Ongoing Coaching & GM Rumors/Updates Talk

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

I wonder how many terrible HC’s would have kept their job if you let it up to a players vote.

For example in NYC, Rex Ryan sucked but his players loved him. If you left it up to them to determine his fate I bet if the players got to vote at least 90% would say keep him. 

Arthur Smith wouldn't have been fired.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I stand by that criticism. Finding a HC should be the singular top priority for a GM, and everyone in the league knows interview season starts the Monday after Week 17. GMs are middle managers, they can delegate day to day tasks as needed. And if they don't feel like they can, it's a sign of their own incompetence.

Are you suggesting that the GM was off interviewing a dozen other guys while BB was glad-handing the owner, and that's a sign of overall organizational competence?

I’ll paraphrase what I said so it’s clear

first interview - shorter interview to weed out guys not qualified, all teams receive a list of candidates who are upcoming HC candidates, not all are right for your team 

second interview - mid to longer interview to talk more “meat and potato’s” 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

I’ll paraphrase what I said so it’s clear

first interview - shorter interview to weed out guys not qualified, all teams receive a list of candidates who are upcoming HC candidates, not all are right for your team 

second interview - mid to longer interview to talk more “meat and potato’s” 

I fail to see how this alleviates criticism for the GMs (or hiring manager, whatever their job title is) being unavailable when the top HC candidate walks through the door.

8 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I fail to see how this alleviates criticism for the GMs (or hiring manager, whatever their job title is) being unavailable when the top HC candidate walks through the door.

I'm just jumping in here so apologies if this has been addressed.

Was he unavailable or did the owner just do the initial screening?

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Considering it was Belichick, Blank did the initial screening here. With literally everyone else (Harbaugh included), it was McKay and Fontenot.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This just tells me the Bears are gonna take Caleb Williams. 

However, we all know that Kingsbury isn't a good NFL OC.

He led the league in screen rate like every year he was here and is an extremely predictable playcalller. Doesn't believe in play action. Doesn't use any plays under center. Requires super specific RB skill sets that result in mediocre production due to scarcity. Poor Bears fans if they get him.

• Like 1

Chargers are all in on Harbaugh. But Vrabel is like 1B for me. Younger then Harbaugh and you do not have to worry about the burn out factor that comes with Jim (He got a little Larry Brown in him). 

Edited by game3525

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It's the owner who did the initial screening. I'm saying there is no excuse for the GM (or hiring manager) to be as uninvolved as they have been, regardless of workload.

7 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm not seeing where the "organizational incompetence" is here. We're talking about Bill Belichick! The owner was trying to woo the top candidate, obviously he's not going to have to go through the same procedure as other candidates being asked interview questions by Rich McKay.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I'm not seeing where the "organizational incompetence" is here. We're talking about Bill Belichick! The owner was trying to woo the top candidate, obviously he's not going to have to go through the same procedure as other candidates being asked interview questions by Rich McKay.

Agreed. It is respect. Bill isn't taking that call if the first meeting was just the GM. He wants a direct line with the owner. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

It should be McKay's job to woo the candidate, he's the hiring manager.