Playoff rankings

MWil23

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I don't care about rankings 5 and beyond. The committee could put them in alphabetical order and it'd be the same.

This seems like avoiding explaining how they are just throwing random stuff at the wall with their rankings. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

@ramssuperbowl99 bowl season is a metric of nothing. No matter who wins, even if it was FSU. These are not going to be the same teams out there. Isn’t that the whole point you have been trying to make was, that left Florida State out to begin with?

Nope, I've said is the committee should use all available information to make the best decision possible.

• Like 1

There are arguments against choosing the best 4 teams exclusively but you guys aren't even making the good ones. Here are some actually decent arguments:

• Picking the "best" teams incentivizes teams to leak misleading reports about injuries to key players
  • Picking the "best" teams incentivizes teams to injury key players on rivals at the end of the year
  • Picking the "best" teams incentivizes teams to run the score up in non-competitive situations (if you think this is bad)
Edited by ramssuperbowl99

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Nope, I've said is the committee should use all available information to make the best decision possible.

So you think Florida State losing their quarterback was reason to take Alabama over them but if Jared Verse and all of Florida states best players sit out, Florida State has no excuse and the bowl results show some sort of validation for the decision?

3 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

So you think Florida State losing their quarterback was reason to take Alabama over them

Yes, when combined with their total inability to do anything on offense without him.

but if Jared Verse and all of Florida states best players sit out, Florida State has no excuse and the bowl results show some sort of validation for the decision?

When it becomes reasonably likely for players to sit out of playoff games, I'd consider it. But it's not, so I wouldn't.

Of course, you do realize the "what if they sat out" conversation goes both ways right? Let's say the FSU plane crashed on the way home from Louisville and the entire team, coaching staff, trainers, everybody dies. Do they still deserve a playoff birth?

Because every single argument made for FSU would still equally apply.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yes, when combined with their total inability to do anything on offense without him.

When it becomes reasonably likely for players to sit out of playoff games, I'd consider it. But it's not, so I wouldn't.

Of course, you do realize the "what if they sat out" conversation goes both ways right? Let's say the FSU plane crashed on the way home from Louisville and the entire team, coaching staff, trainers, everybody dies. Do they still deserve it?

Because every single argument made for FSU would still equally apply.

Which is why I said regardless of the outcome and if Florida State wins also, the game doesn’t prove anything.

Which is why I said regardless of the outcome and if Florida State wins also, the game doesn’t prove anything.

Great, but that's not what I asked.

Would FSU still deserve a playoff birth if the entire team ceased to exist the second the Louisville game was over?

It's not a gotcha question - well, it kinda is, but it's not intended that way. Based on the "resume" arguments, I see no reason to exclude them whether they still even exist or not - open invite to prove me wrong there if I'm missing something. Provided I'm not, at some level, can we agree that's absurd?

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

We are overlooking the monkeys paw post that @ramssuperbowl99 had mocking the horrible snap in the Iron Bowl a week ago and I can’t believe you guys are engaging him now. He’s still absolutely on probation in this forum for now.

lol this wasn't even close to my worst prediction of the year. I'll have to go find it.

EDIT: Google is the best

swing and a miss

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Would FSU still deserve a playoff birth if the entire team ceased to exist the second the Louisville game was over?

It's not a gotcha question - well, it kinda is, but it's not intended that way. Based on the "resume" arguments, I see no reason to exclude them whether they still even exist or not - open invite to prove me wrong there if I'm missing something. Provided I'm not, at some level, can we agree that's absurd?

College football has become like the NFL. We have an open market for players. We have a playoffs, etc.

If the Philadelphia Eagles plane crashed into the Kansas City Chiefs plane in a month, both teams fan bases still enjoy a first round bye. Regardless of what players are there even if it’s a team of free agents. It’s crazy to me that a committee just decides results on the field matter less than perception. 

So to answer your question, if there are 11 players left over, yes, Florida State is a playoff team.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

This seems like avoiding explaining how they are just throwing random stuff at the wall with their rankings. 

They should be weighting things differently each year. And yeah it shouldn't be the kind of thing you can easily replicate with if this, then that programmatic rules. That's why the BCS failed.

We brought in a committee because the rules didn't cut it. (Then we added more games because we realized people didn't cut it either, but people+math got us closer than just math.)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

An entire team is completely different from a single player when they've shown they can still win games without said player.

This isn't Basketball where a single player can 100% derail a season because their backup isn't also a superstar.  Look at the Eagles going from an MVP candidate to a good backup QB in Nick Foles to win a Super Bowl.  If they were going from Jordan Travis to their true freshman QB who just made his first start and not their actual backup who made 2 starts already and did fine, then I'd agree with your argument.

FSU with the QB that actually would've started the bowl game had a chance.

Just now, Raves said:

An entire team is completely different from a single player when they've shown they can still win games without said player.

This isn't Basketball where a single player can 100% derail a season because their backup isn't also a superstar.  Look at the Eagles going from an MVP candidate to a good backup QB in Nick Foles to win a Super Bowl.  If they were going from Jordan Travis to their true freshman QB who just made his first start and not their actual backup who made 2 starts already and did fine, then I'd agree with your argument.

56 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Let me know if you want to put anything on UGA-FSU. We can talk specifics, I'm flexible.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:
2 minutes ago, Raves said:

Expand  

57 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Let me know if you want to put anything on UGA-FSU. We can talk specifics, I'm flexible.

As the others have said, putting anything on games that have 0 meaning is stupid, it's like betting on pre-season games.