2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

For all the unrealistic expectations that’ll be out there for him in 2024, I don’t think this one is unrealistic. He’s got 2 top WRs, 2 good receiving RBs (Swift and Roschon) and 2 good receiving TEs, and maybe more on the way. If he plays all 17 he probably should eclipse 3815 yards, even with some rookie growing pains. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

For all the unrealistic expectations that’ll be out there for him in 2024, I don’t think this one is unrealistic. He’s got 2 top WRs, 2 good receiving RBs (Swift and Roschon) and 2 good receiving TEs, and maybe more on the way. If he plays all 17 he probably should eclipse 3815 yards, even with some rookie growing pains. 

Agreed.   

Please no sitting behind a scrub journeyman vet for a year.  I beg you Poles.  Don’t do that. 

My last hurdle. 

If we have a pro bowl QB already in place I am (more) fine with him sitting a year. 

Bringing in a Dalton or Glennon who has to learn system at same time and gets 90% of offseason reps will drive me absolutely nuts.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Agreed.   

Please no sitting behind a scrub journeyman vet for a year.  I beg you Poles.  Don’t do that. 

My last hurdle. 

If we have a pro bowl QB already in place I am (more) fine with him sitting a year. 

Bringing in a Dalton or Glennon who has to learn system at same time and gets 90% of offseason reps will drive me absolutely nuts.  

I don't think they're going to do this, but the prospect is terrifying.  I can absolutely picture Eberflus pulling a Raiders and saying "Get me that Joe Flacco that torched us in the 4th quarter" and then Williams' dad freaking out and holding Virginia hostage.  But they wouldn't ,right? Right?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I agree...I think people who want to say he is a top 8 QB the minute he gets drafted or that he needs to win at least 1 playoff game and all that nonsense need to remember he is still a rookie and the expectations have to come down a lot for some...that said he has so many weapons who are just capable of keeping the ball moving forward that it is all going to add up over the course of a game/season.

I just learned about this but hadnt seen it discussed here and figured it was relevant:

https://www.wafb.com/2023/05/17/lsus-malik-nabers-gun-charge-remains-dropped-new-orleans-da-reinstates-others-charges/?outputType=amp

A little over a year ago, Nabers was in New Orleans for Mardi Grad and was caught by the police with a gun in his waistband.  Sounds like the state dropped the misdemeanor charge under the condition he surrender the gun to the state.  Sounds like some first offender type program.  And from all accounts he was totally cooperative and forthcoming with the police when confronted.  So I’m not trying to make this sound like the crime of the century, but i do wonder how NFL teams will view this and if it will cause him to fall some.  His judgement has to come into question a little bit.

13 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

A little over a year ago, Nabers was in New Orleans for Mardi Grad and was caught by the police with a gun in his waistband.  Sounds like the state dropped the misdemeanor charge under the condition he surrender the gun to the state.  Sounds like some first offender type program.  And from all accounts he was totally cooperative and forthcoming with the police when confronted.  So I’m not trying to make this sound like the crime of the century, but i do wonder how NFL teams will view this and if it will cause him to fall some.  His judgement has to come into question a little bit.

The thing that bothered me with Nabers most was his CONSTANT on field celebrations anytime he did anything. Struck me as a diva, and the kind of personality that might be a headache down the road. Absolutely love him as a receiving talent, but I'd have to be VERY THOROUGH diving into his personality/character.   Where as Odunze I'm lower on as a receiver, but the limited things I've seen heard is that he's the kind of character/personality you "pound the table for".

That all said, I really feel like the most likely outcome for us is a trade down and then trying to acquire JPJ or Zach Frazier at Center.

My dream scenario right now is us getting a pick ~15-20 and taking JPJ and then ~pick 40ish and getting Troy Franklin.  His combine wasn't that hot (he reportedly had the flu, but hard to know if that's real or a made up excuse), but there's some good discussion about him on the draft reddit boards (and a few others).... I think his style is a PERFECT compliment to Allen and Moore, while also meshing well with what Caleb does well.

It'll be rough finding the right trade scenarios to get that together, however....... 

All in all, my gut feeling is telling me that one of JPJ or Zach Frazier is a Bear and likely starting Center, and whatever trades  are needed to make that happen.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I turned on AL defense vs. LSU to watch Dallas Turner as a potential pick for us and I find myself really liking the LSU LT instead.  #66.  

He’s good.  

ya he's already projected top 10 for next year

11 hours ago, CBears019 said:

I just learned about this but hadnt seen it discussed here and figured it was relevant:

https://www.wafb.com/2023/05/17/lsus-malik-nabers-gun-charge-remains-dropped-new-orleans-da-reinstates-others-charges/?outputType=amp

this is the main reason why he has a chance to drop to 9 - teams know he can ball, it's about *cliche* knowing the person

29 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

ya he's already projected top 10 for next year

Really?  Honestly had no idea.

Doesn't surprise me though.  I think two positions I can evaluate on fairly high level is OL and interior DL.

From coaching those positions a lot of years and going to a lot of glazier coaching clinics.  They were designed for HS and college coaches, but were free to youth coaches.   So I took advantage whenever they were in town.  And they came to Chicago every year.  Not sure if they are still doing them.  

Mostly college and NFL coaches teaching. 

36 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

this is the main reason why he has a chance to drop to 9 - teams know he can ball, it's about *cliche* knowing the person

Me.  I wanted Sapp and Randy Moss and Pickens.  I hesitated on Jalen Carter, but honestly more because of his purported laziness than off field concerns.

I will definitely take high talent, bad character at times.  To me it would depend on what the bad character is and how talented they were.  

But I don't have the inside scoops or background interviews.  So I can never truly say what I would do without that.

IRL at middle school level, I passed on more talented kids for the 'A' team because of various reasons.  Laziness or crazy parents or attitude problem or whatever.   You have to.  

People talk about cancers on a team.  I don't know about other sports, but in football that is 100% real.  It can ruin you if wrong person or persons gain an influence.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

this is the main reason

why he has a chance to drop to 9 - teams know he can ball, it's about *cliche* knowing the person

Then there's this analysis by Bugler, who I think is pretty good: