Chase Young to Niners for conditional 3rd round pick

MikeT14

Just now, turtle28 said:

Watershed moment for Harris and the new ownership group. I don't love trading Chase Young but, it's clear they're blowing this up and planning on rebuilding the team. They obviously don't want to pay Chase top $ and that's fine. I just hope that their plan works out long term.

Also, Kam Curl just said “Bruh!” on Twitter. 

This may mean he won't Re-sign but if they pay him top 10 safety $ then I’m sure he’ll Re-sign.

This isn't blowing it up. Blowing it up would've meant accepting calls on Jonathan Allen and others. This was basically Harris deciding he wasn't paying Sweat and Young and dealing them away. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scott Land said:

I'm a Nuggets fan, (no not a bandwagon, been one since 2005) but you know what they did? Built in the draft, PAID THEIR GUYS, and won a championship. 

It's different though. Rivera is going to be gone. These are Rivera guys. So, these aren't Josh Harris guys, these aren't the next GM/HC’s guys.

They're starting the Process as Harris did in Philly to blow this up and rebuild through the draft.

They're doing what the Wizards just did or starting that process. They obviously don't think Chase & Sweat were worth the $20 plus mil a year and frankly as much as I like them both its hard to argue against that point of view bc so far neither how shown they're with that $.

Also, this team hasn't won anything with having these 4 first round DL. Harris wants to take a different approach and have the GM they hire & the HC they hire for next season go with that vision.

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

This isn't blowing it up. Blowing it up would've meant accepting calls on Jonathan Allen and others. This was basically Harris deciding he wasn't paying Sweat and Young and dealing them away. 

I think they're starting that process. 

It's true though to your last sentence. I still believe it's the beginning of the process of rebuilding.

Edited by turtle28

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Those Hogs Haven guys are idiots. And on the Official board, it’s always Homer Central, anything they do gets instant positive reactions from the “power users” and everyone else likes hearing what a great move it was. And then two years later, they once again realize how dumb the organization is and how dumb they are for just buying whatever the Head Homers tell them about what happens.

I don’t think sensible folks with a sense of how to build a franchise are going to be pleased with this. Absolute best case scenario, it means that in less than 4 years, the ROI on the highest draft choice we’ve had in a couple decades turned out to be a few flashes of great play and some middling comp pick. 

But…I dunno. I don’t think lavishing him with a new contract so rich that it convinced him not to explore the FA market was a good option — and while franchising him at the end of this year is probably the move I would have made, we’ve been down that road a lot before. It sorta just seems to drag the whole process out and make it even more painful. I can see why they wouldn’t want to go that route with a high-profile player so early in a new regime.

What this situation truly reminds me of is the Desean Jackson/Pierre Garcon off-season where everyone was happy about letting them go because we had two young players in Crowder and Doctson but except this time we don't have young players to potentially replace them with. We just have nothing now. The excitement over Toohill and JSW is truly the most hilarious thing to come out of all of this. I mean, I hope they do well but you'd think we had Jared Allen and Bruce Smith waiting in the wings. 

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

There must have been something with Chase and the staff/front office, because at that return, I would’ve kept him.  

But also, no one offered the same value as Sweat for Young. So the league doesn't see Young highly either. I'm sure it'll bite us in the butt, but still... 

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It's different though. Rivera is going to be gone. These are Rivera guys. So, these aren't Josh Harris guys, these aren't the next GM/HC’s guys.

They're starting the Process as Harris did in Philly to blow this up and rebuild through the draft.

They're doing what the Wizards just did or starting that process. They obviously don't think Chase & Sweat were worth the $20 plus mil a year and frankly as much as I like them both its hard to argue against that point of view bc so far neither how shown they're with that $.

Also, this team hasn't won anything with having these 4 first round DL. Harris wants to take a different approach and have the GM they hire & the HC they hire for next season go with that vision.

They could've done that with a pass rusher. I'm fine with trading montez, you can't trade him AND chase especially for a conditional 3rd. They could've got a conditional 3 for him not resigning. You now have to draft another pass rusher when you have other needs to attend to in the draft. This was moronic and you can't justify this was a good thing to me. 

10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

What this situation truly reminds me of is the Desean Jackson/Pierre Garcon off-season where everyone was happy about letting them go because we had two young players in Crowder and Doctson but except this time we don't have young players to potentially replace them with. We just have nothing now. The excitement over Toohill and JSW is truly the most hilarious thing to come out of all of this. I mean, I hope they do well but you'd think we had Jared Allen and Bruce Smith waiting in the wings. 

Did DJax and Garcon tear it up when they left us .. and they wanted BIG bucks.

4 minutes ago, Scott Land said:

They could've done that with a pass rusher. I'm fine with trading montez, you can't trade him AND chase especially for a conditional 3rd. They could've got a conditional 3 for him not resigning. You now have to draft another pass rusher when you have other needs to attend to in the draft. This was moronic and you can't justify this was a good thing to me. 

Obviously they can. They didn't want to keep Chase. They wanted to go in a different direction. I don't agree with it either but essentially what they're saying is that they don't want to spend the $ to franchise either Chase or Tez. 

What they're getting back from San Fran for Chase is as high of a compensatory pick as you can get, an end of the 3rd but they're getting that pick next year instead of in two years if they don't re-sign Chase after this year or can't. They're also not going to spend the $20 mil on either to franchise them when they don't plan on keeping them long term & then having to wait for two more years from now for that comp pick.

This is a forward thinking move because they don't want to keep them long term.

I would've kept Chase as well, but if they don't want to re-sign him the move they're making now is the best move. They're ripping the band-aid off and going forward.

I just hope this doesn't mean we lose Curl also after this season bc he wants to play with them but if we pay him well, I think he'll stay.

6 minutes ago, Scott Land said:

I'm a Nuggets fan, (no not a bandwagon, been one since 2005) but you know what they did? Built in the draft, PAID THEIR GUYS, and won a championship. 

That’s excellent, and I’m glad your guys got over the top.

It does make things a little easier when you fall into a multi-time MVP at pick 41. It’s sorta like with the Pats in the NFL with Brady — it’s awfully tough to emulate their “process” when the whole thing is built on the back of the most fortunate draft pick in the history of the sport. Not super repeatable.

The Nuggets had pick #41 turn into Jokic. The Sixers had multiple pick #1s turn into Ben Simmons and Markelle Fultz. Obviously, great work by the Nuggets and (as an anti-Philly person pretty much across the board) I’m happy that it worked out better for them. But I think the process that Philly employed from 2013 until now probably had a higher *likelihood* of long-term success, even if it didn’t work out that way.

• Like 1