2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

If it makes you feel any better no one is giving him any credit as long as he coaches for Reid and has Mahomes at QB.

He is a nice guy.  

Nice guy? Yes. But as he said, he's not an idiot. And to that I disagree.  Lol

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Nice guy? Yes. But as he said, he's not an idiot. And to that I disagree.  Lol

Every time i see him and hear his voice i think of the butler from scary movie with the little hand.  That grosses me out.

• Like 2

Interesting piece on Hoge (Fishbain) & Jahns this week with the best writer at USC on Williams…

Said the talent level around Caleb really dropped off from 2022 to 2023…pointed specifically to Addison and an all PAC-10 centre & all American guard

Said he felt that the coaching staff did a far worse job of fully building out the offence and just expect Caleb to make a play in 2023

Explained when he transferred to USC Jaxson Dart was the starting QB and his team mates loved him…said Caleb has to win them over and has been a leader ever since…said the transition will be interesting to leading grown men (Jahns pointed out the Bears questioned Fields leadership at the pro level when they were drafting him but obviously he has become a home run in that department)

Said that he never heard anything negative toward Caleb as a team mate from his OL or receivers

Reminded everyone that Williams took his entire OL to the Heisman ceremony when he won it in 2022

Said he used his NIL money to help the guys around him as well as gifting Beats to not only his teammates but also others at USC (I remember the woman’s football (soccer) team)

Reminded people that the UCLA game was not the only time Caleb had spoken with reporters and explained it happened after victories as much as it did after defeats…did point out given it was his last game at SC people did expect him to speak

Said if Caleb was coming out after 2022 there would be very little debate around his character…seemed to feel a lot of the nail painting, GQ interview, fashion shows, Utah nails, crying was overblown but the reporter did say when those things happened he knew it would be brought up in the draft cycle

Great point about Caleb being the first real face of NIL and some of the things we are seeing now will become common place with some prospects in the future

Spoke about Caleb’s dad and how he is very meticulous and strategic and has been allowed to do that at the college level but acknowledged that won’t be the same in the pros

All in all a lot of good like pieces of info that will all go into the evaluation.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Interesting piece on Hoge (Fishbain) & Jahns this week with the best writer at USC on Williams…

Said the talent level around Caleb really dropped off from 2022 to 2023…pointed specifically to Addison and an all PAC-10 centre & all American guard

Said he felt that the coaching staff did a far worse job of fully building out the offence and just expect Caleb to make a play in 2023

Explained when he transferred to USC Jaxson Dart was the starting QB and his team mates loved him…said Caleb has to win them over and has been a leader ever since…said the transition will be interesting to leading grown men (Jahns pointed out the Bears questioned Fields leadership at the pro level when they were drafting him but obviously he has become a home run in that department)

Said that he never heard anything negative toward Caleb as a team mate from his OL or receivers

Reminded everyone that Williams took his entire OL to the Heisman ceremony when he won it in 2022

Said he used his NIL money to help the guys around him as well as gifting Beats to not only his teammates but also others at USC (I remember the woman’s football (soccer) team)

Reminded people that the UCLA game was not the only time Caleb had spoken with reporters and explained it happened after victories as much as it did after defeats…did point out given it was his last game at SC people did expect him to speak

Said if Caleb was coming out after 2022 there would be very little debate around his character…seemed to feel a lot of the nail painting, GQ interview, fashion shows, Utah nails, crying was overblown but the reporter did say when those things happened he knew it would be brought up in the draft cycle

Great point about Caleb being the first real face of NIL and some of the things we are seeing now will become common place with some prospects in the future

Spoke about Caleb’s dad and how he is very meticulous and strategic and has been allowed to do that at the college level but acknowledged that won’t be the same in the pros

All in all a lot of good like pieces of info that will all go into the evaluation.

It’s almost certainly not going to happen barring something unforeseen, but if we draft Maye or Daniels at 1 all of this microanalysis of CW for months ahead of us not picking him is going to look incredibly foolish. 

12 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Every time i see him and hear his voice i think of the butler from scary movie with the little hand.  That grosses me out.

That scene really made me laugh.  I don't think I saw whole movie, but I have seen that.

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

It’s almost certainly not going to happen barring something unforeseen, but if we draft Maye or Daniels at 1 all of this microanalysis of CW for months ahead of us not picking him is going to look incredibly foolish. 

I think Maye or Daniels at 1 isn't happening barring a weird interaction or revelation, but a trade off 1 and getting one of those guys is still possible.

I have been firmly in stance of drafting Caleb Williams for months now, but there are trades I would take.   This is same position Poles is taking.   Blow me away.  Change my mind.

For instance if Washington offered me a crap ton to move down 1 spot I have to strongly consider that.   At that point I consider keeping Fields and trading again or taking one of other QBs if I like them.  

NFL history clearly shows championships can be won with great teams around not great QBs. 

But if you have that great QB on your team you can go into every season he is active and healthy mentally believing you can win it all.   There are guys that picked GB to be in SB every single year for years because Rodgers. 

And it is way, way easier to draft and build a team with a QB firmly in place as starter.  So that is always the greater goal.

If you listen to Bears' podcasts, you've probably heard former front office guy Josh Lucas. He's on "Bears Banter" with Bill Zimmerman  this week. Good podcast, with good insight and thought from host and guest, but holy cow does Bill Zimmermanns audio grate on me. Starts with the Bears' fight song at full gain volume, and then his voice... ach.  Anyway worth a listen. 

50 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

If you listen to Bears' podcasts, you've probably heard former front office guy Josh Lucas. He's on "Bears Banter" with Bill Zimmerman  this week. Good podcast, with good insight and thought from host and guest, but holy cow does Bill Zimmermanns audio grate on me. Starts with the Bears' fight song at full gain volume, and then his voice... ach.  Anyway worth a listen. 

This is worst.  Makes my ears bleed.

But you should listen.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HuskieBear said:

I think this last super bowl showed that a great QB > great team without one

Yes.  But in fairness KC defense carried them quite a bit in 2023.

But the QB did mask a lack of talent on offense.  

Bears had better offensive talent overall than KC taking QB out of it IMO.

• Like 2

On 2/15/2024 at 11:35 AM, dll2000 said:

Yes.  But in fairness KC defense carried them quite a bit in 2023.

But the QB did mask a lack of talent on offense.  

Bears had better offensive talent overall than KC taking QB out of it IMO.

It's more the reason to build a stronger defense.

KC has the better offensive coach!

Edited by JibjeResearch

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Point is you see it from pretty much so every college QB these days.

Especially now where most of college is shotgun spread with sideline posters for play calls, almost no QBs come into the league turn key to operate in an NFL offense, even those with elite prospect skill sets like Williams, Lawrence, etc. 

• Like 1