Chase Young to Niners for conditional 3rd round pick

MikeT14

25 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

What this situation truly reminds me of is the Desean Jackson/Pierre Garcon off-season where everyone was happy about letting them go because we had two young players in Crowder and Doctson but except this time we don't have young players to potentially replace them with. We just have nothing now. The excitement over Toohill and JSW is truly the most hilarious thing to come out of all of this. I mean, I hope they do well but you'd think we had Jared Allen and Bruce Smith waiting in the wings. 

Well dear God, I hope no one is very excited about JSW and Toohill. I thought I was the all-time king of the JSW fan club when I said early on that he was a solid 7th round pick and should have a roster spot 😂 no one could seriously think either of those guys is going to be a long-term starter.

I also wasn’t excited about letting Garcon and DJax walk, but in that situation, I was much more confident that it was the right choice. Which it was, regardless of our failure to effectively replace them. They both stunk after they left here.

It’s the age difference that makes it more concerning for me in this instance. It’s one thing to let some receivers in their early 30s walk — it’s a whole different thing to cut bait on a 25-year-old DE who was (just a few years ago) considered to be among the most talented prospects to ever walk the earth. That makes me much more squeamish, though it also makes me suspect there must be some fire at the root of all that smoke about him being a *problem.*

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, e16bball said:

“Pretty good” in the sense that Crowder and Ryan Grant out-received them as a duo that first year?

Well Jackson was on pace for 1K yards but missed some games I believe. Same with Garçon. That doesn’t mean they would’ve got hurt here. 

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Well Jackson was on pace for 1K yards but missed some games I believe. Same with Garçon. That doesn’t mean they would’ve got hurt here. 

it's what older players do though-- doncha think ?

Wonder who takes the two roster spots ???

2 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Adam Schefter 
49ers are projected to get a compensatory third-round pick for OT Mike McGlinchey and another compensatory third-round pick for the losses of Ran Carthon and DeMeco Ryans, and one of those comp thirds is being sent to Washington in exchange for Chase Young, per source.

This I don't get. Maybe someone who has more time and is smarter than me can delve into this ( @e16bball ?). 

And I just argued with someone without seeing this. 

I get that you can trade comp picks.

I get that you can trade conditional picks (such as "This is for a 3rd in 2028 and conditional 7th rounder in 2029" - just to give an example). But even then that "conditional" pick is the team's NATURAL pick. They just don't know WHERE in the round it will come.

What I do NOT get is how a team can trade away picks that they do not CURRENTLY OWN. 

This comp picks are PROJECTED picks. 2024 Comp picks do not actually get awarded until AFTER this season is completed.

Which means the 49ers are trading what...exactly?

A pick they don't currently own. And when you enact trades, you need to be currently owning the picks in question that you're giving away.

What am I missing???

How is this possible???

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

This I don't get. Maybe someone who has more time and is smarter than me can delve into this ( @e16bball ?). 

And I just argued with someone without seeing this. 

I get that you can trade comp picks.

I get that you can trade conditional picks (such as "This is for a 3rd in 2028 and conditional 7th rounder in 2029" - just to give an example). But even then that "conditional" pick is the team's NATURAL pick. They just don't know WHERE in the round it will come.

What I do NOT get is how a team can trade away picks that they do not CURRENTLY OWN. 

This comp picks are PROJECTED picks. 2024 Comp picks do not actually get awarded until AFTER this season is completed.

Which means the 49ers are trading what...exactly?

A pick they don't currently own. And when you enact trades, you need to be currently owning the picks in question that you're giving away.

What am I missing???

How is this possible???

I still don’t understand how you don’t just get their natural third rounder or just say no thank you? At that point, what are you really getting in return anyway? To me, it’s worth more to see what Chase becomes over the back half of this season than it is getting a glorified 4th round pick. And the stupidity of not trading Brissett because he’s a mentor? I’ll give them their flowers for the Sweat trade but the return on Young and then keeping everyone else is just stupid. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Guy has his dad calling local radio stations, doesn’t go to team workouts and spent all his time doing endorsements after his rookie year. I’ll bet he crushes it the rest of this year and then has a Haynesworth like output after a big contract. I don’t trust his work ethic and I’m fine with cracking some eggs to give the new GM and head coach a chance to make an omelette. 

This is kinda where I'm at. 

New GM has:

1) A ton of cap space

2) Young QB under rookie contract

3) Five picks in the first three rounds (*)

(*) and once we get a new coach and GM we'll get a 2025 3rd round comp pick as well

A bit shocked we traded them both.  I honestly thought we had a better chance to resign Sweat than Young.

A lot of debates around here about young, but the league has spoken, he is only viewed as worth a 3rd rounder when 2 other DEs were traded for 2nd rounders plus.  

I had always declared that Chase Young would never get a better career setup than Washington being that he got to play with Payne and Allen.  I was wrong.  Now he gets to play with Bosa.  Couldn't have imagined that.

Interesting that the Owner is playing a strong hand here.  It might garner him some negativity.  Not sure what to think about it.  Weird situation with him not having football people in place.

• Like 1