocked down some MVPs those years the defense was terrible and he was really all they had going for them. Allen's visible role in some losses basically everyone watched also doesn't help.

Justin Herbert has been out of the conversation all year for the same reason. He's played better than a number of QBs thrown in there at various points, and the rest of the team has not done him many favors. But when you need a lot of luck to maybe back in to a wildcard spot, it's just accepted that they're out of it.

Like, on the flip side, Mahomes has stayed in the conversation all year, despite visibly not putting up the statistical performances you'd expect of an MVP these days. And I think it's purely because the scenario continues to exist that he goes ham for a month and KC locks down the 1 seed, and that would override much. 

• Like 3

For me, at this point, it's Purdy, Dak, and Stroud. I think Dak would need to win the East to get it. He'll have a hard time over Hurts or Purdy if he's a wildcard again. Stroud needs to at least make the playoffs, and probably have the others fall back a bit. If he wins the AFC South that's a huge boost. Purdy just needs to stay the course and have none of the other guys end particularly strongly.

Mahomes is up there on name recognition. Tua and Hill cannibalize each other. Same with Purdy/CMC, but Purdy is playing better than Tua. Allen and Herbert won't even make the playoffs. Lawrence and Jackson don't have the stats. No one respects Goff. I could see Hurts winning it, but I don't think he should. Honestly hasn't looked that impressive to me this year. The tush push is saving what otherwise has been a worse season from him than last year in every regard. He also just hasn't looked healthy in months. Lol at defensive players.

• Like 4

The dolphins offense every time they faced a good or great defense has gotten smacked in the face, why hasn’t Tyreek mvp candidacy taken a hit for that?

Tyreek against the chiefs was one of the worst games any of these candidates have had and it’s basically glossed over. He wasn’t good against the Bills either 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

The dolphins offense every time they faced a good or great defense has gotten smacked in the face, why hasn’t Tyreek mvp candidacy taken a hit for that?

Tyreek against the chiefs was one of the worst games any of these candidates have had and it’s basically glossed over. He wasn’t good against the Bills either 

Who considers Tyreek a legitimate candidate to win MVP?

Purdy had a 3 game stretch with 3 TD, 5 INT in 3 straight losses, shouldn't that also be held against him?

17 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

He was good for a 3 week stretch, largely was an average QB before that. He’s been a huge 2nd half season player two years in a row. He had no shot at MVP. 

I don’t think that anyone is saying that he is…? He’s been really good but statistically hasn’t been a rockstar. And there are QBs on great teams with better resumes this year. 

1 minute ago, sammymvpknight said:

I don’t think that anyone is saying that he is…? He’s been really good but statistically hasn’t been a rockstar. And there are QBs on great teams with better resumes this year. 

Jags fan was trying to make a case which is laughable. 

45 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Who considers Tyreek a legitimate candidate to win MVP?

Purdy had a 3 game stretch with 3 TD, 5 INT in 3 straight losses, shouldn't that also be held against him?

It was held against him, which is the point 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Nick Wright said it perfectly. If Purdy can't even make the promo for games (over CMac), then he ain't the MVP. If the actor isn't on the movie poster, he's probably not the Lead.

As much as we make fun of Dak, he should probably be the front-runner right now. The schedule gets rough though so we'll see.

I hope you're being facetious, because that take via Nick Wright is up there with Colin judging a QB based on whether they wear their hat backwards or not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I hope you're being facetious, because that take via Nick Wright is up there with Colin judging a QB based on whether they wear their hat backwards or not. 

Not being facetious at all. Dude’s exceeded expectations and he’s playing great football. But there are like 10-12 other QBs you can sub him out with and they’d be Super Bowl contenders. I think sometimes people forget what the V means in MVP.

13 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Not being facetious at all. Dude’s exceeded expectations and he’s playing great football. But there are like 10-12 other QBs you can sub him out with and they’d be Super Bowl contenders. I think sometimes people forget what the V means in MVP.

Then no one should ever win MVP then, because many former winners in a very similar circumstance the same detracting logic could be applied to. 

"Well if player X had this, this, and this in their favor they'd be an MVP too. They'd be in the HOF too..."

Typically the NFL doesn't award players for victims of a negative circumstance. Nor are players penalized for benefiting off a fortuitous situation. That would in-itself turn into a very slippery slope where the lines in the sand could be infinitely moved due to a infinite juggling of hypotheticals. The production a player puts up is the production. Situation is irrelevant. 

9 hours ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Nick Wright said it perfectly. If Purdy can't even make the promo for games (over CMac)

Looking at the First Things First videos page on youtube, they seem to put Purdy in the thumbnails of just about every 49ers related video. 30+ videos with Brock in less than 3 months. That's ignoring the videos with fixed thumbnails (Podcast, Tiers, Upset Alert). The "Nick's Tiers" would add another 14 more. 1 video with Deebo (Deebo/Parsons smack talking before Dal/SF week 5). 1 video with The Prince (NFC week 10 recap video where they **** on Nick about The Prince), and 1 video with Greenlaw (Goongate).

Edited by typecast
  • Like 1