Ongoing Coaching & GM Rumors/Updates Talk

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

I think Vrabel’s going to either be a head coach or not coaching at all. I don’t think he’ll ever be a coordinator again.

And quiet as kept, he wasn’t very good when he was a DC.

People gloss over this - the Texans D he oversaw was dead last (32nd overall) with a few high level components he couldn't get going correctly (Jadevion Clowney being the most notable). The year before, under Romeo Crennell? 11th. 

Sure, the guys liked him and would run through the building for him - but he had zero clue on how to scheme them to play well.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, game3525 said:

Local guys are being fed info from FO members (AKA guys who will be out of job if Belichick is hired). Betting odds of Bill/Falcons haven't changed in the last few days. Hell, it has gone up. 

Not entirely. There are people with direct connections to ownership (Apparently, Warrick Dunn might be sitting in on some meetings as well and he's part of the ownership group.)

9 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

I could see Vrabel doing something like a year or so under BB in Atlanta if we get him as HC and have it as a Vrabel takes over once BB steps down or retires in 2 or 3 years.  Vrabel takes over a team he helped build and continue having success right off the bat. 

Yeah, I want nothing to do with that.

8 hours ago, game3525 said:

Also if it doesn't work out you can tank your value. Just look what happened to Mike Smith. Got fired from Atlanta, took the DC job in Tampa and was terrible and has never gotten a HC opportunity again.  Smith has .589 winning percentage too. 

If Vrabel doesn't get a job, he should take the year off. The Jets, Bears, Cowboys could all have openings next year. 

Well, Mike had some health issues. Still one of the nicest guys though.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

People gloss over this - the Texans D he oversaw was dead last (32nd overall) with a few high level components he couldn't get going correctly (Jadevion Clowney being the most notable). The year before, under Romeo Crennell? 11th. 

Sure, the guys liked him and would run through the building for him - but he had zero clue on how to scheme them to play well.

Exact same thing happened with us the year he called plays.

Dean Pees left after the 2019 season (rumor is because of Vrabel), he decides not to officially announce a DC the whole 2020 season, we then field the worst defense of his Titans tenure (including the worst 3rd down defense I’ve ever seen in my life; teams converted 51.9% on us that season), he then decides to officially announce Shane Bowen as DC for 2021  and beyond after that disastrous season.

Everyone should set their expectations low if they want Vrabel to be their DC or call the defense if he’s hired to be their head coach.

Edited by TitanSlim
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Dean Pees left after the 2019 season (rumor is because of Vrabel), he decides not to officially announce a DC the whole 2020 season, we then field the worst defense of his Titans tenure (including the worst 3rd down defense I’ve ever seen in my life; teams converted 51.9% on us that season), he then decides to officially announce Shane Bowen as DC for 2021  and beyond after that disastrous season.

Everyone should set their expectations low if they want Vrabel to be their DC or call the defense if he’s hired to be their head coach.

true if wesley woodyard is to be believed, and he also claims that vrabel took over playcalling in the 2019 afc championship game. i get that it's mahomes and reid, but we were coming off a game where we held the reigning mvp to 12 points and got totally shredded by KC. i also recall there was one game against the colts in either 2018 or 2019 when dean pees was hospitalized for something minor and missed the game, so vrabel called it and our usually-stout defense was absolute tissue paper the entire time. 

i'm sure i'm forgetting someone, but off the top of my head vrabel is maybe the most drastic example i've ever seen of "better HC than coordinator." you really really do not want him calling plays.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I think the success of Dan Campbell is starting to serve as a reminder to fans that HC performance and DC/OC performance don't have nearly as much to do with each other as the league wanted to pretend over the past 5 years.

We might finally be moving on from every team trying to find a mini-McVay.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I would only want Vrabel as an AHC/linebackers kind of guy. Let him coach the linebackers. Let him be the assistant head coach with experience. Have a true DC.

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I think the success of Dan Campbell is starting to serve as a reminder to fans that HC performance and DC/OC performance don't have nearly as much to do with each other as the league wanted to pretend over the past 5 years.

We might finally be moving on from every team trying to find a mini-McVay.

thing is, mcvay didn't even call plays in washington lol! he was a total unknown!

edit okay ignore that apparently he did lol womp

Edited by -Hope-

Don't really think there's a chance that Vrabel is willing to take a job as an assistant -- he would probably take the year off rather than doing that and then try again next year where he isn't thrown into the mix midstream. Waiting a year also gives him the option of waiting to see what happens with Ohio State -- if Ryan Day can't beat Sherrone Moore then they will most likely throw the entire bag at him next year. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

thing is, mcvay didn't even call plays in washington lol! he was a total unknown!

edit okay ignore that apparently he did lol womp

The total unknown part is a problem, I think teams convinced themselves what they needed was the right offensive mind and then all of the leadership, organization, motivation, teambuilding type things would simply fall into place.

And with the right locker room or a guy who is both a great offensive mind and a natural leader, maybe it'd work, but Kliff ******* Kingsbury isn't a HC, that's a highly paid OC with job title inflation.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Mike Macdonald and Ben Johnson are locks for jobs. Dave Canales is just about a lock too. That leaves one team and Bill Belichick is less interviewed than Raheem Morris and Bobby Slowik who I would wager are likelier to fill the fourth vacancy available currently. Bills should do TV for a year.

Panthers - Dave Canales

Seahawks - Raheem Morris/Mike Vrabel

Commanders - Ben Johnson

Falcons - Mike Macdonald

3 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Mike Macdonald and Ben Johnson are locks for jobs. Dave Canales is just about a lock too. That leaves one team and Bill Belichick is less interviewed than Raheem Morris and Bobby Slowik who I would wager are likelier to fill the fourth vacancy available currently. Bills should do TV for a year.

Panthers - Dave Canales

Seahawks - Raheem Morris/Mike Vrabel

Commanders - Ben Johnson

Falcons - Mike Macdonald

Ejiroh Evero would be the alternative in Atlanta if Mike Macdonald goes elsewhere in my estimation. I think Bobby Slowik and Bill Belichick are tied for third in Atlanta.

Belichek completely blew this tbh. He has known for weeks if not months that he would be out of a job and he clearly wants to keep coaching in order to get the win record, and yet he did absolutely nothing to pull together a staff that suggests to other teams that he learned a single lesson from his mismanagement of the Patriots in the past couple of years.

Instead he thought owners would be so bowled over by his name/history that they'd be enthusiastic about him bringing along his merry band of losers and weirdos - Patricia, McDaniels, Judge, etc. Older coaches can still succeed in this league but you have to be willing to show that you're able to change/evolve with the game, but Belichek seems like he might be too stubborn to do that. 

His best chance at this stage is probably taking a year off, doing some broadcasting, and building relationships with some new coaches so that he can go into next year with a staff that isn't just the same retreads that have failed everywhere else they've gone because they don't have the 'Patriot Way' Tom Brady to smooth things over. I still don't know if that'll be enough but at least one of Philly, Buffalo, or Dallas will likely have an opening next year and desperate to get over the hump so if Belichek can sell himself as a bridge with a younger OC as the potential coach-in-waiting you can at least see a viable short-term and long-term path to success there. 

• Like 5