2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Hypothetically, say he’s dead set on forcing supplemental status - couldn’t he just not declare for the draft, then do something that immediately declares he ineligible for college play this year (but doesn’t impact his draft status)?

If he did something intentional to become ineligible the NFL wouldn't want it to set a precedent and likely perceive it as malicious, they would likely just reject him and tell him to prepare for the 2025 draft. He's too late to transfer so he;d be screwed IMO.

8 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

So if we trade down to 3 (NE) the prevailing thought amongst the fan base has been that we’d take MHJ there. But, would Poles take Fashanu or Alt over Harrison knowing he can probably get Nabers or Odunze at 9? I feel like maybe this should be getting more consideration.

I’m pretty sure I’d take MHJ there, but getting one of those tackles would be awesome too, especially if we can still get Nabers, Odunze or maybe Bowers at 9 as well.  

If they draft an OT where do you kick Jones? You put him at C or RG? Or get a FA for C and then he battles both to get the best 5 on the line? I think he could fit in at C really well, his plus athleticism would be a boon there. Just has to work his butt off to get snaps to muscle memory.

25 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

If they draft an OT where do you kick Jones? You put him at C or RG? Or get a FA for C and then he battles both to get the best 5 on the line? I think he could fit in at C really well, his plus athleticism would be a boon there. Just has to work his butt off to get snaps to muscle memory.

My thinking would be that Jones becomes a very high end swing tackle in that scenario (a significant upgrade from Borom in that capacity) at a bargain cost for the next 2 years. I’m expecting we sign a proven starting C and draft a backup, and either sign veteran G depth or draft it in the middle rounds. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Hypothetically, say he’s dead set on forcing supplemental status - couldn’t he just not declare for the draft, then do something that immediately declares he ineligible for college play this year (but doesn’t impact his draft status)?

He still has to apply for the waiver to enter the Supp Draft, and with all this smoke already happening, pretty sure the NFL would just call BS and tell him too bad, and he’d have to just sit out a year. (Or play in a spring league? But I doubt the injury risk is worth it)

They aren’t going to let one prospect hold their entire process for ransom when they don’t have to. It would undermine everything they have in place, they already have enough troubles, they won’t invite this one in. 

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sugashane said:

He's too late to transfer so he;d be screwed IMO.

There’s a spring transfer window as well, so he could still do that (with the current stay of the one time waiver process in the NCAA) but if he made himself ineligible, it wouldn’t matter. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

So if we trade down to 3 (NE) the prevailing thought amongst the fan base has been that we’d take MHJ there. But, would Poles take Fashanu or Alt over Harrison knowing he can probably get Nabers or Odunze at 9? I feel like maybe this should be getting more consideration.

I had it in my first mock (when I had us at like 3 and 7? I think) going MHJ and Alt at the time. 

These two OTs are damn good, and would be an immediate upgrade on Braxton. Who I think we need to have a real conversation about his ‘23 season.

I still think Braxton is the best Guard on this roster, so I wouldn’t just push him to a Swing Tackle role immediately. He would always be your backup LT in this scenario due to experience. But if you commit to a high draft pick at LT, and give Braxton the entire offseason to commit to training as a Guard, he could be damn good.

I would then open up the Guard spots to a true competition (we HAVE to sign a true Center) as neither Jenkins or Davis have proven they are locked into Guard at this point. Id let the best duo be the starters and the 3rd man is your 6th OL. And on pure talent, Id expect that to be Braxton and Tevin (plus we can get out of Davis’ deal for pretty cheap after next year.

To be fair, I would be willing to do this for other OT prospects outside those Top 2. Not as bullish about that, but I truly do believe we’ve hit the ceiling for Braxton as a LT, and that’s just an OK player. Which isn’t a must upgrade, but I think we can improve the starting lineup in 2 spots with one move. 

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

My thinking would be that Jones becomes a very high end swing tackle in that scenario (a significant upgrade from Borom in that capacity) at a bargain cost for the next 2 years. I’m expecting we sign a proven starting C and draft a backup, and either sign veteran G depth or draft it in the middle rounds. 

Braxton has a sack allowed 2 sacks in 724 snaps this season...he isn't going to be a swing tackle...he will start and more than likely at LT next year which in this scheme he is more than capable of doing...of course the penalties have to be cut down but if the progression from year 2 to 3 was the same as year 1 to 2 then we have our LT for a long long time.

