Week 8: San Francisco 49ers vs Cincinnati Bengals

J-ALL-DAY

But on a serious note, I don't see how the 49ers could move on from Wilks during the season. The coaching staff has no one with experience calling defenses. Everyone can talk about Kocurek but we have no clue how that would play out is he an X and Os guy?

I'd love for the 49ers to bring in a defensive-minded consultant who has experience. 

Edited by 49erurtaza
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

But on a serious note, I don't see how the 49ers could move on from Wilks during the season. The coaching staff has no one with experience calling defenses. Everyone can talk about Kocurek but we have no clue how that would play out is he an X and Os guy?

They won't fire Wilks at 5-3. Also, I don't think there is anyone on the squad to promote from within that may have even called plays before as a DC candidate? Our DL coach doesn't want to job. Holland is the only other one, but he's probably would have been promoted in the offseason if Kyle thought he was a serious contender. Maybe Kyle just got tired of losing D coordinators, and that was part of the reason he gave Wilkes the job.

Shanahan's teams have been in much worse situations. In particular October for whatever reason. Sounds like Kyle believes the answers to the skid are already on the roster, and that everyone just needs to regroup. Fair enough. 49ers have allowed exactly two more points this year through 8 games than they did last year through 8 games. It's just the three straight losses look like the team is in freefall. I want to see if Wilkes gets it right over the BYE week. If they get clobbered by Jacksonville with everything working in the 49ers favor to try, and turn the season around then I'll be concerned.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

3 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I'd love for the 49ers to bring in a defensive-minded consultant who has experience. 

I absolutely agree. Without a turnaround I think wilks could be one and done, but I don't see him getting canned in season

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I mean the int at the 5 is as fluky as it gets. 

BUT asking him to just eat it there wouldn't be fair when we've seen him make lemonade out of lemons using that same type of improv. 

I was fuming at the time but what can you do??

Some time the other guy who get paid also, makes a play.

The other one is more concerning for me, as it seem he just kind of had his mind made up and was determine to go to Ayuik. He has to see the field better in that scenario.

Kyle said in the post game that he was supposed to hand that ball off. Elijah had a walk in touchdown, which is saying something because I maintain that he is cooked. I started cheering before I realized Purdy still had the ball. 

Wunderkind will bounce back. First year as a starter was going to have these jitters. Steve Young in 1991 if I recall was a bit up and down his first season as a starter, and the team found themselves at 5-5 coming off a 14-2 NFC title game appearance. Then Steve got a knee injury that kept him out a while. 

Purdy won't be the next Steve Young...but I'll settle for the next Jeff Garcia with Shanahan as the maestro. :)

Long season. 5-4 I'll be worried, but even more so if the 49ers are on the outside-looking in by Thanksgiving. 

So Purdy was bad and flat out terrible for most of the Browns game. First game he looked flustered from start to finish.  But the last two games he has been close to being damn near perfect....through three quarters. And then in money time, he's been making some costly turnovers. Purdy mentioned in the post game conference it just has to mainly do with him trying to make plays instead of letting them come to him as he does for majority of the game. He tries to press a little too hard. We know he is always going to have some physical limitations but if he takes away his biggest strength which is being able to process better than almost any other QB, then he will end up having some Nick Mullens moments. Some INTs are going to happen and you flat out have to live with it. Purdy is always looking to make the big play and that's the difference between him and Jimmy. It's the reason why the offense took the next step and it wasn't just due to the CMC addition. However, the INT he threw when we were going to tie the game was HORRENDOUS. That's one where he needs to just eat it and get down. Yes, that will result in a three or four yard loss but you get to live to play another down. Even if he completes that ball, it's going to come back with an illegal man down the field. 

The 2nd INT he threw where he didn't see the LB was a Jimmy G type of INT. That's one where you predetermine your throw and don't actually process the field. Those are the ones he needs to avoid completely.

One thing that is laughable is saying that Shanny should or wants to bench Purdy. Um, the man is completing 68% of his passes with a 12 to 5 TD/INT ratio with a QB rating of 105. Three tough losses and two terrible performances down the stretch is not going to get this man benched. He is Shanny's guy through and through. You have to live with these types of growing pains. Purdy admitted he's been pressing and trying to make plays and knows what he can and can't get away with....Well, after the bye week he's going to need to prove that on the field. We have the Jaguars, Ravens, Seahawks 2x and the Eagles left on the schedule. Some of those games are going to take some late magic to win. Purdy can be the reason we win the division and get a top 2 seed or he can be the main reason we lose the division and are a WC team. No pressure kid! 

• Like 3

Defensively, we looked awful against the Falcons/Chiefs back to back. Legit could not stop those teams at all and started slow the following week against the Rams before getting it together. We finally got to a QB and had a three sack game which was better but overall Burrow was still far too comfortable and picked this defense apart. There needs to be tweaks from Wilks or else this is going to be at best, an average defense. And there is too much talent for that. It's essentially the same defense as last season. We have the same amount of high level performers. 

Bosa flat out needs to get back to winning his 1 on 1s and Wilks needs to have the corners play tighter up at the LOS.

The Jaguars are the perfect test post-bye week. A red hot team with a top notch QB and offense. Put up or shut up time. 

11 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Fair enough. Interesting you provide the most insight when the 49ers lose games. 

If the Niners show that they're a team that can actually win a SB e.g. look like a version of the 1994 squad then I'll definitely provide a lot of insight about that but until that day comes I'll continue to give reasons as to why they're not winning the SB for said season.

Believe me if the Niners were the team to beat I'd be raving about them but I know not to boast about a team that's just another team.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Defensively, we looked awful against the Falcons/Chiefs back to back. Legit could not stop those teams at all and started slow the following week against the Rams before getting it together. We finally got to a QB and had a three sack game which was better but overall Burrow was still far too comfortable and picked this defense apart. There needs to be tweaks from Wilks or else this is going to be at best, an average defense. And there is too much talent for that. It's essentially the same defense as last season. We have the same amount of high level performers. 

Bosa flat out needs to get back to winning his 1 on 1s and Wilks needs to have the corners play tighter up at the LOS.

The Jaguars are the perfect test post-bye week. A red hot team with a top notch QB and offense. Put up or shut up time. 

The stretch after the bye is pretty rough. Wouldn't at all be that shocked if we are right at .500 at some point during it

Btw, these struggles that Purdy is having right now? That is one of the reasons Shanny got Lance out of there when he did. He saw the reception Lance got in the preseason game and knew if Purdy struggled to start the season, the fanbase would be calling for Lance. Very few will ever call for Darnold.

With Deebo and Williams returning after they bye week, the run game should be better and we should be able to convert better in the opponents side of the field but the defensive adjustments are something that need to be made....but I'm not convinced they will be made unfortunately lol.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Forge said:

The stretch after the bye is pretty rough. Wouldn't at all be that shocked if we are right at .500 at some point during it

Well, we will need to beat the Bucs and then hopefully split with the Jags/Seahawks. If Trent/Deebo return, we should be okay. 

I think this team now likely finishes 12-5. Two more losses on the ledger. And not good enough to get the #1 seed. Will need to win on the road again to have a chance to reach the SB.