Jets 2023 General Talk

Mattmanz

2 hours ago, xrade said:

On paper it sounds good but it would limit what we can then do in FA.  We will only have about $10M to play with if we do that and that is with cuts. 

dont you only have to be under the cap by the deadline in august? the saints are almost always over the cap and still sign players every offseason. 

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

True. I'm thinking about the pick we could get for a 25 year old coming off a 10 sack season with limited reps. 

I'm only dealing huff if we're getting a frp back, Or I guess a 2nd and 3rd and even then id be doing it super begrudgingly. He's the kind of player teams trying to win a championship need. That closer type pass rusher that can get in there and get the big sack.

If we're trying to slash money, I'm looking at DJ Reed. Lawson is a gonner. Uzomah can go. Duane Brown, Benton, bye. Does Corey Davis come off the books? Rodgers will probably want to push some more money out if that's allowed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

Winning the Super Bowl in week 18 is reason to make no changes next year.

Keeping Keith Carter is upsetting. I get we want to run it back after AR went down, but for some of these guys it's clear as day they are not up to par. AR or no AR.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ekill08x said:

dont you only have to be under the cap by the deadline in august? the saints are almost always over the cap and still sign players every offseason. 

We must get under the cap by new league year as top 51 rule.   That is in March.

Saints are able to move around new GTD around but they won't be in full clear of salary challenge for next 3 or 4 years.  

11 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Keeping Keith Carter is upsetting. I get we want to run it back after AR went down, but for some of these guys it's clear as day they are not up to par. AR or no AR.

AR isn’t going to last very long next year when the free rushers are coming.

Pauline went into detail about Carter's poor reputation around the NFL, both as it pertains to fellow coaches and players. One league source reportedly described the Carter hire as a "death wish" for Douglas and Saleh.

Despite his less-than-stellar reputation and his unceremonious departure from the Tennessee Titans last year, the Jets hired Carter to be their new offensive line coach in 2023. Needless to say, the results have been disastrous.

10 hours ago, drew39k said:

I'm only dealing huff if we're getting a frp back, Or I guess a 2nd and 3rd and even then id be doing it super begrudgingly. He's the kind of player teams trying to win a championship need. That closer type pass rusher that can get in there and get the big sack.

If we're trying to slash money, I'm looking at DJ Reed. Lawson is a gonner. Uzomah can go. Duane Brown, Benton, bye. Does Corey Davis come off the books? Rodgers will probably want to push some more money out if that's allowed. 

Franchising Huff is not good idea.  Nobody will fork a good pick for him and 20m being on the hook for Jets until new contract is made.   If Jets want to keep him then Jets will need to make a bunch of moves to cover Huff's tag and new players.

I believe Davis' contract is off the books in 2024 as his last year on contract with Jets is 2023.  It doesn't affect Jets' current salary projection for 2024.

Rodgers' upcoming GTD will be restructured for sure as OTC already got it in the book. Please be advised by that because it doesn't happen in real life yet.

14 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I think we need to tag and trade Huff for a good pick. 

Think there’s a shot we could get a 2nd for him or maybe swap him for a WR, Sutton and Jeudy kinda make sense if you wanted to go that Route

Jets are going to be aggressive this offseason. Aaron Rodgers makes you win now. They need to turn it around to not lose star young players like Garrett Wilson. 

Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh will be on their last year, if they do not turn this into a winner they will both be fired. So it is pretty evident that they will be aggressive with moves trying to win next season. 

Joe has said before there is lots of flexibility with how he can manipulate the cap with shifting around money. 

10th overall pick, should be able to land a really good player in this draft at that spot. This draft is loaded with OL and WR talent. 

We probably won't be able to land Joe Alt or the other OT who is elite. But who knows how the draft plays out. Last time we picked 10 we landed Garrett Wilson. 

They need to target OL and WR to fix the offense. Saleh said they want to figure out a spot for AVT and leave him there, no more playing around with him.  Same with Tippmann, do the Jets want to leave him at center or do they see him as a OG. Cause he was dominant at RG. But he also has potential as a center. 

Jonah Williams seems to be the top OT on the market, 26 and has started pretty much every game. 

Tee Higgins would be excellent WR opposite of Garrett too.

Edited by NYJets4716

49 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Jets are going to be aggressive this offseason. Aaron Rodgers makes you win now. They need to turn it around to not lose star young players like Garrett Wilson. 

Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh will be on their last year, if they do not turn this into a winner they will both be fired. So it is pretty evident that they will be aggressive with moves trying to win next season. 

Joe has said before there is lots of flexibility with how he can manipulate the cap with shifting around money. 

10th overall pick, should be able to land a really good player in this draft at that spot. This draft is loaded with OL and WR talent. 

We probably won't be able to land Joe Alt or the other OT who is elite. But who knows how the draft plays out. Last time we picked 10 we landed Garrett Wilson. 

They need to target OL and WR to fix the offense. Saleh said they want to figure out a spot for AVT and leave him there, no more playing around with him.  Same with Tippmann, do the Jets want to leave him at center or do they see him as a OG. Cause he was dominant at RG. But he also has potential as a center. 

Jonah Williams seems to be the top OT on the market, 26 and has started pretty much every game. 

Tee Higgins would be excellent WR opposite of Garrett too.

Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman and a lesser extent Mike Evans should be #1 priority.  If we land Jonah too that gives us a crap ton of flexibility, and the only way I'd be okay with going Bowers.  I am good with taking a Center and moving Tipp to RG if that's how the board goes.  I hope Warren starts at RT and Tomlinson gets the boot.

Dream scenario for me would be Micheal Pittman Jr., Jonah(LT), Eluemunor(RT), and Matt Pryor(can start at G played some OT for SF too). This would let us take our QB of the future which should be a priority as well adding Penix or McCarthy to sit behind Rodger’s for a year or 2 could set us up for a successful future.

27 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Dream scenario for me would be Micheal Pittman Jr., Jonah(LT), Eluemunor(RT), and Matt Pryor(can start at G played some OT for SF too). This would let us take our QB of the future which should be a priority as well adding Penix or McCarthy to sit behind Rodger’s for a year or 2 could set us up for a successful future.

I'd be all behind this, really even it's just Pittman and one of the available OTs.

I usually don't care about QBs coming out of college because most times it's a crapshoot and we are always staring at the second-best option, but I really like this class of QBs. The top two are so over-hyped that it feels like even Daniels could end up in our lap. I don't like any of them for day-one starters, but that's why we have Rodgers.

Took a step forward? They actually got worse on both sides of the ball, and the season was “over” well before it was last year. How he could say stuff like this after that brutal mid season stretch where the offense was abysmal is crazy to me. Telling the team to “enjoy this win all offseason” after beating a bottom 3 team. Then you have GW essentially call out the offensive coaching staff. 

I get positivity is Salehs style, but I don’t see this approach working. There is going to be massive amounts of pressure on everyone next year and Saleh is going to have his work cut out for him.

• Like 1