Playoff rankings

MWil23

I hate Alabama, but Florida State missing the college football playoffs could indeed be a blessing in disguise. The exclusion signifies a shift towards valuing strength of schedule over mere win-loss records by the selection committee. This change might encourage powerhouse teams to prioritize challenging opponents during their non-conference schedules instead of opting for weaker opponents. Ultimately, this shift could lead to more exciting and competitive matchups for viewers, steering away from predictable outcomes and fostering a higher quality of football games.

Furthermore, expanding to an 8-team playoff format, including all 4 power conference champions (now that the PAC-12 is dead) and 4 at-large teams, would enhance the trend. If the committee maintains its emphasis on schedule strength, this shift would likely lead to even more high-profile games in September and October.

Of course if all of this was just to ensure that the SEC was represented then it’s a travesty. 

10 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Other than the playoff teams, is anybody happy about their New Years 6 bowl matchups?

I badly wanted OSU to play Georgia. That’s an opponent that would have meant something and been a game worth watching. Instead Georgia faces an emotionally depleted FSU team who should have been in the playoffs.

We get NOTHING out of facing Missouri.

I'm happy about the UGA and FSU matchup, especially since it's before the CFB playoffs. FSU will lose by a billion and the "scandal" is over

• Like 5

Smoke and mirrors. Alabama beat Mississippi and Georgia and really nobody else of consequence. They beat LSU, who FSU blasted. We are a week removed from them escaping Auburn on a game given away to the point we are overlooking the record for the season because SEC. 

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Nothing that happens in the Georgia/Florida State game or the Michigan/Alabama game validates the decision by the committee.

If we want to say, "no hindsight", fair enough.

Then the Vegas line that puts FSU +13 behind an UGA team that no one wanted included validates the decision of the committee.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I hate Alabama, but Florida State missing the college football playoffs could indeed be a blessing in disguise. The exclusion signifies a shift towards valuing strength of schedule over mere win-loss records by the selection committee. This change might encourage powerhouse teams to prioritize challenging opponents during their non-conference schedules instead of opting for weaker opponents. Ultimately, this shift could lead to more exciting and competitive matchups for viewers, steering away from predictable outcomes and fostering a higher quality of football games.

You mean like LSU and Florida?

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If you have a single point of data that suggests FSU isn't about to get run up and down a field so bad it'd make Andrew Jackson blush, let me know.

I don't. All you have is a point spread. Not exactly great points of data.

-Vegas thought FSU would beat Louisville by 1. FSU won by 10.

-Vegas thought FSU would lose to LSU by 2. FSU won by 21.

-Vegas thought Georgia would beat Alabama by 5. Georgia lost

Goes the other way, too.

-Vegas thought FSU would beat Boston College by 25. FSU won by 2

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If we want to say, "no hindsight", fair enough.

Then the Vegas line that puts FSU +13 behind an UGA team that no one wanted included validates the decision of the committee.

Then they should’ve put Georgia ahead of FSU in the rankings, might as well put oregon and OHiO st ahead of them also.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I don't. All you have is a point spread. Not exactly great points of data.

-Vegas thought FSU would beat Louisville by 1. FSU won by 10.

-Vegas thought FSU would lose to LSU by 2. FSU won by 21.

-Vegas thought Georgia would beat Alabama by 5. Georgia lost

Goes the other way, too.

-Vegas thought FSU would beat Boston College by 25. FSU won by 2

Vegas thought Washington would lose to Oregon, who they had already beat, by 10.5, but they won.

Vegas doesn't make odds based on who they think is better and by how much, but by what they think they'll be able to get even betting on each side so they can get their cut from the margins.

I know I'm agreeing with you, just adding in some additional context for the other guy

• Like 1