The MVP race

Steelersfan43

58 minutes ago, adamq said:

Speaking of Lamar, is he getting slept on in this conversation? The Ravens are the 1 seed and his weapons are now Gus Edwards, OBJ, Nelson Agholar and some rookies...

I think yesterday's game should definitely propel him to the front of the line. Their defense has been really good this year but not yesterday. They needed him to play like an MVP yesterday and he did just that.

And your point about weapons is spot-on. I'd be surprised if any of those skill players are even Pro Bowl Alternates. The entire offense - rushing and passing - runs through Lamar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

If the Ravens beat the Jags, 49ers, and Dolphins in the next 3 weeks to get the 1 seed with Lamar playing well, and Dallas loses another game, I could see the case for Lamar. That's pretty improbable, though. 

Doesn't seem that improbable to me, with the Jags struggling as of late/Trevor dealing with his sprain, and getting the Dolphins in Baltimore. Cowboys also struggle on the road and have two straight road teams against Buffalo trying to keep their playoff hopes alive next week and the Dolphins in Miami the next. @SF is probably the toughest game remaining on the Ravens' schedule, but as a Niners fan myself I think that's very much either team's game to lose. Baltimore might have the defense to slow down Shanny's offense and the 49ers struggle to stop mobile QBs like Lamar

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Does anyone actually believe Purdy is going to win MVP? All I see on Twitter are Purdy MVP stats, but I still feel like Dak and Lamar are ahead of him. 

When's the last time a QB won an MVP award where his team ran the ball more than they threw it and his RB had a historic year?

I said yesterday that I don't believe he has a real shot to win it. Too many people who think that he's a replaceable NPC. 

His numbers pretty much dictate that he should be in the conversation though. The dude is averaging 9.9 yards per attempt. Absolutely bonkers. 

• Like 2

Just now, Forge said:

Definitely not 

Why not? In the hypothetical scenario that the Packers win out and Love plays great down the stretch, he'll have an argument. Packers offense is the youngest since the 0-16 Browns while missing his all pro LT for the entire year, Aaron Jones missing most of the year and our #1 WR Watson missing a good portion of the season. 

Most years, Love wouldn't have a case but all the top MVP front runners have solid arguments against them. 

Dak: The front runner right now. Had a slow start to season. The big counter argument was he didn't have a win against a top team. He answered those questions last night with a big win over the eagles. Have a tough schedule remaining with Bills, Dolphins and Lions coming up. If Cowboys run the table, it's his award to lose.

Purdy: Had a terrible 3 game stretch early in the season. Arguably the 5th best(not important) player on the Niners offense

Lamar Jackson: Counting stats are lacking. Only 21 TDs on the year but he's led Ravens to #1 seed in the AFC with the worst supporting cast of any of the other current MVP candidates.