Week 10: VIKINGS (5-4) vs. Saints (5-4)

swede700

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Well I guess Carson Wentz is not getting paid his old contract amount by his new team he signs with.  

"He’s due $732,500 for the remainder of this season as the Rams’ new back-up QB."

That is not that bad, I would have gambled on that just to get him in the building and see what he can do.  But yes when you get Dobbs for a similar amount and he has actually played this year and produced they made the right choice with that.  Will be curious what Wentz has left, honestly not looking forward to Mannion getting in if Dobbs goes down, he should just be a coach already but sticks around in the league because he knows the plays...  Clearly it is more about knowing all the plays, look at Dobbs and what he did with so little information on play calling last week.  

Also is nuts Tanner Morgan is getting a shot in the league at all, but a local guy and he is cheap for a practice squad dude.  Was on the Gophers coaching staff before coming over to the practice squad then leaving then coming back again.  Sweet gig for him though to go back and forth and know he has that coaching thing as an in when the NFL does not workout.  

I think they wanted someone that was already playing and wouldn't be coming off the bench cold

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Well I guess Carson Wentz is not getting paid his old contract amount by his new team he signs with.  

"He’s due $732,500 for the remainder of this season as the Rams’ new back-up QB."

That is not that bad, I would have gambled on that just to get him in the building and see what he can do.  But yes when you get Dobbs for a similar amount and he has actually played this year and produced they made the right choice with that.  Will be curious what Wentz has left, honestly not looking forward to Mannion getting in if Dobbs goes down, he should just be a coach already but sticks around in the league because he knows the plays...  Clearly it is more about knowing all the plays, look at Dobbs and what he did with so little information on play calling last week.  

Also is nuts Tanner Morgan is getting a shot in the league at all, but a local guy and he is cheap for a practice squad dude.  Was on the Gophers coaching staff before coming over to the practice squad then leaving then coming back again.  Sweet gig for him though to go back and forth and know he has that coaching thing as an in when the NFL does not workout.  

Wentz' physical skillset isn't the question. He's just a bad teammate and unwilling to accept any personal responsibility. That's been his M.O. since he hurt himself in Philly. No need to bring him in to see that. I have little doubt that Wentz would have folded on Sunday, whereas Dobbs has grit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I wouldn't gamble on Wentz for $73.25, let alone $732,500.  He is, always has been, and always will be a bum. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Wentz' physical skillset isn't the question. He's just a bad teammate and unwilling to accept any personal responsibility. That's been his M.O. since he hurt himself in Philly. No need to bring him in to see that. I have little doubt that Wentz would have folded on Sunday, whereas Dobbs has grit. 

I never said Dobbs was the wrong choice for right now. 

But there is the fact that Wentz threw for well over 22,000+ yards and 150+ TDs in 7 seasons, Dobbs in 6 years and only 4 of those years he was even in the league with gaps where he was not, he has 2173 passing yards and 12 TDs and 1727 yards and 10 of those TDs are this season his only real season of any playing time of note in his entire NFL career.  

And who is the bum again?  But yes no question right now Dobbs is the better choice because he has played this year but I would not be shocked if Wentz has a chance especially if Stafford calls it quits after this year for the Rams.    

Easy to say Dobbs has grit now after a win, but honestly long term he is not some QB for the future of this organization and is just a place holder at the moment.  He is what the Vikings wish Kellen Mond was, a mobile QB who can make plays with his arms and his legs and my guess is they lean that way in the draft in 2024 getting a mobile QB.    

Darrisaw had two limited practices on Wednesday and Thursday this week leading up to the battle with the Saints. Head coach Kevin O’Connell gave a couple of vague updates earlier in the week and didn’t sound particularly hopeful about his big tackle.

On Friday, however, Darrisaw practiced fully and, just like last week, doesn’t have an injury designation. It’s rare that a player without one actually misses a game, so Darrisaw should be good to go.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/top_news/at-least-1-star?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

On 11/9/2023 at 7:58 AM, swede700 said:

You indicated that they were top-10 in YPG allowed.  If you didn't intend for that to mean that they were a top-10 defense, then I have absolutely no idea what your intention was, because you didn't make it clear.

D-Lines are the not the same as defense.  The Falcons have an outstanding run defense (which likely is a credit to their DL), but their pass defense is awful (bottom 5 in the NFL), while the Saints' pass defense is top-10 and their run defense is middle of the pack.  That alone shows the significant difference in their defenses overall. 

Thank you for at least admitting you made an incorrect assumptions. Noting that Atlanta was top 10 on yards allowed was to show that they weren’t a pushover.

you made some connection about them being a too 10 defense. It’s not my job to help you not make that assumption before you state an argument.

I do not think the Saints have a far superior defense than the falcons. They haven’t played a single good offensive team.

I’ll check back in after the game and we can review this amazing defense that they have. All I have to say is Hock is going to have a stellar game. We will have our best statistical rush game as well.

Edited by HEYPAUL!
  • Like 1

On 11/9/2023 at 8:38 AM, Dolmonite26 said:

It's hard to tell in how much good faith you're asking this question, but raw stats like ypg or ppg are noisy and don't tend to paint a good picture.

This is because they are descriptive and only tell you want has happened in the broadest strokes.

Ratings and stats like DVOA, EPA, points per drive and success rate do a better job of prescribing the actual performance of a team and setting expectations for what can happen going forward.

To that point, the falcons are 25th in defensive DVOA and the Saints are 9th (Vikings are 10th).

I’m genuinely asking because this thread is the only place I’ve heard or seen anyone talk up the saints defense to the point that they are far superior than the falcons. Even their own fans think their d is trash. I’ve heard professionals say the defense levels are comparable. The stat you provided doesn’t take into account the Saints played trash offenses all year.

like I said above. I’ll check this thread later and we can review this stellar defense of the saints.

Edited by HEYPAUL!