Chase Young to Niners for conditional 3rd round pick

MikeT14

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

Is anyone excited about it? I think some of those who felt he was a head case are glad to wipe the slate clean, but I’m not seeing a whole lot of excitement or giddiness across the board. 

I think most are feeling a bit disappointed about this move, overall, is the sense I’m getting. That’s certainly how I feel about it, at least. 

The only thing I feel remotely excited about is that at least you can start to sense a little bit of the assertiveness I hope Harris and his regime will bring. Don’t sit around waiting for things to happen and letting the clock run out on you because you were too paralyzed to act — make a decision and carry it out. 

Take a look at Hogs Haven and the board that shall not be named. Its basically euphoria at the moment. The excitement over a mid round pick for your best young pass rusher is just weird. Maybe he ends up doing nothing and just sucks out there but you couldn't even get their natural 3rd rounder? And if not, why even do this? Because you've already decided you aren't going to pay him for you even have a new GM in place? I could understand it if someone offered a 2nd but this is just giving talent away. Its stupid. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rizzy said:

I don't think this will stop any arguing one way or another people will just start talking about what he does in San Fran.

We felt that way about Cousins and people rarely bring him up even though he has consistently been a top 15 QB. 

Out of sight, out of mind. I think a lot of emotions will calm down as time goes on and now we can evaluate some of the younger pass rushers we picked up.

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

But its not. They GAVE him away. GAVE. Its not even a natural third round pick. Its a compensation pick so yes, they were fleeced. I would much rather keep him and see what happens in his production before essentially handing him to a top team in the league for nothing. Its stupid. It has nothing to do with raw emotion. It's exactly how I felt when they gave Trent Williams away and everyone praised that. 

I just don't feel the same way man. 

I hope you come to terms with it at some point. There is a reason that was the best return we got. It's not because Snyder refused to deal with anyone, it's because that was the best offer they got. 

Again, not the result I would have preferred, but I understand the reasoning. This is a new era in Washington Football. There will be a lot of changes being made over the next couple years and change can be hard.

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

But its not. They GAVE him away. GAVE. Its not even a natural third round pick. Its a compensation pick so yes, they were fleeced. I would much rather keep him and see what happens in his production before essentially handing him to a top team in the league for nothing. Its stupid. It has nothing to do with raw emotion. It's exactly how I felt when they gave Trent Williams away and everyone praised that. 

No one wanted him. 

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

I just don't feel the same way man. 

I hope you come to terms with it at some point. There is a reason that was the best return we got. It's not because Snyder refused to deal with anyone, it's because that was the best offer they got. 

Again, not the result I would have preferred, but I understand the reasoning. This is a new era in Washington Football. There will be a lot of changes being made over the next couple years and change can be hard.

It has nothing to do with coming to terms with it. I am a fan of this team. I have watched my favorite players come and go and never wavered. This won't be any different. I just think the ownership forced this trade and because of that the 49ers were able to take advantage of the situation. I like Josh Harris. I think he has a vision for this franchise but I also think this Chase Young thing was personal more so than anything else. I am just not a fan of giving away young talent. I don't like it. 

Just now, MKnight82 said:

This is the reality. They have sucked with both Swear and Young out there.

But this is a silly way to look at things. The Cowboys defense sucked until they got Dan Quinn. I mean, the Chargers suck. Maybe they should field calls for Justin Herbert. 

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Then keep him. Is the difference between this franchise winning a super bowl and not winning one essentially a 4th round pick? If not, then why not let it play out and see what happens? 

He obviously told the team he plans to hit free agency. 

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Then keep him. Is the difference between this franchise winning a super bowl and not winning one essentially a 4th round pick? If not, then why not let it play out and see what happens? 

Dude look at this situation objectively. Having Chase here was always a circus. The fans, media, staff all having to CONSTANTLY talk about him. R.o.t.Y, injured, when is he coming back, the team activated him and he didnt play, is he healthy, declining the 5th year option, does his play warrant an extension. This whole offseason would have been about "the plan for Chase Young" instead of truly turning the page. 

27 minutes ago, e16bball said:

🤷🏻‍♂️ results in the playoffs (and short series) are largely random and matchup-oriented. Being consistently one of the best teams in the league is the best way to end up as a title winner one year.

If we’re getting into the details, I think they sort of top out every year because their best player is a big man who can’t handle the ball and initiate the offense. Very difficult to win tight games when the defense can keep your superstar from receiving the ball on crucial possessions down the stretch — not unlike when a WR is your best player in the NFL.

But that’s a team that has ended up getting basically zero out of two #1 overall picks, and they’ve still managed to be among the league’s best teams. They’re obviously doing some things right.

I'm a Nuggets fan, (no not a bandwagon, been one since 2005) but you know what they did? Built in the draft, PAID THEIR GUYS, and won a championship. 

Watershed moment for Harris and the new ownership group. I don't love trading Chase Young but, it's clear they're blowing this up and planning on rebuilding the team. They obviously don't want to pay Chase top $ and that's fine. I just hope that their plan works out long term.

Also, Kam Curl just said “Bruh!” on Twitter. 

This may mean he won't Re-sign but if they pay him top 10 safety $ then I’m sure he’ll Re-sign.

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Take a look at Hogs Haven and the board that shall not be named. Its basically euphoria at the moment. The excitement over a mid round pick for your best young pass rusher is just weird. Maybe he ends up doing nothing and just sucks out there but you couldn't even get their natural 3rd rounder? And if not, why even do this? Because you've already decided you aren't going to pay him for you even have a new GM in place? I could understand it if someone offered a 2nd but this is just giving talent away. Its stupid. 

Those Hogs Haven guys are idiots. And on the Official board, it’s always Homer Central, anything they do gets instant positive reactions from the “power users” and everyone else likes hearing what a great move it was. And then two years later, they once again realize how dumb the organization is and how dumb they are for just buying whatever the Head Homers tell them about what happens.

I don’t think sensible folks with a sense of how to build a franchise are going to be pleased with this. Absolute best case scenario, it means that in less than 4 years, the ROI on the highest draft choice we’ve had in a couple decades turned out to be a few flashes of great play and some middling comp pick. 

But…I dunno. I don’t think lavishing him with a new contract so rich that it convinced him not to explore the FA market was a good option — and while franchising him at the end of this year is probably the move I would have made, we’ve been down that road a lot before. It sorta just seems to drag the whole process out and make it even more painful. I can see why they wouldn’t want to go that route with a high-profile player so early in a new regime.