2023 - The Second Half

vike daddy

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I really want to get that top wildcard so they can go the NFC South champions place.  Those teams are still garbage and no matter who comes out of that division is eminently beatable. 

Seattle and Dallas are our targets then for that to happen.

Seattle Schedule:
at Rams
49ers
at Cowboys
at 49ers
Eagles
at Titans
Steelers
at Cardinals

Dallas Schedule:
at Panthers
Commanders
Seahawks
Eagles
at Bills
at Dolphins
Lions
at Commanders

18 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Absolutely brutal 4-game stretch for them. I think they'll be lucky to go 1-3 there.

yes, very much so.

that will be our opportunity to move up.

i'm only watching Seattle and Dallas as our wild Card competitors right now. if Seattle takes a big dive, who then moves up in the ranks if they can keep winning? Tampa Bay? Washington?

7 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

yes, very much so.

that will be our opportunity to move up.

i'm only watching Seattle and Dallas as our wild Card competitors right now. if Seattle takes a big dive, who then moves up in the ranks if they can keep winning? Tampa Bay? Washington?

I think the reason why the Vikings are at 85-86% playoff probability is because TB and Washington really aren't threats.  TB still has 4 division games left and those teams beat each other up (so only 1 team is coming out of that division), go to SF this week and still have to go to Lambeau in December, which you know is still going to be a tough place to play.  Washington still has to play Dallas twice, Miami and SF. 

If the Vikings can do what they probably should do, it's all about seeding and not the teams involved.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

TB and WAS are the next closest in the standings. Not sure we need to worry about ATL/NO, assuming we continue to take care of business, as we have the tie-breaker over them. We're in a very STRONG spot for a WC.

• Like 1

Just now, VikeManDan said:

We're in a very STRONG spot for a WC.

yes, i agree. we're destiny controllers and all that. but what we've learned from KOC et al the last few weeks is we don't settle for just good enough, just clearing the bar.

entering the playoffs at #7, just getting in, should not be our goal.

but yes, first of all, one game at a time, one win at a time...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

yes, i agree. we're destiny controllers and all that. but what we've learned from KOC et al the last few weeks is we don't settle for just good enough, just clearing the bar.

entering the playoffs at #7, just getting in, should not be our goal.

but yes, first of all, one game at a time, one win at a time...

The division should still be the goal. Hosting a playoff game should be the goal. Have to keep pace with Detroit and hope we can sweep them. Might be a long shot but if that isn’t an aspiration, hard to think of us a real contender. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

The division should still be the goal. Hosting a playoff game should be the goal. Have to keep pace with Detroit and hope we can sweep them. Might be a long shot but if that isn’t an aspiration, hard to think of us a real contender. 

let's put some carts in front of some horses...

if the win and lose chips fall to our best advantage in this Second Half Season, and we win the North, would we likely be ranked #2?

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

if the win and lose chips fall to our best advantage in this Second Half Season, and we win the North, would we likely be ranked #2?

With the tiebreaker over SF, probably...because while SF is more talented, I think they are vulnerable as they also have a tough stretch, facing Seattle twice, Baltimore and Philly. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

So I dug into this a bit.

The teams realistically at play here are:

49ers: 6-3

Lions: 7-2

Vikings: 6-4

If the 9ers and Vikings win out then our Vikings are probably the 3rd seed.

However the 9ers have tough matchups against the Eagles, Ravens, and to a lesser extent, the Seahawks. There is probably a loss in there, but I could see them winning out.

And while, in a hypothetical where the Vikings beat the Lions twice, they could certainly run the table against everyone else. Beating the Bengals will be tough. So in that scenario, we're looking at:

Lions and 49ers: 13-4

Vikings: 12-5

In which case were, most likely, battling the Cowboys and Seahawks for the top wildcard spot.

But all of that said, yes the Vikings do have a path to the #2 seed if they win out and the 49ers lose 1 more game 

Have the horses toppled all of the carts now? Looks like we've got a huge pile up on East 94 now.

Edited by Dolmonite26
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

So I dug into this a bit.

But all of that said, yes the Vikings do have a path to the #2 seed if they win out and the 49ers lose 1 more game 

because we'll have identical records as the Niners and have beat them head to head?

what would the Lions' record be in that scenario?

20 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

because we'll have identical records as the Niners and have beat them head to head?

what would the Lions' record be in that scenario?

Yes in this scenario:

-Vikings win out

-Niners lose at least one more

-Lions win all non Vikings games 

All three teams would have a 13-4 record and the Vikings would own the head to head tie breakers. The Seahawks could be a dark horse here as they currently have a 6-3 record but I'm not sure they're good enough to win out and they have a brutal stretch of game in front of them right now.

At least I think this all correct, feel free to check my math lol

Edited by Dolmonite26
  • Like 1