Updated Steelers 2024 Draft needs after 6 games?

rlon

I don’t think the order of need is clear, but I’ll try:

1). CB (outside and slot capable) I don’t believe Denver trades Surtain for just a second, and I would only want the Steelers to do this if it is a second in 2024 and perhaps one later pick in 2025…AND he basically agrees to the terms of a long term deal

2). DL/DT (versatile NT?)

3). OC (go elite or don’t bother)

4). ILB (athlete and player)

5). RT (there is no way Chuks should stay unless he agrees to a big cut)

2nd tier needs? No particular order:

SS, RB, WR, QB, TE

Edited by rlon
  • Like 1

If they want a run stopper at DT they can get a good one in the 4th round.  If they want a Cam replacement that is a high pick.

I would put CB/safety and center high on my list.  All depends on where they pick and what the depth is for each of those positions.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 3

I'd trade a 2nd for P.Surtain Jr or J.Alexander if you could get them for that.
I'd trade a 5th for D.Hopkins, who is suffering in Tenn.

I think this draft you have to get two starter capable DBs.
And you need Cam's replacement on the DL.
An ILB would be great, so would a OC and WR.

CB
DL
ILB
OC/OG
WR

• Like 1

In no order…OL(more specifically C and RT)…DL(Benton is a 3 tech…need run stuffer and long term Cam replacement)…WR(can save $20 mill with cuts of DJ and Robinson but I think DJ stays) and secondary(need 2 CBs and a long term Kazee replacement)

Im holding off of ILB until they can find somebody to keep them clean…it won’t matter til they find that guy(s).

I also sat QB but they’re going to give Him another year.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 7:41 AM, rlon said:

I don’t think the order of need is clear, but I’ll try:

1). CB (outside and slot capable) I don’t believe Denver trades Surtain for just a second, and I would only want the Steelers to do this if it is a second in 2024 and perhaps one later pick in 2025…AND he basically agrees to the terms of a long term deal

Denver won't give him away. They are going to want a #1. Someone may offer a #1 and something else. 

I am not sure I would want to give up a #1 (now it sounds good, but draft day, you suffer waiting and watching prospects pass you by.). Don't get me wrong, he would be worth a #1 and would help give us our best set of young CB's since Rod Woodson's days.  However, he's also going to be looking for CB1 $$$. There's a lot of money invested on the defensive side of the ball. You are going to have to sign Pickett and Pickens down the road as well. 

Depending on what happens, this would be my #2 need. 

2). DL/DT (versatile NT?)

#3 My personal preference would be a NG. You can typically get those guys after round three. However, I would strongly consider anoher Kenu Benton type to pair inside.  I don't value the sacks that we get from DT as much I do someone who can make second and third down a longer down in distance.  If they can get some occasional pressure, but are a beast stopping the run I would be thrilled. I know that is not the popular or consensus thought, but I am tired of teams ramming the ball down our throats. 

3). OC (go elite or don’t bother)

This is my #1 need. I don't know what this class looks like right now, but I am looking to draft the franchise C. I want a more Dermonti Dawson type than Pouncey. I.E. a guy who will bulldoze people more than a quick-footed guy who can pull. 

On 10/26/2023 at 7:41 AM, rlon said:

4). ILB (athlete and player)

#5. Although, I would like to find "that guy." I would like to keep Kwon Alexander and Cole Holcomb. I kinda feel like it is Robinson versus Elandon for that other spot. 

5). RT (there is no way Chuks should stay unless he agrees to a big cut)

#4 eed. Yes we need a good RT. As everyone is in love with the forward pass, give a versitile guy who can road grade. I would love to put "play-action" into the arsenal by being able to pound the rock. 

2nd tier needs? No particular order:

SS, RB, WR, QB, TE

I would say SS and TE for me.  We need a TE who can block.  Muth is versatile, but weak blocking. Mount Washington may surpass Muth if given a fair sot with his size, blocking, and he has abilities to catch. For whatever reason, we thin that the TE is an ineligible rceiver in this offense. A TE should be a young QB's best friend or pretty darn close, considering we have Pickens. 

On 10/26/2023 at 10:23 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

I kind of like our ILBs. I hope we can keep them together. I think it'll be hardest to keep Kwon, but I'd try to. 

