Chase Young to Niners for conditional 3rd round pick

MikeT14

16 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Let's be honest, he's not coming back here. This all but kills that relationship. 

Probably. Although it will be a totally different coaching staff and front office by the time they’re speaking to him next. 

But even if that’s not a possibility, just ensuring that he’ll be on the market has some value to us, if we’re going to be looking for EDGE help. More alternative options means keeping prices down for whichever player we do end up trying to land.

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Being excited about trading one of your best, young players for what is essentially a mid round pick from one of the best teams in the league should be more alarming to this fanbase yet everyone is too giddy because of their disdain for Chase. I'd much rather keep Chase than draft another Gibson, BSJ or Brian Robinson. Sorry, that's just how I feel. I knew some much better run organization was going to come along and do this to us. This is just Trent Williams all over again.

I'm not excited at trading Chase. I am a little relieved I don't have to keep having debates about him anymore though. I thought he was developing well this year. I would have preferred to keep him over the compensation, but I understand why they made the move. He wasn't resigning here. They didn't feel he was worth the Franchise tag. Moving him for the best value they could get (yes a comp 3rd this year is better than a potential 3rd next) and start a new chapter. 

I wish Chase well. I wish he could have lived up to the promise he had. He still has time, but it won't be here. 

As for the owner comparison to Dan Snyder, if this is an every year thing, which I don't think it will be, we may all feel the same way we did about Dan, but this roster needs to be turned over. There are so many under performing players. 

Lastly, comparing future H.o.F.er Trent Williams to Chase Young is kind of laughable. I know you really liked the guy, but they aren't even in the same stratosphere of caliber. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

John Keim

Washington is done with trades. Two big moves though have shaken up their D.

Why in the flying hell would you stop here? You just handicapped your defense for the rest of the season and you have an aging DT with a big money contract that teams are calling on. Why would you keep him? 

2 minutes ago, Scott Land said:

With what to show for it?

🤷🏻‍♂️ results in the playoffs (and short series) are largely random and matchup-oriented. Being consistently one of the best teams in the league is the best way to end up as a title winner one year.

If we’re getting into the details, I think they sort of top out every year because their best player is a big man who can’t handle the ball and initiate the offense. Very difficult to win tight games when the defense can keep your superstar from receiving the ball on crucial possessions down the stretch — not unlike when a WR is your best player in the NFL.

But that’s a team that has ended up getting basically zero out of two #1 overall picks, and they’ve still managed to be among the league’s best teams. They’re obviously doing some things right.

• Like 1

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

I'm not excited at trading Chase. I am a little relieved I don't have to keep having debates about him anymore though. I thought he was developing well this year. I would have preferred to keep him over the compensation, but I understand why they made the move. He wasn't resigning here. They didn't feel he was worth the Franchise tag. Moving him for the best value they could get (yes a comp 3rd this year is better than a potential 3rd next) and start a new chapter. 

I wish Chase well. I wish he could have lived up to the promise he had. He still has time, but it won't be here. 

As for the owner comparison to Dan Snyder, if this is an every year thing, which I don't think it will be, we may all feel the same way we did about Dan, but this roster needs to be turned over. There are so many under performing players. 

Lastly, comparing future H.o.F.er Trent Williams to Chase Young is kind of laughable. I know you really liked the guy, but they aren't even in the same stratosphere of caliber. 

Its an awful trade. Absolutely horrendous. Josh Harris told them to get rid of both and they were basically forced into getting fleeced for Young. The 49ers basically do this to all the poorly run franchises in the NFL. They buy your best players for pennies on the dollar and yes, Chase was currently one of our best players. 

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Its an awful trade. Absolutely horrendous. Josh Harris told them to get rid of both and they were basically forced into getting fleeced for Young. The 49ers basically do this to all the poorly run franchises in the NFL. They buy your best players for pennies on the dollar and yes, Chase was currently one of our best players. 

I understand the raw emotion right now, but if you look at it practically, it is clear this is best outcome we could get for him. 

He wasn't going to get re-signed. A tag and trade would most likely have not happened, with him leaving in FA as the most likely scenario. The return, as bad as it is, is still better than any of those other options. 

I personally would have preferred him to play out his contract and tag him, force him to play on the tag and hopefully you see the development to warrant the big contract he undoubtedly wants. If you don't trade him by NEXT trade deadline. 

I think this speaks volumes to the fact the Franchise as a whole was done with the Chase Young saga.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Being excited about trading one of your best, young players for what is essentially a mid round pick from one of the best teams in the league should be more alarming to this fanbase yet everyone is too giddy because of their disdain for Chase.

Is anyone excited about it? I think some of those who felt he was a head case are glad to wipe the slate clean, but I’m not seeing a whole lot of excitement or giddiness across the board. 

I think most are feeling a bit disappointed about this move, overall, is the sense I’m getting. That’s certainly how I feel about it, at least. 

The only thing I feel remotely excited about is that at least you can start to sense a little bit of the assertiveness I hope Harris and his regime will bring. Don’t sit around waiting for things to happen and letting the clock run out on you because you were too paralyzed to act — make a decision and carry it out. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Why in the flying hell would you stop here? You just handicapped your defense for the rest of the season and you have an aging DT with a big money contract that teams are calling on. Why would you keep him? 

Hang in there friend. 

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952tzw62pp7pgrsj4yu3

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

I understand the raw emotion right now, but if you look at it practically, it is clear this is best outcome we could get for him. 

He wasn't going to get re-signed. A tag and trade would most likely have not happened, with him leaving in FA as the most likely scenario. The return, as bad as it is, is still better than any of those other options. 

I personally would have preferred him to play out his contract and tag him, force him to play on the tag and hopefully you see the development to warrant the big contract he undoubtedly wants. If you don't trade him by NEXT trade deadline. 

I think this speaks volumes to the fact the Franchise as a whole was done with the Chase Young saga.

But its not. They GAVE him away. GAVE. Its not even a natural third round pick. Its a compensation pick so yes, they were fleeced. I would much rather keep him and see what happens in his production before essentially handing him to a top team in the league for nothing. Its stupid. It has nothing to do with raw emotion. It's exactly how I felt when they gave Trent Williams away and everyone praised that. 

9 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I don't think this will stop any arguing one way or another people will just start talking about what he does in San Fran.

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

The only thing I feel remotely excited about is that at least you can start to sense a little bit of the assertiveness I hope Harris and his regime will bring. Don’t sit around waiting for things to happen and letting the clock run out on you because you were too paralyzed to act — make a decision and carry it out. 

They better have that trigger finger ready on Black Monday. I wish it would have happened sooner to be honest. I think Ron and JDR are handicapping this team more than the players.