UPDATED: 2024 Off-season Thread. Front Office/Coaching News, Free agents etc.

Trentwannabe

Here we are again, another Day 1 of the offseason. We are about $44m over the cap which puts us in a tough spot. I have been messing around on OTC the see what type of options we would have. Some tough decisions could also be made. I don't think anything will happen with Diggs because of contract, but he could also restructure.

- Josh Allen (Restructure)

- Dawson Knox (Trade)

- Von Miller (Post 6/1 Cut)

- Tre White (Cut/Trade)

- Rasul Douglas (Extend 1-2 years)

- Jordan Poyer (Cut)

- Deonte Harty (Cut)

- Nyheim Hines (Cut)

- Kair Elam (Post 6/1 Trade)

- Micah Hyde (Cut)

- Reggie Gilliam (Cut)

- Sam Martin (Cut)

- Damar Hamlin (Cut)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Since there's nowhere else to put this really I'm just gonna put it here.

It was the right throw. It was the right play. The OL was what was gonna cost us all year and eventually it was what cost us.

Right decision for sure. I personally wouldn’t have called that play, would’ve drained the clock to the absolute minimum( but I can’t argue with it because the play was there. 

Our line really played a lot better than we all expected, but you’re right….once again when we need it most the trenches fail. 

1 minute ago, bigbadbuff said:

Right decision for sure. I personally wouldn’t have called that play, would’ve drained the clock to the absolute minimum( but I can’t argue with it because the play was there. 

Our line really played a lot better than we all expected, but you’re right….once again when we need it most the trenches fail. 

When Mahomes needs that 0.05 seconds he gets it, Josh doesn't. And that's the difference in their careers and why Josh instead of potentially having two SB's has none. And Mahomes could be on his way to three. Game of margins, and ours aren't enough.

I think what might be flying under the radar, we need a legit DC. Our defenses from year to year have been solid, but with Frazier leaving and McDermy taking over this year, they just flounder in the playoffs and we are forced to score 30+ every game to win. Bring me a DC who can get the most out of our group in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Maxmw22 said:

I think what might be flying under the radar, we need a legit DC. Our defenses from year to year have been solid, but with Frazier leaving and McDermy taking over this year, they just flounder in the playoffs and we are forced to score 30+ every game to win. Bring me a DC who can get the most out of our group in the playoffs.

I don’t think it’ll ever matter who is the DC because that DC will only be that in title. It’ll always be Sean’s defense

38 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

I don’t think it’ll ever matter who is the DC because that DC will only be that in title. It’ll always be Sean’s defense

It would be so nice to just see someone like Martindale or Saleh if he had been fired to come in as DC and really take over that unit.

Also unless we promote him, we could lose Bobby Babich to the Giants 😞 

29 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

It would be so nice to just see someone like Martindale or Saleh if he had been fired to come in as DC and really take over that unit.

Also unless we promote him, we could lose Bobby Babich to the Giants 😞 

What about Babich as DC? Guy knows how to coach up linebackers for sure. Doesn’t mean that he can be a DC, but I wouldn’t mind giving him a shot.

16 minutes ago, Billsfaninptown said:

What about Babich as DC? Guy knows how to coach up linebackers for sure. Doesn’t mean that he can be a DC, but I wouldn’t mind giving him a shot.

I would be all for it. I don’t see McD passing over other internal hires like Holcomb and Washington unfortunately.

Some things that a player has confirmed:

Mitch Morse - plans to return in 2024 for final year of his deal.

Gabe Davis - wants to test free agency.

Online Whispers:

Micah Hyde - his wife had a long post thanking BillsMafia. He hinted at retirement.

Jordan Phillips - he hinted at retirement also. 

Nyhiem Hines - Sal had a tweet that suggest he is in the plans for 2024

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Some things that a player has confirmed:

Mitch Morse - plans to return in 2024 for final year of his deal.

Gabe Davis - wants to test free agency.

Online Whispers:

Micah Hyde - his wife had a long post thanking BillsMafia. He hinted at retirement.

Jordan Phillips - he hinted at retirement also. 

Nyhiem Hines - Sal had a tweet that suggest he is in the plans for 2024

Man seeing Micah and Po go out is going to hurt real bad 

Love Micah, helped changed the culture here, but the time to move off him and Po was after 21', lingering like this out of loyalty was always a bad play, and it cost us. 

Roster needs a complete reset. WR is need one, then I'd spend yet MORE resources on the defensive line, and try and see if I can pull a better LG/LT free.

6 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

The only way I see it happening is if Beane mandates it (or Pegula) as it could be a make or break year for McD. They can pin this year on injuries, but a lot of the contracts (like Von) have an out, or come to an end after 2024. Pipe dream I know, but it's January and I can dream, haha.

2 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Love Micah, helped changed the culture here, but the time to move off him and Po was after 21', lingering like this out of loyalty was always a bad play, and it cost us. 

Roster needs a complete reset. WR is need one, then I'd spend yet MORE resources on the defensive line, and try and see if I can pull a better LG/LT free.

Definitely have to move off of them at this point. Just sucks as a fan because those are two all timers for us. Helped turn a complete dumpster fire into 4X division champs. They are two all time Buffalo greats and should be only a tier below Kelly/Bruce/Thurman/Andre