Quantifying Our Quarterback Quandary...

vike daddy

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Some of us say all of the above.  🤣

Ideally, I would say that they resign Cousins and draft a guy at 11, but others feel that if you're going to draft a guy at 11, then you shouldn't bring back Cousins because then you'd have an asset not contributing anything for a year or 2.  Another option is to let Cousins go, draft a guy and sign a vet in Free Agency for the short-term (like a Tannehill).  Not a huge fan of that, but it'd work.  The only way I'd be okay starting the rookie Day 1 is if it's one of the top 3. 

Okay. 

Is this because you want rookie to learn under Cousins or because you believe in Cousins? 

What are you paying Cousins and who is your preferred fourth QB since top 3 will most likely be gone by 11?  

Is Tannehill your preferred vet option?  

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Okay. 

Is this because you want rookie to learn under Cousins or because you believe in Cousins? 

What are you paying Cousins and who is your preferred fourth QB since top 3 will most likely be gone by 11?  

Is Tannehill your preferred vet option?  

I personally think Cousins would be a good guy to learn under...I wouldn't pay Cousins more than $35-$37M a year...anything more than that would be a no-go.  My personal preferred 4th QB would be McCarthy, with Penix behind him.  I want nothing to do with Nix.  Tannehill and Minshew would probably be the top 2 of the likely to be available (I doubt that Mayfield will leave TB).  There probably aren't any others that would be worthy to start until the rookie is ready. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I personally think Cousins would be a good guy to learn under...I wouldn't pay Cousins more than $35-$37M a year...anything more than that would be a no-go.  My personal preferred 4th QB would be McCarthy, with Penix behind him.  I want nothing to do with Nix.  Tannehill and Minshew would probably be the top 2 of the likely to be available (I doubt that Mayfield will leave TB).  There probably aren't any others that would be worthy to start until the rookie is ready. 

McCarthy would be interesting long term investment.  Harbaugh really likes him.

What would your expectations be with a Cousins led 2024 Vikings that spends first on McCarthy?

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

What would your expectations be with a Cousins led 2024 Vikings that spends first on McCarthy?

I think they'd still be in competition to make the playoffs, which is why I feel it's important for them to get a QB this go-around, because with Cousins, I don't expect them to be as high in the draft order next year. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Super Bowl...I've never been good at managing my expectations! 😉

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

Super Bowl...I've never been good at managing my expectations! 😉

Division will be tougher for everyone next year I think.

I hope he stays healthy.  Like to seem him finish the season next year intact and retire rich.

I am impressed he earned and has held his starting job through all comers for most of his career from where he was drafted.  Through being tagged in WA and all that. 

10 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Division will be tougher for everyone next year I think.

I hope he stays healthy.  Like to seem him finish the season next year intact and retire rich.

I am impressed he earned and has held his starting job through all comers for most of his career from where he was drafted.  Through being tagged in WA and all that. 

Not just that, but he’s improved basically every season. I think we are probably at or near his ceiling. But I think you can still win with that. If the Vikings can stay put or trade down and get McCarthy, I’m all for it. This team isn’t one first round pick from a competent defense anyway. The Vikings will need to be successful in free agency and all through the draft to improve the defense. So if there’s no other cost to pick McCarthy, I think it makes all the sense in the world. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Not just that, but he’s improved basically every season. I think we are probably at or near his ceiling. But I think you can still win with that. If the Vikings can stay put or trade down and get McCarthy, I’m all for it. This team isn’t one first round pick from a competent defense anyway. The Vikings will need to be successful in free agency and all through the draft to improve the defense. So if there’s no other cost to pick McCarthy, I think it makes all the sense in the world. 

So ... resign Cousins one year and draft McCarthy at 11.

Everyone good with that plan? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

So ... resign Cousins one year and draft McCarthy at 11.

Everyone good with that plan? 

Cousins isn’t taking a one year deal, in my opinion. But I’m all for signing him up for 2 years. Three if there’s a decent team out after the second year. 

• Like 3

If Kirk leaves, and the Vikings decide to draft a first round QBOTF, the front office will need to decide to start the rookie right away, start a QB already on the roster (Hall, Dobbs, Mullens) or dip into free agency for veteran starter.  We have talked about Minshew...who I think would be first choice of everyone on this forum...me too. However,  if Minshew isn't available to us, what about Carson Wentz?  I know...he is prone to interceptions and injuries. Yet, he has spent the past season learning the McVay offensive scheme and performed well in the Rams final regular season game, while they rested Stafford.

In his favor:

1. Still relatively young. 

2. Spent last season not getting beat up...healthy as he's going to get.

3. Experience learning a similar offense.

4. Strong arm and can make plays with his legs.

5. Would probably come cheap.

Concerns/Questions:

1. Injury history...how are his knees?

2. Bad decision making. Can O'Connell continue the reclaimation McVay started?

3. Turnover history.  Can Wentz minimize interceptions and a propensity to fumble?

4. Is he willing to sign with the realization that he is likely a place holder?

Thoughts??

27 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

what about Carson Wentz?

I didn't see his play in the Rams game last year with Stafford was resting, but last time I saw Wentz playing he was missing way too many easy passes for me to want him as a starter.  If other options run out the team would have to consider it, but Wentz shouldn't be anything more than a backup IMO.

If the Vikings and Cousins go their separate ways, and the Vikings draft a QB. Either start the rookie, or start Mullens. 

Signing a vet to just keep the seat warm is just a waste of money. And, frankly, I don’t think it would be great for the locker room. Everyone knows the rookie is the future. Every mistake by the vet is going to be met with questions of whether or not it’s time to put in the rookie. And that’s going to come from the locker room and the fans. 

It’s different when you have an established starter, like Cousins would be. 

But I just don’t see the point in bringing in a guy who’s not that good to begin with. Just to take reps away from the guy the organization has marked as the future of the position. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

But I just don’t see the point in bringing in a guy who’s not that good to begin with. Just to take reps away from the guy the organization has marked as the future of the position. 

Unless the rookie is Williams, Maye or Daniel's you keep the rookie on the bench.  

I think starting Mullens or Hall communicates to the locker room that the Vikings don't think they can win in 2024.  Beyond the locker room, it communicates to the fan base that the Vikings will not be good in 2024.  Players don't play for the fans, but dammit, franchises better try to put a good product on the field to keep the fans and their wallets engaged.  Minshew and Wentz could provide the fans some exciting moments.  The worst thing that could happen is to start a rookie QB not named Williams, Maye or Daniel's, have him be overwhelmed and soul the bed.  It would be bad for the locker room, bad for the fans, and bad for the rookie QB.

10 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

Unless the rookie is Williams, Maye or Daniel's you keep the rookie on the bench

And comments like this tell me that you’ve never actually watched any of these quarterbacks play. I’m sorry, but there is just no way that you can watch Maye or even Daniels and come away with the opinion that they are ready to start day one, but guys like McCarthy and Nix need to sit and learn.

Williams, Maye, and Daniels may have better physical tools than the next tier of QBs in this class, but none of them have shown to be any further along in their development on the cerebral side of playing quarterback. In fact Maye might be last on the list in that facet. 

Wasting time on QB who has proven they can’t get the job done is simply a waste of time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

And comments like this tell me that you’ve never actually watched any of these quarterbacks play. I’m sorry, but there is just no way that you can watch Maye or even Daniels and come away with the opinion that they are ready to start day one, but guys like McCarthy and Nix need to sit and learn.

Williams, Maye, and Daniels may have better physical tools than the next tier of QBs in this class, but none of them have shown to be any further along in their development on the cerebral side of playing quarterback. In fact Maye might be last on the list in that facet. 

Wasting time on QB who has proven they can’t get the job done is simply a waste of time. 

My comment about the big three is that they are each big and athletic and might...might...avoid getting destroyed.  Personally...I would NEVER start a rookie QB...EVER. But, I realize I am in the minority.