28 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Braxton has a sack allowed 2 sacks in 724 snaps this season...he isn't going to be a swing tackle...he will start and more than likely at LT next year which in this scheme he is more than capable of doing...of course the penalties have to be cut down but if the progression from year 2 to 3 was the same as year 1 to 2 then we have our LT for a long long time.

Agreed Braxton is a solid player who is still improving

I don't see them moving on from him.

If anything they need to add better depth at guard and a starting center.

As far as I'm concerned the bookends are set.

• Like 1

I mentioned it earlier in the week and I know there is no actual way of knowing but I would love to know what Caleb's actual mental makeup is...I am honestly 50/50 right now on what I think we do when it comes to Justin or Caleb...I can see the pros and cons from both sides and some of the things Caleb can do as a thrower are ridiculous but without knowing about that mentality I just can't see past some of the red flags (not the crying or the nail painting) more the sulking and not seemingly being much of a part of his team...

If it turns out he has the right personality & mentality with that arm then things will get interesting.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

That’s a little misleading MM since only about 360 of those 724 reps are pass pro reps, with probably 15-20% of those being WR screens that have almost no chance of generating pressure and even less chance to lead to a sack. To the eye test for me he allowed a lot of pressures that may have been sacks if not for Fields being Fields too. Plus, 9 penalties in 11 games is a lot too. I think he’s a decent starter at this point and not a must upgrade (he’s very Charles Leno-ish in that regard IMO), but I also think Olu or Alt would be a significant upgrade too. Those guys are potential franchise cornerstone LTs, and Jones isn’t that. The pressing need on the OL is at C. A legit C not only fixes that issue entirely but helps both Jenkins and Davis too (if they’re still there). Biadasz is probably my #1 FA target right now. 

We talk about building legit depth on the OL all the time. A guy like Braxton Jones being your swing tackle is exactly what that looks like in an ideal world - proven experienced starter capability on a mid-round entry level deal. That’s found money as OT depth. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

That’s a little misleading MM since only about 360 of those 724 reps are pass pro reps, with probably 15-20% of those being WR screens that have almost no chance of generating pressure and even less chance to lead to a sack. To the eye test for me he allowed a lot of pressures that may have been sacks if not for Fields being Fields too. Plus, 9 penalties in 11 games is a lot too. I think he’s a decent starter at this point and not a must upgrade (he’s very Charles Leno-ish in that regard IMO), but I also think Olu or Alt would be a significant upgrade too. Those guys are potential franchise cornerstone LTs, and Jones isn’t that. The pressing need on the OL is at C. A legit C not only fixes that issue entirely but helps both Jenkins and Davis too (if they’re still there). Biadasz is probably my #1 FA target right now. 

Speaking of misleading I think that might be a little high even for Getsy hahaha...

I disagree I think he had a few games where he gave up pressures but I also think he had a few games where he was lockdown on that left side...he is better than Leno ever was for us IMO and again this is a guy who came from a tiny program and is finding his way in the pros...is it perfect? No...but is it more than good enough if he continues to develop? Yes...the cornerstone LT argument is starting to fade because more teams are happy to line their best pass rusher up all over the line...we need strength right across the board...as you said Center is without doubt the biggest need right now...then worryingly RG IMO.

4 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

There’s a spring transfer window as well, so he could still do that (with the current stay of the one time waiver process in the NCAA) but if he made himself ineligible, it wouldn’t matter. 

Ah, I never heard of that. Good info, thanks.

I’m looking at the Patriots schedule for next season, they might be a 2-3 win team next year. If they are really willing to give the 3, a 2024 2nd and a 2025 1st for Caleb jump on that because they may be giving you the #1 pick again for another haul next year. I do think Caleb is better than JF1 but not to the point where I would pass up on a kings ransom. My biggest thing is I think I like Daniels more than both of them.  Take JD at 3 and the top WR at 9 (hopefully Nabers drops). I think Atlanta would give 2 2nd round picks for Justin (2024 and 2025). 

• Like 1

Interesting mock draft I just saw:

Chicago trades #1 to Washington for #2, #36 and #40

Caleb Williams goes #1

We draft Marvin Harrison, Jr. #2

We draft Jared Verse #9

No future first round picks, but we get #36 and #40 this year to address iOL/Move-TE/RB/DB etc. Thoughts?