2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Not getting MH Jr. wouldn't make or break this draft for me. 

No one non-QB player is worth what you can get in trade for a #1 overall pick.  

To me to stay at #1 and select MH Jr. would be stupid.  

I wasn't suggesting MHJ would be the #1 pick. I agree you don't stay at #1 unless you grab a quarterback this year in particular. 

Who is the consensus #1 in this forum if you stay and grab a QB at #1? 

Just now, Old Guy said:

Were Fields comments taken out of context this week? The sound bite made it sound like he was resigned to his fate. Not sure if that was a small portion of the overall interview, which reporters love to do, or if indeed he meant what the soundbite said. 

If comment was true, it seems he sort of resigned himself to the fact he was moving on after this year. 

I didn't hear it.  I can guess though.   Fields is a realist.  He isn't stupid.  He probably just acknowledged fact that his job may be on the line after season is up.

You have your choice of college QBs.  

Doesn't mean it is going to happen that way. 

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

I would be shocked if he stayed in school.   I don't know what betting odds are, but I bet they are high and remain high against him staying.  Even with the rumors.

I believe he already opted out of the bowl game. That is usually the first step in leaving. I'm with you but if OSU comes up with 25, that is something he would have to sit back and think about long and hard. 

• Like 1

Just now, Old Guy said:

I wasn't suggesting MHJ would be the #1 pick. I agree you don't stay at #1 unless you grab a quarterback this year in particular. 

There isn't one I am aware of.

Pre season it would have been Caleb Williams same as most everyone.   But apparently he didn't have a great year.  

I personally don't start looking at college players until near end of season.  I don't watch college football anymore.  Just individual players for draft.

I have to say board has been pretty good on draft.  Drafts would have been way better last decade or so if this board was drafting.  Trubisky year majority wanted Mahomes or Watson.   Trubisky would have been 3rd choice.  

This at a time when many if not most were saying Mahomes was a system QB and that system has never worked in NFL.  

I personally didn't think they were taking QB and didn't look at them close. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

If it's me I'm backing the Brinks truck up for Harbaugh or Johnson, then letting them pick Williams or Maye. My third option is Slowik and I'm paying a DC that gets fired (hopefully Allen or Bowles) top money to run one side of the ball. Ryan Pace had the right formula but just made bad picks with Tru and Nagy.

If I'm picking im taking Williams, he has so much natural talent and is a leader on the field. He can make any throw and I t hink with a real OL he wont be under constant pressure, so he will start to fall in line with an offensive system. Then when things break down he lets innate gifts and abilities take over.

I don't care that he is a (apparently) a weirdo. I wonder if the talk about shares of a team and staying in college to make "more" money were just his dad being a moron and trying to be the next LeVar Ball.

3 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

If it's me I'm backing the Brinks truck up for Harbaugh or Johnson, then letting them pick Williams or Maye. My third option is Slowik and I'm paying a DC that gets fired (hopefully Allen or Bowles) top money to run one side of the ball. Ryan Pace had the right formula but just made bad picks with Tru and Nagy.

If I'm picking im taking Williams, he has so much natural talent and is a leader on the field. He can make any throw and I t hink with a real OL he wont be under constant pressure, so he will start to fall in line with an offensive system. Then when things break down he lets innate gifts and abilities take over.

I don't care that he is a (apparently) a weirdo. I wonder if the talk about shares of a team and staying in college to make "more" money were just his dad being a moron and trying to be the next LeVar Ball.

The bold part is the only thing that would scare me off from Williams. I don't follow him close enough to know if he's as big a moron as Ball. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

The bold part is the only thing that would scare me off from Williams. I don't follow him close enough to know if he's as big a moron as Ball. 

The father of the Ball's hasn't effected anything for them in the NBA. As I've stated here before, the Caleb Williams' dad story is a non-story. All he said was he prefers his son doesn't play for a losing franchise. All 5 top picks this year will be losing franchises. I'm sure he wants his son to make as much as possible, something not possible if he falls to the 20's and gets drafted by a "good" franchise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

The father of the Ball's hasn't effected anything for them in the NBA. As I've stated here before, the Caleb Williams' dad story is a non-story. All he said was he prefers his son doesn't play for a losing franchise. All 5 top picks this year will be losing franchises. I'm sure he wants his son to make as much as possible, something not possible if he falls to the 20's and gets drafted by a "good" franchise.

Wasn't he the reason the Lakers shipped Lonzo to NO after his second season? 

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

This.  You either stay at #1 and take your QB of choice or trade it for a haul.  Anything other than that and your GM deserves to get fired on the spot.

Trade it for a haul, get your WR and then go get his guy and let him sit behind Fields: 

Jayden Daniels, LSU Tigers

No 2024 NFL Draft quarterback prospect has helped their stock more than LSU’s Jayden Daniels in 2023. Daniels was viewed as a Day 3 sleeper prospect in the summer, but he’s quickly proving his merit as a legitimate QB3 contender.

Through 12 games in 2023, Daniels has completed 236 of 327 passes (72.2%) for 3,812 yards, 40 touchdowns, and just four interceptions. If those numbers aren’t gaudy enough, he’s also accounted for 1,134 yards and 10 scores on the ground.

It was a universally agreed-upon conclusion in the summer months that Daniels had the requisite athleticism and arm talent to be an NFL quarterback. That creation ability and running value were his primary selling points in 2022.

But in 2023, Daniels has completely reworked his game in the pocket, dicing up defenses with his quick processing ability, anticipation, smooth mechanics, accuracy, and situational precision.

31 minutes ago, dafreak said:

Trade it for a haul, get your WR and then go get his guy and let him sit behind Fields: 

Jayden Daniels, LSU Tigers

No 2024 NFL Draft quarterback prospect has helped their stock more than LSU’s Jayden Daniels in 2023. Daniels was viewed as a Day 3 sleeper prospect in the summer, but he’s quickly proving his merit as a legitimate QB3 contender.

Through 12 games in 2023, Daniels has completed 236 of 327 passes (72.2%) for 3,812 yards, 40 touchdowns, and just four interceptions. If those numbers aren’t gaudy enough, he’s also accounted for 1,134 yards and 10 scores on the ground.

It was a universally agreed-upon conclusion in the summer months that Daniels had the requisite athleticism and arm talent to be an NFL quarterback. That creation ability and running value were his primary selling points in 2022.

But in 2023, Daniels has completely reworked his game in the pocket, dicing up defenses with his quick processing ability, anticipation, smooth mechanics, accuracy, and situational precision.

He is rising..

https://lsutigerswire.usatoday.com/2023/12/08/lsu-football-jayden-daniels-cbs-2024-nfl-mock-draft-top-five/

Edited by dafreak

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Response to MHJ winning the Biletnikoff over him:

Gimme this guy. 

I’ve been saying it for a while but Nabers is closer to MHJ than some people think…in todays NFL where the ability to create on short throws & after the catch is so important Nabers is special as well.

• Like 5