I do too. Kwon is who I would start with. Roberts is more of a thumper and we have Robinson.  Cole is still learning the Steelers system but can do some good things. He would be a decent fit for another year until a young drafted ILB could be developed. Kwon offers the best blend of coverage and run stuff. He also plays with some fire.  He has made some underrated and unheralded tackles that have helped the Steelers win some games in crunch time. 

5_AmbassadorKwan.gif

Yeah, I dont see ILB as a major need.   Not to say I would pass on a good one, but I think our DLine is the bigger issue right now.     I think our current ILBs, while not spectacular, are good enough to hold it down if we improve up front.      

ILB is kind of like the RB of the defense IMO.    Unless you are in position to draft a special prospect (not special ATHLETE ), you never draft them in round 1.       You can find really good inside guys on day 2.      Even Shazier I think was really iffy as a first rounder.     He was often very up and down for us, despite the rose tinted glasses many view him with now.        

WR will definitely be an early need....but they shouldnt force a pick if it isnt there, and it might not be in the 20s.      I think there is a good chance Dionte is still on the roster, so I think its much more likely we draft one on day 2 unless someone falls to the bottom of round 1.

Right now....DE, Center and Secondary are probably my top 3.     WR and RT are up there too.   

50 minutes ago, 43M said:

ILB is kind of like the RB of the defense IMO.    Unless you are in position to draft a special prospect (not special ATHLETE ), you never draft them in round 1.       You can find really good inside guys on day 2.      Even Shazier I think was really iffy as a first rounder.     He was often very up and down for us, despite the rose tinted glasses many view him with now.        

I really disagree with this analogy across the LOS. 

If I had to make crossover comparisons it would be:

RB = NT and TE = ILB

RB/NT being limited value to you. They play in heavy rotations anymore. Often times they are one dimensional. You can find decent ones late, serviceable ones in UDFA. Paying one big money is just stupid. 

TE/ILB bring huge value when they can do both parts of their job at a high enough level. There’s loads of guys you can get later that can do the run or pass part, one always slips in the draft, and there tends to be a lot of things that hold you back from committing to one. But when you have an elite one you are happy to pay them. 

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

I really disagree with this analogy across the LOS. 

If I had to make crossover comparisons it would be:

RB = NT and TE = ILB

RB/NT being limited value to you. They play in heavy rotations anymore. Often times they are one dimensional. You can find decent ones late, serviceable ones in UDFA. Paying one big money is just stupid. 

TE/ILB bring huge value when they can do both parts of their job at a high enough level. There’s loads of guys you can get later that can do the run or pass part, one always slips in the draft, and there tends to be a lot of things that hold you back from committing to one. But when you have an elite one you are happy to pay them. 

Fair enough, but TEs arent usually worth first round picks either unless its a premium talent, so it still falls in line with the point I was making.

Im not downplaying the impact of a top end ILB....Im just saying very few come out that have that clear upside, and many often conflate being a great athlete at that position with being a great player at that position.   

The last bonafide special talent  to come out at that position was probably Devin Lloyd (I remember because we foolishly traded up for a much lesser Devin a few picks later)

So many teams reach on just okay ILBs early on because they have good athleticism, and it rarely works out.

I know it doesn't matter but I was bored

Let's address the trenches and get a much needed injection of talent 

PIT A marius Mims

OT Georgia

54. PIT

Malachi Corley

WR Western Kentucky

88.PIT

Ruke Orhorhoro

DT Clemson

108.PIT

Bryce Foster

OC Texas A&M

119.PIT

T'Vondre Sweat

DT Texas

184.PIT

Gavin Bartholomew

TE Pittsburgh

215.PIT

Michael Jurgens

C Wake Forest

On 10/27/2023 at 11:59 AM, Steeler Hitman said:

I do too. Kwon is who I would start with. Roberts is more of a thumper and we have Robinson.  Cole is still learning the Steelers system but can do some good things. He would be a decent fit for another year until a young drafted ILB could be developed. Kwon offers the best blend of coverage and run stuff. He also plays with some fire.  He has made some underrated and unheralded tackles that have helped the Steelers win some games in crunch time. 

Khan should give Kwon a 2 year deal  and be set at ILB.  These ILB"s are getting better as the season goes on, should be no longer a weakness for the first time in several years overall.  

and no, we don't claim bush off of waivers once seattle has had enough of him (or burns for that matter) 

• Like 1