Ongoing Coaching & GM Rumors/Updates Talk

RaidersAreOne

31 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This feels like keeping Bill O'Brien around because he kept winning the AFCS...

BOB made a SB as the Texans HC the year before he was fired?

Massive difference. 

Nick is guilty of what Doug was guilty of, trying to hire from within. Problem was he chose the wrong side to hire from within. 

He thought Brian Johnson would bring stability to the offense,  familiarity to Hurts and all of the offensive players. What he didn't account for was Brian complete inability to call plays. Adjust on the fly. Something Shane was very good at. 

Who he should of hired was Denard Wilson from within and made him DC instead. Clearly that decision to hire Desai and adding Patricia was a bigger mistake then BJ. Which speaks volumes. 

To go from a top 3 Defense in 2022 to a bottom 3 defense in 2023 is inexcusable. Regardless of 6 starters being replaced or not.

1 hour ago, game3525 said:

Yeah, Big Mike at least calls the plays for a top 5 offense. He has his faults, but Dak had arguably his best year with him running the offense. I get why Jerry didn't fire him. Siriani being retained is something I just didn't get because I don't know what he exactly does to help the team. 

I mean, I think in situations like this we do almost have to defer to ignorance, right? 

Not all HCs are playcallers. Belichick didn’t call the defenses. Harbaugh doesn’t call plays. Tomlin doesn’t call plays. Campbell doesn’t call plays. Vrabel didn’t. And not all playcallers are necessarily the brains of their playcalling. There were serious questions about Pederson’s Eagles offenses after Reich left, for example. Shanahan doesn’t call the defenses himself, but we just saw Wilks get fired with accompanying reports that Kyle was essentially forcing him to play defense a certain way.

We kind of just measure the results of those guys + draw what we can from statements by players/media and run with it. Hard to say anymore than that that just doesn’t sound like a cliche. Hard to know exactly how much a guy does as far as game planning, strategies, influence on personnel, managing the players, etc. 

Not defending what we’ve seen of Sirianni here. Even when they were winning games this year, you could see they weren’t the same as last season. But what do we know about SB hangovers? They lost both coordinators, and replaced them with guys that clearly didn’t work out. AJB like Dez Bryant this year with his antics. The secondary predictably regressed, the front seven lost their backers, and the DL regressed to the mean after a historic season rushing the passer in 2022. Hurts played with some injuries and there are rumblings that he wasn’t ready for the pressure that came when he got paid. With all that in mind, as much as I hate Sirianni, I think firing him after a season is premature. I’m not saying he’s got an endless leash, if things don’t get better, then bounce. If the team was as good as it was last year with the same staff, I’d feel differently. I just think if you weigh the context, he’s earned more than a half a season’s worth of bad coaching. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Eh I never thought much of Ficken. He was with the Vikings for a long time as an assistant and then immediately was a one and done as our ST coach.

When with Spielman and Zimmer gone after 2021, if he was any good at his job, you'd think he'd stay.

Well he is quite special with us, even if he wasn’t for you guys. We have a legit kicker now because of him. Also see the difference below. There’s a reason Jim Harbaugh let his own son go elsewhere to be ST coordinator.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, game3525 said:

We’ll have to see if the year off led to learning better passing schemes.

Herbert is at his best when passing, which Roman acknowledged, saying that his offense wouldn't look the way it has with Jackson and Kaepernick.

"It's going to be a little different," Roman said. "I think you're going to see probably a multiple running game. You'll probably see the use of motions and shifting, and then you'll see a pretty diverse passing game.

Edited by Xenos

6 hours ago, adamq said:

One thing Vrabel was great at while he was here was the game management aspect of coaching. A big reason for that was “Stretch”, who was a bit of an unsung hero for us and Vrabel. Think of a poor man’s Ernie Adams.

I think he’ll be beneficial for McVay and the Rams.

• Like 1