2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

22 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I’ve got Verse in front of them all too. But those freak arms might close the gap for Turner

I wouldn't be upset with Turner at all - he's also only 21 while Verse is already 23/24

I also may be a little biased, my cousin has gone up against Turner the last two seasons and he said he's one of the softer edge guys in the SEC

If you are playing with the draft simulators and they don't allow you to trade Fields, just trade future Bears picks until they accept.  

Pick up a second rounder or whatever you think Fields can fetch.  

Only one of them I know of allows player trades, but I like to skip around and use them all.  

3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

I also may be a little biased, my cousin has gone up against Turner the last two seasons and he said he's one of the softer edge guys in the SEC

interesting tidbit.

It's tough for the #9 pick tbh.... Draft positional value says you probably need a an OT there, 3T, or Edge......... but whether it's truly the "BPA"  I think there's also a strong argument to be made that we need the best OFFENSIVE player available with that selection, in order to better help what we all presume to be our next QB.  Like....we COULD get a receiver in the 2nd round, but stacking the offense with weapons only helps a rookie QB not have to shoulder as much of the team on his back initially...

One of the big things I think the Bears are trying to do right onw is pick swap themselves higher than 9. The rumor mill I've heard from various podcasts has the RUMORS as such (NONE OF THIS IS CONFIRMED):

Pittsburg: Wanted Fields, but we wanted pick #20 instead of their 2nd rounder. No discussion since.

Atlanta: Made an offer  that was essentially pick #43 and Pick #8 for Pick #9 and Fields. There might have been a later round in there as well, I can't accurately remember. This was the current "winning" offer.

NYG: Was interested and told they need to beat Atlanta's offer. The presumption is #9 and Fields for #6 and #39. No contact since.

The "rumored" NYG deal is what I think they want, because pick #6 opens up Nabers/Alt/Fashanau (or maybe garuntees Odunze if they think his market is a bit hotter than most boards)

Have to say I am a little disappointed with the measurements of the DL...just not many guys truly fit what we want up front...

Verse - Under 255lbs - Under 34" arms.

Turner - Under 250lbs - great length mind you.

Robinson - Under 255lbs - Under 33" arms

Booker - Only 240lbs - under 34" arms

Braswell - Only 250lbs - under 34" arms

Trice - Only 245lbs (25lbs lighter than his list weight) under 33" arms

Darius Robinson & Marshawn Kneeland were the only two who ticked a lot of the boxes we want at DE IMO.

Same goes for the top DT...

Murphy - Under 6-1" - Under 300 - Under 33" arms

Newton - Under 6-3" - just around 300lbs - Under 33" arms

Fiske - Under 300lbs - only 31" arms

Wingo - Only 6-0" - under 285lbs - only 32" arms

Mid round guys measured up far better...Fabien Lovette made real money...Maason Smith, Leonard Taylor, Ruke Orhorhoro, Kris Jenkins all looked good & Michael Hall Jr came in far taller and longer than I thought he would...

I would still love us to target DL in FA over a lot of these guys.

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I get frustrated with you because you don't read the full nuance of my posts and impute things to me that I don't say or think.

You did it again at end.  Part of reason for my last post was to show you what it is like.   

People do make dumb decisions off little things rather than looking at bigger picture.   That is stupid.  I am giving Poles benefit of doubt that he is not stupid, I try to imagine what I would do were I him.

Maybe I am a crappy interviewer.  I have helped hire people.  And I am going to hire people in near future. I didn't and won't do it solely off an interview or their resume.  I check with people who know them that I trust.  I see what they have actually done in past.  An interview is just part of it and not that biggest part.  

My point in posting DBB X post was that interview isn't THAT important.   Because it is part of sea of other info. 

At this point you have private investigators that have thoroughly investigated Caleb.  You have candidly talked to all his old coaches at length about him.   You have watched all of his college film.   You have spoken with USC and OK beat writers.  Your scouts have probably attended practices.  If he got written up for pulling a girls pig tails in 3rd grade you know it.  If he was at a drinking party in HS you know it.  

You have been thinking about all scenarios of number 1 pick since before you even had it.

As for Caleb, he is a human being.   He is not perfect.  He is not a perfect prospect.   He is a very good prospect.  He is probably a top 6 prospect in last 10 years.  Which is quite high to me.  Even very good prospects have a better chance of failing than succeeding.  That is nature of the beast.  

Even with that I would entertain trading down and taking Maye for a big enough package as I have posted here and elsewhere.

I am not pro-Caleb or anti-Fields.  I am pro Bears success.   In my opinion since post-Browns game - that success is best served by drafting Caleb and moving on from Fields.  Or in a possible alternative trading down with WA for A LOT and drafting Maye. 

I believe that Poles agrees with me and that is what Bears are going to do.  That is what I want Bears to do.  I don't know it.  We will see what happens. 

If Bears don't do that - I will not spiral.  I will be upset - but it will be relative upset.   It will not be like a loved one dying or anything serious.  I will stay a Bears fan regardless of what they do (unless maybe they leave the state of IL).   

I am moving on from this little spat as I don't care for spats all that much.

@StLunatic88

No hard feelings St.

Just doing my taxes and being grumpy.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

I had Watts in my most recent mock. Not surprised to see him put up these numbers.

Would really like to get him in here to develop 

Obviously doesn't have the skill level and consistency but just from how his body type he looks like Sweat...you can see him some of his snaps when he gets it right he wins in the same sort of way...Poles, Flus & co obviously loved Sweat to make the move for him so I can see us targeting Watts as high as the 4th to make sure we get him here and working with Washington to try and strike gold.

• Like 1

For what its worth, everyone in Bears twitter at the combine is saying there is no need to be concerned about whether Caleb Williams coming in below 6'1, they all say he's that tall.  

Edited by TankWilliams

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Verse was my DE target going into today and him running 4.58 at 255 lb only further entrenched that for me. I’d take him at 9 without thinking twice. My guy this year on defense. 

I feel like I say this every year, but I really want them to prioritze OL, WR or just any offensive players to try and make this as good an environment as possible for Newguy QB.  Not a tape guy but I haven't even paid attention to any defensive players at the top of the draft. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Verse was my DE target going into today and him running 4.58 at 255 lb only further entrenched that for me. I’d take him at 9 without thinking twice. My guy this year on defense. 

Tough choice between DE and WR at #9. Dallas Turner lit it up he may actually go higher than I thought along with Trice