the good the bad the not so ugly vs the giants

BackinBlack

14 hours ago, Darbsk said:

We know two teams preferred them at that time, sure. To say everyone does now is ludicrous. I’d wager the Raiders wouldn’t swap Mayer for either straight up. I wouldn’t and I like LaPorta a lot. 

With regard production, that’s obviously due to inept QB play and terrible coaching, but you know that. I know you’re not this dense, you might disagree with me that Mayer won’t become the best of the three and that’s fair, but your points are self evidently redundant. He doesn’t have the stats obviously, but his blocking is already far superior and given his chance I think he will produce. It is my opinion he’s going to be the best and time will tell, either way, I think it’s a good pick to circle around to your original post 🙂

I think AOC has been the best QB in the nfl by a margain this season. He hasn’t shown it on film, impacting games, or with his production. But there’s nothing to say he hasn’t been, right? So it must be true. 

13 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I think they’re trying to say the other two are big WR’s not real TEs. No blocking

Kelce’s blocking has always been meh and he is considered by far the best TE in the NFL. If Mayer’s blocking has been so elite why have we had one of the least effective running games in the league?

13 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I think they’re trying to say the other two are big WR’s not real TEs. No blocking

5 hours ago, raidr4life said:

And Mayer still avg 12 yards per catch LaPorta 10 and Kincaid 8.5

Mayer better because he blocks for one of the worst run games in the league. Or because he has 0 production in the passing game regardless of who is at QB or calling plays? Or because he was drafted behind them? Hard to put my finger on it tbh.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Kelce’s blocking has always been meh and he is considered by far the best TE in the NFL. If Mayer’s blocking has been so elite why have we had one of the least effective running games in the league?

I agree with your stance on Mayer, he hasn't produced, and for a variety of reasons. So one can't say he's great yet. It's just one big question mark until he actually does it.  And until he does it, he's not great yet. 

But this question you pose is a horrid argument. It's common sense that a teams rushing stats are not dependent or a result of a single TE's ability to block. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I agree with your stance on Mayer, he hasn't produced, and for a variety of reasons. So one can't say he's great yet. It's just one big question mark until he actually does it.  And until he does it, he's not great yet. 

But this question you pose is a horrid argument. It's common sense that a teams rushing stats are not dependent or a result of a single TE's ability to block. 

I like Mayer and hope that he becomes the best TE in the league at some point. To say that he has been the best rookie TE in the league by a margin is kind of crazy though looking at what LaPorta and Kincaid have been doing. Those two will be in the conversation with guys like Kelce, Andrews, Hockenson, etc. by the end of this season. People have hated on them for not blocking but none of the elite TE's really have a great reputation for blocking either, you want dynamic TEs in the modern game. 

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think AOC has been the best QB in the nfl by a margain this season. He hasn’t shown it on film, impacting games, or with his production. But there’s nothing to say he hasn’t been, right? So it must be true. 

What are you babbling on about now?

If this is in reference to Michael Mayer, you can just tell if you actually watch the games. He’s going to be a very good TE. Maybe you prefer LaPorta, and that’s fine and that’s why I prefaced my original post with ‘in my opinion’.

The difference is you tend to make statements of ‘fact’ which are absolutely not that. If you say, ‘I don’t think’ any team views Mayer as better than the other two then we have something to work from in a productive discussion. If you say definitively ‘no team thought Mayer was better’, then one, that’s totally unprovable unless we both talk to all teams, but also it’s not honest because you don’t know it for a fact.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I like Mayer and hope that he becomes the best TE in the league at some point. To say that he has been the best rookie TE in the league by a margin is kind of crazy though looking at what LaPorta and Kincaid have been doing. Those two will be in the conversation with guys like Kelce, Andrews, Hockenson, etc. by the end of this season. People have hated on them for not blocking but none of the elite TE's really have a great reputation for blocking either, you want dynamic TEs in the modern game. 

This is actually a fair point.

I will totally concede that Mayer doesn’t have the stats and he hasn’t proven to be the best TE in the class, no argument there. But I think over the course of time he will prove to be a great player. Maybe I shouldn’t have said ‘by a margin’, again I’ll concede that point but having watched all three I think Mayer looks the most complete and he’s no slouch as a receiver and should have a lot more on his stat sheet. Hopefully, with the new coaching he’ll get more opportunities and be able to prove how good a receiver he can be. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

What are you babbling on about now?

If this is in reference to Michael Mayer, you can just tell if you actually watch the games. He’s going to be a very good TE. Maybe you prefer LaPorta, and that’s fine and that’s why I prefaced my original post with ‘in my opinion’.

The difference is you tend to make statements of ‘fact’ which are absolutely not that. If you say, ‘I don’t think’ any team views Mayer as better than the other two then we have something to work from in a productive discussion. If you say definitively ‘no team thought Mayer was better’, then one, that’s totally unprovable unless we both talk to all teams, but also it’s not honest because you don’t know it for a fact.

In my opinion AOC is the best QB in NFL history brother. 

2 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

This is actually a fair point.

I will totally concede that Mayer doesn’t have the stats and he hasn’t proven to be the best TE in the class, no argument there. But I think over the course of time he will prove to be a great player. Maybe I shouldn’t have said ‘by a margin’, again I’ll concede that point but having watched all three I think Mayer looks the most complete and he’s no slouch as a receiver and should have a lot more on his stat sheet. Hopefully, with the new coaching he’ll get more opportunities and be able to prove how good a receiver he can be. 

Most of the top tier TEs in the modern NFL are basically glorified slot WR's at this point. Mayer has had his moments and I loved him as a prospect, to be fair I had him as TE1 in the last draft. I hope he becomes Baby Gronk. 

• Like 1