Ongoing Coaching & GM Rumors/Updates Talk

RaidersAreOne

9 hours ago, SotanKing said:

Zimmer is a great DC...his defense has great track record and even during end of Vikings tenure when he had to deal with depleted defenses with ton of injuries & worst pass rush in league, he still did the best possible job he can. Would be a great hire for a team like Cowboys who have so much talent on defense

Few men could have done less with the elite level pass rushers that we had during his time in Dallas. What did he do instead? Played a containment style zone cover-2 with zero pass rush.

1 hour ago, Soggust said:

sry if repost but thought it was interesting

7zv7xd9iwhgc1.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

q2b2ce9iwhgc1.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

Yeah, I posted in a different format earlier.  I too think it’s interesting, but looks like folks around here don’t care 🙂

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, I posted in a different format earlier.  I too think it’s interesting, but looks like folks around here don’t care 🙂

Haha sorry I knew I should have done the diligence of at least looking through the thread =p

30 minutes ago, Danger said:

This list is invalid

In no world is Brian Johnson better than Andy Reid

A) Outliers do exist.  No ranking is perfect.

B) It's just performance over one year - 2023, excluding playoffs.  It's not a lifetime achievement ranking.

C) All year we were hearing about how much the Chiefs offense was struggling.  It wasn't just due to receiver drops.

13 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Haha sorry I knew I should have done the diligence of at least looking through the thread =p

No worries - hopefully it leads to some interesting discussion!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

Would seem that McCarthy and Quinn benefited from huge blowouts against bad teams making up for their struggles against good teams.

The 4 caveats I see to this system: 

1.   Doesn’t incorporate competition.   Press Taylor & JAX thrived against the bad teams but struggled against good D except NO (who were missing their key secondary players).   

2.  Weighs total output creating the effect you see with McCarthy & Quinn.   The flip side is that DEN DC Vance Joseph (who I don’t think is that special) remained dead last because of the first 5 games for the next 8+ weeks even though the D actually righted the ship and performed at a top 10 level after that disastrous start.  

3.  DEN’s example shows the effect that it doesn’t account for change.   Every system is prone to this but showing quartiles helps give a fuller picture.   PHI O is a great example of this.  

4.   I’m guessing  it weighs negative plays a ton - because Hackett isn’t in the bottom 5.   The Jets were the worst team on 1st down and had one of the most 2nd and 9+ ratios - that’s a huge reflection on play calling.  But because they focused on no TO / negative plays Hackett likely ends up being artificially inflated.  

There is no perfect system.   I love DVOA and it had the same issue with DEN D.    But the context helps understand the differences that don’t really seem to match perception.    Sometimes it’s a real signal to change perception.   Other times it’s a result of the rating system setup bias more than a change in perception that’s needed.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MaddHatter said:

Would seem that McCarthy and Quinn benefited from huge blowouts against bad teams making up for their struggles against good teams.

That was a main discussion point that a certain cowboy fan couldn't grasp.  

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

There's so many great young minds across the league but yet so many still hang on to the old guards. Just promote Al Harris and have one of these guys as a senior defensive assistant, ughhh.

The thing that I don't get is that Zimmer and Rivera aren't even close stylistically, or personality-wise.   

My main concern with Zimmer is at his age, taking 2+ years off from the NFL, did he try and adjust with the times, or is he literally the same guy with no new tricks learned?    The league evolves too much and too quickly to just think what worked in 2017-20 will work again.   Having said that, Zimmer's attacking style, and focus on early run stoppage, followed by emphasis on pressure, certainly fits better with DAL's personnel.    It's just a case of whether he has any new tricks, because the league knows what his leans and tendencies are.   If he's rolling out the same old, same old, chances are OC's can adjust quickly.

I will say this, though - Zimmer has about 100x better chance to succeed than Ron Rivera.    Rivera has openly admitted he didn't even bother coaching the last 3 years.   The guy did not know his team could be eliminated in Week 17 last year.    I realize it's a DC job, but that glaring lack of attention to detail, tells you more than enough.     Rivera has been living off early 2010's results and Cam Newton's great early years for a reputation that is completely fraudulent. 

I don't think either is a great choice, but it's not even a Q IMO if the 2 choices are Mike Zimmer and Ron Rivera.    The fact McCarthy & Jerry/co. can't see this should be very troubling to Cowboy fans.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2