2024 Offseason Thread: Dodgers Betting Big On Ohtani

hrubes20

4 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

I know he's close to FA and arguably not elite anymore, but this trade is so good for Baltimore. All it cost were a potentially solid reliever and a guy they had no room for.

And the 34th overall pick, which is slightly better than the draft pick the Brewers would get if they get Burnes through the season and offered him a QO 

Burnes 

Bradish 

Grayson 

Means 

Kremer 

That’s a damn good staff.  It also pushes Tyler Wells into the bullpen, where he’s excelled before.  If Bradish and Rodriguez come close to their dominant second half performances last year, this is a scary rotation 

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong but that seems like a really bad trade for the Brewers. This feels like a totally underwhelming deadline deal. How'd they not do better? I guess they knew they couldn't re-sign him, but still.

I didn't expect the moon for a player the Crew could never re-sign, but I also didn't expect to be underwhelmed.    Really don't understand the move after the Hoskins signing.     Sounds better when I say #6, #7 prospects in Orioles system and #34 pick but don't dig into the players.   Suddenly I'm on Adames watch...

43 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

I didn't expect the moon for a player the Crew could never re-sign, but I also didn't expect to be underwhelmed.    Really don't understand the move after the Hoskins signing.     Sounds better when I say #6, #7 prospects in Orioles system and #34 pick but don't dig into the players.   Suddenly I'm on Adames watch...

Well to be fair they have a great system.. there’s no other team I’d want him to go to then the os. They deserve him. 

• Like 1

This appears to be one of the rare win/win deals to me.  O's obviously do exactly what they needed to do, by consolidating non-elite prospect talent into a really nice piece for their big league club.  I don't think the Brewers got a star, but Adames is on his way out and they don't have any legit starting quality SS coming through their ranks.  Ortiz can be that guy for awhile.  Hall is a complete lottery ticket but he does have arm talent, and the pick is obviously more valuable than the one the Brewers would get after Burnes signed elsewhere next offseason.  Good move by both teams.

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

This appears to be one of the rare win/win deals to me.  O's obviously do exactly what they needed to do, by consolidating non-elite prospect talent into a really nice piece for their big league club.  I don't think the Brewers got a star, but Adames is on his way out and they don't have any legit starting quality SS coming through their ranks.  Ortiz can be that guy for awhile.  Hall is a complete lottery ticket but he does have arm talent, and the pick is obviously more valuable than the one the Brewers would get after Burnes signed elsewhere next offseason.  Good move by both teams.

Agree, good post

On 2/2/2024 at 1:34 PM, hrubes20 said:

Not sure I’d call Hall a complete lottery ticket.  I think he’s got one of the best floors around to be a dominant reliever- especially going to an organization that developed those players well.  Orioles still believed in him as a starter, and he was approaching this off-season with that in mind.  But you are correct, it’s a win/win for both teams.  

I’ve seen a lot of fan bases say that the deal was light, just based on prospect rankings, but the value of those guys in the Orioles system would have them ranked higher for fan bases of those other teams.  Just because the Brewers got the “6th and 7th ranked prospects” doesn’t take away that they’re ranked higher on just about every other team’s board.  Also, the Brewers clearly valued both of them being MLB-ready, and not many teams would have two players like that ready to ship off.  

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

Killed the sport, he should be so proud.

You're going to love one of the comments he made lol...

He wants to put a free agency deadline in place. It won't happen but the guy is such an utter moron for even suggesting one.

16 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

You're going to love one of the comments he made lol...

He wants to put a free agency deadline in place. It won't happen but the guy is such an utter moron for even suggesting one.

It genuinely hurts my soul to know that the people running baseball and the ones who own all the baseball teams ******* HATE baseball. 

• Like 1