Playoff rankings

MWil23

On 12/3/2023 at 8:27 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

The committee has to pick the four best teams.  Are you telling me that FSU is, hands down, a top 3 team right now besides being an undefeated team.  Will their lack of QB play result in a better or worse playoff matchup than having both Alabama and Texas in the game?  

Yes, the body of a season should be taken into account, but they also just played games in November too.  We wouldn’t be having this conversation if FSU didn’t lose their top two QBs…….but they did.  And that seriously needs to be taken into account when you look at the four best teams right now.  

Ok and how did that work out over the weekend. Oregon was picked as the better team. They were 9 point favorites... how did that work out for them. They lost. Who cares how they look on paper.... games are played on the field and FSU won every single time they stepped on the field. Alabama needed a last second heave on 4th and 30 to beat a bad Auburn team. Alabama is not a top 4 team. 

Id consider it more impressive for Florida State to win their ACC Championship with their 3rd string QB than Alabama upsetting Georgia. It shows that FSU is much more than just 1 player and can overcome challenges and still get wins. And that should be rewarded not punished. If FSU beats Georgia they have rightful claim as the Champions.

Pretty much tye committee is saying that Nick Foles could never win a superbowl but you just dont know until the players step on the field. And to take that opportunity away from a power 5 undefeated team is sickening. Especially for Jordan Travis... he is pretty much being told him getting hurt prevented his entire team from being able to even compete for a championship 

6 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Ok and how did that work out over the weekend. Oregon was picked as the better team. They were 9 point favorites... how did that work out for them. They lost. 

Washington was playing with a Heisman contender at QB though. Tate isn't that. Travis was though. That's the difference. 

31 minutes ago, Raves said:
1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

I don't. All you have is a point spread. Not exactly great points of data.

-Vegas thought FSU would beat Louisville by 1. FSU won by 10.

-Vegas thought FSU would lose to LSU by 2. FSU won by 21.

-Vegas thought Georgia would beat Alabama by 5. Georgia lost

Goes the other way, too.

-Vegas thought FSU would beat Boston College by 25. FSU won by 2

Expand  

Vegas thought Washington would lose to Oregon, who they had already beat, by 10.5, but they won.

Vegas doesn't make odds based on who they think is better and by how much, but by what they think they'll be able to get even betting on each side so they can get their cut from the margins.

I know I'm agreeing with you, just adding in some additional context for the other guy

I stopped reading after "I don't".

There's no sense in missing the forest for the trees here. If someone actually thinks FSU would have a reasonable shot at winning a national championship with their current roster, let me know. Otherwise, it all rings hollow.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I stopped reading after "I don't".

There's no sense in missing the forest for the trees here. If someone actually thinks FSU would have a reasonable shot at winning a national championship with their current roster, let me know. Otherwise, it all rings hollow.

Your point of data is irrelevant. It's a guess based on how much money Vegas is trying to make.

There is no data that perfectly predicts anything. That's why they play the games.

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

You mean like LSU and Florida?

Not saying FSU didn’t try to. What I’m saying is if the committee put in an FSU team that by all accounts is inferior to both Alabama and Georgia simply because they’re undefeated this season, it would reinforce the sentiment that teams should just focus on their conference no matter how weak, and schedule easy wins other wise. If they do that, we all lose.

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Let me know if you want to put anything on UGA-FSU. We can talk specifics, I'm flexible.

Are we pretending that Verse, Coleman, and others are even playing in that game? Both teams will play their backups so the outcome is completely irrelevant either way. Bowl games suck and serve no purpose.

Just now, NateDawg said:

Someone who thinks they made the right decision is still going to have to explain to me why Florida State is ranked fifth ahead of schools like Georgia, Oregon, and Ohio State, but behind Alabama

I don't care about rankings 5 and beyond. The committee could put them in alphabetical order and it'd be the same.

The only reason people care about the non-playoff team rankings before the final rankings is as a sneak preview to help clarify what if scenarios.