Chase Young to Niners for conditional 3rd round pick

MikeT14

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I still don’t understand how you don’t just get their natural third rounder or just say no thank you? At that point, what are you really getting in return anyway? To me, it’s worth more to see what Chase becomes over the back half of this season than it is getting a glorified 4th round pick. And the stupidity of not trading Brissett because he’s a mentor? I’ll give them their flowers for the Sweat trade but the return on Young and then keeping everyone else is just stupid. 

While I'd rather get a 2nd rounder for him, a 3rd isn't too bad considering his unique issues (work ethic, injury history, historical production, only half season before free agency etc...). My point is why trade him for a comp pick? Why not their natural pick? I mean it might only be a difference of 4 or 5 picks, but those can be important slots to miss.

And also HOW can they trade for a comp pick that hasn't been officially awarded yet??

8 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

This I don't get. Maybe someone who has more time and is smarter than me can delve into this ( @e16bball ?). 

And I just argued with someone without seeing this. 

I get that you can trade comp picks.

I get that you can trade conditional picks (such as "This is for a 3rd in 2028 and conditional 7th rounder in 2029" - just to give an example). But even then that "conditional" pick is the team's NATURAL pick. They just don't know WHERE in the round it will come.

What I do NOT get is how a team can trade away picks that they do not CURRENTLY OWN. 

This comp picks are PROJECTED picks. 2024 Comp picks do not actually get awarded until AFTER this season is completed.

Which means the 49ers are trading what...exactly?

A pick they don't currently own. And when you enact trades, you need to be currently owning the picks in question that you're giving away.

What am I missing???

How is this possible???

I think the trick is that the picks for losing the minority employees are set in stone — they will get those picks, it’s just a question of where they happen to land in the draft order.

I suspect, though, that there must have been something built into the deal as a fall-back if it turns out that SF doesn’t actually end up with a 3rd round comp pick. Presumably we’d just get their natural 3rd then, although you never know for certain with us…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

I think the trick is that the picks for losing the minority employees are set in stone — they will get those picks, it’s just a question of where they happen to land in the draft order.

I suspect, though, that there must have been something built into the deal as a fall-back if it turns out that SF doesn’t actually end up with a 3rd round comp pick. Presumably we’d just get their natural 3rd then, although you never know for certain with us…

This makes more sense. Because I look like a donkey arguing that until you actually get awarded the picks, you HAVE to trade your natural picks. I mean it makes sense that they will absolutely get those picks so it's a done deal. I just find it odd that the NFL would allow you to trade picks you don't technically own at the time of the trade.

3 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I think it is their natural 3rd rounder but there are performance metrics that turn it into a second or something greater.

This would be great. But I just have seen a few reports saying it's the comp pick. Which is a head scratcher. What @e16bball said makes sense to me. It's just I know that the NFL is a stickler about these things (I remember us one time trying to trade like a 5th rounder and we forgot we had already traded it and it had to be a 4th rounder instead). But at my age, maybe my memory is a bit fuzzy

3 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

This would be great. But I just have seen a few reports saying it's the comp pick. Which is a head scratcher. What @e16bball said makes sense to me. It's just I know that the NFL is a stickler about these things (I remember us one time trying to trade like a 5th rounder and we forgot we had already traded it and it had to be a 4th rounder instead)

I can't imagine them approving that. I have never heard of such a thing in the past.  But maybe they don't care as long as it has clearly worded and has contingencies if they don't get comp pick. 

If we traded him for a 3rd round comp pick, that is disappointing value.  I mean I realize San Fran should be late in the draft order, but still a huge value difference between like pick #57 and pick #67.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Either way, I’ll always be here cheering this team on. I hate that we had to do this but I just want to win. If trading these guys ends up resulting in that then I’m all for it. 

This is truly the best move Washington could make for board unity. 

With Chase Young gone and no longer a debate issue, we have nothing contentious to argue about.  We are all unified in wanting Rivera gone and a full staff replacement.

• Like 2

I'm downright shocked they would trade Chase. He was Rivera's flagship draft pick. You have to think there were some conflicts with the coaching staff and/or new ownership. I've always had a bad vibe about Chase Young and thought he was a product of hype more than anything. He made some good plays this year but he also made some really bad ones too. On the field, he was undisciplined. His athleticism was always overrated as well. He lacked burst off the line and he lacked burst closing in on sacks. I saw better closing speed on a play from Toohill last week than I have ever seen from Chase Young. I'm not saying Toohill will be a better player than Chase, but Chase was just a huge disappointment here. And the beginning of the end for Ron Rivera as a coach and GM. 

• Like 2

I got a weird feeling that Ron had a better deal for CY but got soft and wanted CY in a “ good situation”. Same could be said about sweat but sweat obviously going get a contract that’s just as much as Bosa . 

and after fully listening to Grant , I don’t blame Chase for leaving . We got people saying he sucks he has no effort etc than guys like Grant really tried to downplay his 2 sack game against the giants against a back up lol.

Come on man , the 106.7 the fan is lowkey an issue . A good reason why RG3 had heat years ago due to the media was cause of them . 

13 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I'm downright shocked they would trade Chase. He was Rivera's flagship draft pick. You have to think there were some conflicts with the coaching staff and/or new ownership. I've always had a bad vibe about Chase Young and thought he was a product of hype more than anything. He made some good plays this year but he also made some really bad ones too. On the field, he was undisciplined. His athleticism was always overrated as well. He lacked burst off the line and he lacked burst closing in on sacks. I saw better closing speed on a play from Toohill last week than I have ever seen from Chase Young. I'm not saying Toohill will be a better player than Chase, but Chase was just a huge disappointment here. And the beginning of the end for Ron Rivera as a coach and GM. 

I honestly believe he knew he wasn’t going to win a SB here and his dad convinced him. No way someone’s dad just calls and talks for 21 min about his son. And I’m very sure he called Grant to educate him on football . Grant was very happy about the CY trade , I can’t stand those guys . 

2 minutes ago, IHatesnyder said:

I got a weird feeling that Ron had a better deal for CY but got soft and wanted CY in a “ good situation”. Same could be said about sweat but sweat obviously going get a contract that’s just as much as Bosa . 

and after fully listening to Grant , I don’t blame Chase for leaving . We got people saying he sucks he has no effort etc than guys like Grant really tried to downplay his 2 sack game against the giants against a back up lol.

Come on man , the 106.7 the fan is lowkey an issue . A good reason why RG3 had heat years ago due to the media was cause of them . 

There was a report that the staff didn't want to trade either and "ownership" forced the issue. 

If Ron Rivera did anything to actively not maximize return for the franchise, he would have been fired on the spot. 

2 minutes ago, IHatesnyder said:

I honestly believe he knew he wasn’t going to win a SB here and his dad convinced him. No way someone’s dad just calls and talks for 21 min about his son. And I’m very sure he called Grant to educate him on football . Grant was very happy about the CY trade , I can’t stand those guys . 

If someone is that pre-determined of events, they should know their aid in achieving the goal isn't sufficient. Only players that ask, "what more can I do" to achieve that greatness should expect those results.

I'm not going to act like Chase was terrible, but his time as a member of this team was forgettable. I'm excited we don't have to hear about that sideshow anymore. The media can now focus solely on the fans distaste for Rivera and the need for him to go too. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

There was a report that the staff didn't want to trade either and "ownership" forced the issue. 

If Ron Rivera did anything to actively not maximize return for the franchise, he would have been fired on the spot. 

There’s another report that says the team sees Young’s departure as addition by subtraction so I dunno if we’ll ever truly know.