Quantifying Our Quarterback Quandary...

vike daddy

9 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Ya, on another board I frequent it was suggested to keep playing Mullens so they keep losing at this point. I mean, if Hall doesn't turn the ball over, they win this week, right?

first of all.... you lousy two-timer, you! lol

second... Hall playing efficiently isn't the only way we potentially win this game. defense has to stop Love from loving, and with our hobbled pass rush and secondary, he has an easier time.

i'm glad it's a home game for us...

26 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

first of all.... you lousy two-timer, you! lol

second... Hall playing efficiently isn't the only way we potentially win this game. defense has to stop Love from loving, and with our hobbled pass rush and secondary, he has an easier time.

i'm glad it's a home game for us...

Hall could also go off for 350 yards, multiple TDs and no turnovers. But yes, figured a rookie may actually play a little more collected than Mullens who can’t seem to get out of his own way. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Win the Superbowl.

That's pretty much the only thing he can do that would stop me from resigning Cousins or drafting a day 1 QB

While this appears to be sensible, I just don’t think the brass will operate in this manor. 

If they retain Cousins (+2 yrs at his market rate), then they “are looking to get in the tournament” and making win now moves, and throwing a 1st at a QB to be backup likely is not appealing, as drafting a QB in the top 20 of the first round is always an ‘organization decision’

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Is there anything that Jaren Hall can do over the next two weeks to head into the offseason with him as the long term plan? IE, not re-signing Cousins/not using a day 1 or day 2 pick on a QB in the draft. 

How did we feel after Dobbs' first two games? It's really too small a sample size to make any long term plans. If Hall somehow miraculously leads the team deep into the playoffs, it could definitely make things interesting, but that is only a remote possibility. I think our QB room looks nearly the same next season, with a rookie replacing Mullens.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

Ya, on another board I frequent it was suggested to keep playing Mullens so they keep losing at this point. I mean, if Hall doesn't turn the ball over, they win this week, right?

Dobbs didn't turn the ball over in his last game, and the offense scored 0 points before he was benched. Hall needs to do more than simply protect the ball, and the receivers need to refrain from having another 6+ drop performance. A lot can still go wrong even if Hall has a decent game, especially with injuries piling up on both sides of the ball.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

According to BetOnline.ag, the Vikings are the odds-on favorite to land Russell Wilson when the time comes, likely in two to three months. These are the living betting odds for Wilson’s services:

Minnesota Vikings: 5/1
New England Patriots: 6/1
Washington Commanders: 7/1
Las Vegas Raiders: 7/1
Chicago Bears: 8/1
Atlanta Falcons: 8/1
New York Giants: 8/1
Pittsburgh Steelers: 8/1
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 10/1
Arizona Cardinals: 10/1
New Orleans Saints: 11/1
Seattle Seahawks: 33/1

One item is certain: Wilson’s next team can sign him for cheap in a few months because his Denver payday is ongoing. In fact, for some team, he’d be the perfect patch over quarterback to a rookie.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/top_news/land-russell?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

just throwing it out there for discussion...

WHAT?

Why get Russell Wilson?  Sure he would cost a fortune so if the Vikings even have the ability to pay a QB big money why would they ever give it to Russell Wilson instead of Kirk Cousins?  That makes no sense!

As for Jaren Hall, I am glad they are giving him the start, why not and honestly long term it would be better for the Vikings to lose the next two games than win the next two games.  What the Vikings if they did get into the playoffs would play the Eagles, Lions or Cowboys on the road in the 1st round Wild Card and lose to probably any of them no question about it and probably by a lot  So how is that an accomplishment again?  It only hurts their draft position....

Clearly though Mullens and Dobbs long term, I have little faith in either guy and let us get some new blood in here unless they can somehow sign Kirk Cousins without losing big time players to do so...

6 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

For the sake of discussion, does anyone think we should have made the move to trade for Trey Lance?

No. I was in favor of trading for Lance at the time, but that was when he was going to be able to sit behind Cousins for the year. Allowing him to learn and absorb.

Had Lance been pressed into playing after Cousins’ injury, the result would have likely been very similar to what we saw from Dobbs. You’d have still been asking a player with very little experience, and only a couple of weeks exposure to the offense, to run the offense and play effectively and efficiently. And given what Lance was struggling with in San Francisco, throwing him into the fire like that would probably not have had the greatest results. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

For the sake of discussion, does anyone think we should have made the move to trade for Trey Lance?

Would have been an interesting move for sure. I think the results would have been better than Dobbs though I’m not basing that on really anything. Really, if we’re sitting at 8-7 or 9-6 instead of 7-8 I think our perspective on making playoffs would be slightly more optimistic. Would trading for Lance have gotten us an extra win or two? I’m inclined to say yes but again that isn’t based on anything other than how bad Mullens has been. 

• Like 1

Success for Jaren Hall is not necessarily going to be just based on if they get a W. Passing the eye test as a QB is just as important. Meaning does he have the ability to deliver passes in the medium range and ‘drive the ball with some zip’ , with some okay decision making. Thats what I’m looking for on SNF. 

Dobbs couldn’t drive the ball down the feild, as he floated so many or was just very late or bad placement. 

Mullens had the gun-sligger mentality but without the arm to go with it, and it just turned into INTs and he didn’t look comfortable, which led to bad decisions/throws

Edited by CriminalMind

7 hours ago, Ozzy said:

WHAT?

Why get Russell Wilson?  Sure he would cost a fortune so if the Vikings even have the ability to pay a QB big money why would they ever give it to Russell Wilson instead of Kirk Cousins?  That makes no sense!

As for Jaren Hall, I am glad they are giving him the start, why not and honestly long term it would be better for the Vikings to lose the next two games than win the next two games.  What the Vikings if they did get into the playoffs would play the Eagles, Lions or Cowboys on the road in the 1st round Wild Card and lose to probably any of them no question about it and probably by a lot  So how is that an accomplishment again?  It only hurts their draft position....

Clearly though Mullens and Dobbs long term, I have little faith in either guy and let us get some new blood in here unless they can somehow sign Kirk Cousins without losing big time players to do so...

Denver is on the hook to Wilson for $39MM guaranteed next season. