Trevor Lawrence and the Jags - Year 4 (T-Law is what he is)

notthatbluestuff

On 9/24/2024 at 2:50 PM, Tugboat said:

From the way some people talk about him, you'd think he's Zach Wilson or Mitch Trubisky or Sam Darnold or something.

As @Hunter2_1 kind of alluded to, thats the direct result of being overhyped.

While he obviously isnt that bad, his hype was exponentially higher than all of them, and he got paid top end franchise QB money before ever truly proving he deserved it.

So, while he gets more ridicule and scorn than the guys you mentioned, its not because most people view him on the same level as those guys....its because Trevor was put on a super high pedastal coming out of college and then got paid franchise money based on what Id classify as merely decent play.

I dont blame Trevor for any of that and believe he can turn it around, but he has had a Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck esque spotlight on him since before he was even drafted, so his success and/or failures were always going to be more magnified than your typical highly drafted QB.

• Like 1

I think we make this way over complicated, and its sad how many fanbases this comes close to imploding. We went through it twice with Bradford and Goff.

Imagine Lawrence on the Niners or Lions. Really not difficult to imagine him leading those teams to playoff success.

We saw Stafford go from Detroit to winning a Super Bowl.

"But he's not on those teams" - true. I also think Purdy would look awful for the Jags and I've seen Goff look terrible up close.

By the way - this is not a defense of Lawrence....if anything, it means they NEVER should have paid him in the first place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

I think we make this way over complicated, and its sad how many fanbases this comes close to imploding. We went through it twice with Bradford and Goff.

Imagine Lawrence on the Niners or Lions. Really not difficult to imagine him leading those teams to playoff success.

We saw Stafford go from Detroit to winning a Super Bowl.

"But he's not on those teams" - true. I also think Purdy would look awful for the Jags and I've seen Goff look terrible up close.

By the way - this is not a defense of Lawrence....if anything, it means they NEVER should have paid him in the first place.

The jaguars have freaking talent. That’s not an issue. Get outta here. 

Look at their pay role. Look at the players. 

You’re telling me a legit NFL QB won’t make f magic happen with 

Travis, a Damm good RB and a dual threat?!

Engram a top 3-5 TE in the nfl?

Kirk and Davis who are excellent #2 WRs. 

come on man. At one point you grab your nuts and stop making excuses. Feels like drew Bree’s again, but but but his defense. 

At least make the playoffs and choke. 
There’s been dudes that can carry crap rosters. McNabb had trash WRs his whole career in Philly minus TO. This isn’t a rookie qb. This is a seasoned vet who’s getting paid insane money to produce. But he needs everything to go right? F outtaaaaa here. 

in a trash afc south too were it’s easy dubs paloooza. Every year there’s gotta be progression. There’s been regression every year with this guy. 

Ballers ball boi… Guy has shown he ain’t got the juice. You put Herbert here these dudes ripping as. No cap. You put Josh allen there he’s still losing to the chiefs. 

Lawrence, Danny dimes all those dudes are just pure hot garbage. How much more time do they need?!

7 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I said it when he got paid and ill say it again

Why did we pay him that much? Because in my head, if he played well, what was he going to get 60M a year? Ok but if he played another mid/worse season we would get him for WAY less or not bother

Just seemed like bad business from the jump

I mean to be fair he looked good in his second year especially after his terrible rookie season and the Jags were looking good through the first 11 games last year. He just struggled after that Cincy game and they haven't been able to find their mojo since. 

Between the 2022/2023 seasons he was 5th in passing yards (behind only Mahomes/Goff/Allen/Tua) and 10th in passing TD.

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I mean to be fair he looked good in his second year especially after his terrible rookie season and the Jags were looking good through the first 11 games last year. He just struggled after that Cincy game and they haven't been able to find their mojo since. 

Between the 2022/2023 seasons he was 5th in passing yards (behind only Mahomes/Goff/Allen/Tua) and 10th in passing TD.

The 2nd half last year was nuked by the Kirk being out for the year and Trevor playing through a bad injury but this year i see no excuses that can be made. We need a playcaller that can scheme easier things up. Cant get rid of Trevor now

15 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I said it when he got paid and ill say it again

Why did we pay him that much? Because in my head, if he played well, what was he going to get 60M a year? Ok but if he played another mid/worse season we would get him for WAY less or not bother

Just seemed like bad business from the jump

I remember seeing that and thinking that it was awful early to be extending him, and that it was absolutely looking like an extension he had not earned by his play, but one where they were expecting him to basically grow into it.  

Not saying Lawrence is mailing it in after getting paid at all, but I was just surprised he didn’t need to prove it a bit more.