Jets 2023 General Talk

Mattmanz

I think it is Eliot Wolf, because that is the name I keep seeing when reports come out about what the Patriots are going to do. But when you check the Patriots' official management team, Wolf is listed as the director of scouting. So, who knows. And perhaps more importantly, who cares.

So Brock Bowers has replaced Bill Belichick as the BB nobody wants to discuss here? Sweet. LOL 🙂

Potentially good news:

One of my friends has been working with Javon Kinlaw this offseason so I messaged him saying I am hoping for a big season.  My friend responded: "He tells me this is the best he's felt since being in the league."

Expecting a healthy and fairly productive season out of him.

13 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Potentially good news:

One of my friends has been working with Javon Kinlaw this offseason so I messaged him saying I am hoping for a big season.  My friend responded: "He tells me this is the best he's felt since being in the league."

Expecting a healthy and fairly productive season out of him.

I hope your boy is right. He has talent just needs to let it go on the field. 

• Like 1

I like the Kinlaw gamble. He is a first-round talent, just needs to break through. It is like having an extra early pick in this draft. Plus, I also like the fact we brought in some insurance with Leki Fotu. We covered our bases with those two additions. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 7:46 PM, JetsandI said:

Broncos fixed JFM contract.  2 years 15m

That's why I'm sure the move was both a salary move but also one where our org does right by a player - "we won't pay you, but will find someone who will" and that's why we didn't hold out for better compensation.

6 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

That's why I'm sure the move was both a salary move but also one where our org does right by a player - "we won't pay you, but will find someone who will" and that's why we didn't hold out for better compensation.

They wanted to redo his deal and told him after they acquired Reddick that his playing time would decrease so they gave him permission to seek a trade

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

They wanted to redo his deal and told him after they acquired Reddick that his playing time would decrease so they gave him permission to seek a trade

And us letting go was us holding up our end of the agreement. It sucks to lose talent we grew, but I'm hoping players see this as our org doing right by a player (even if it wasn't us who paid him his due).

I absolutely love when so called experts determine what a players career will be after the draft. Yes boys and girls the experts know the great QB's coming out and the sad sacks that are drafted in the late rounds or for that matter who were drafted at all.

But lets be clear about this idiocy, if it were an absolute probability of outcome.....Well then who could argue with the assessments by the "experts".

But the truth is no one knows, its a crap shoot, rarely and in fact only one time in my multiple decades of watching QB's come off the board has any single year had a 50% hit rate.

So the odds of this years can't miss prospects at QB being successful, having a reasonable career, or be viewed as absolute disasters would surprise me if it were 25%. So, where your drafted as a QB only means that there is talent that teams are willing to take a risk on hoping they are right.

Sadly, most of the time they are wrong. Then we can hear, year after year Mel K. tell us that they are unequivocally stars that will propel their respective teams.

Which brings me to Jordan Travis, some so called expert said at best he is a back up. Well there are former players in the HOF who weren't even drafted, UDFA who were and are multiple year ALL PRO'S. 

Jordan Travis hasn't played a snap, and already his career has been defined. Some players take years to develop others come out of college and light it up. Not all players are the same. Quincy Williams was released and the Jets picked him up.

Now he's pro bowl material, so don't buy into the stupidity of the so called experts, the truth of the matter is they don't have a clue.

1 hour ago, Big T said:

the experts know the great QB's coming out and the sad sacks that are drafted in the late rounds or for that matter who were drafted at all.

I hear you and won't argue the point.  Good QB's can come from anywhere.  But here is another data point in the calculus:  UDFA and day three QB's rarely get a chance.  Travis may come in and show he deserves to compete for that starting job in a year or two BUT he has two QB's ahead of him so how much actual practice time is he going to get with the 1's?  Coaches seem to label a QB (or any player) before they even step foot in the practice facility. 

This does not include day 1 and day 2 QB's.  The inverse is true here.  Often times they are thrown to the wolves before they are ready and then crash and burn.  We have seen this time and time again with our high draft pick QB's.  None were ready to start and yet there they were on opening day.

IMHO, all QB's, regardless of draft position, should be developed before sending them in.  Obviously a day 1 or 2 pick will be given a longer leash as they should.  There is a reason they were high picks.  This is why I love the Travis pick.  He was slated to go higher but because of injury, he dropped.  Now the Jets can develop him.  Maybe he pans out maybe not, but is is a sound approach.  Except for the Hackett involvement.  That is bad.

I know it is a little early but the jets have not signed a rookie yet. I see teams are already getting their rookies signed. I know we had a period where the Jets rookies would sit out or be very close to it. I hope this does not happen again.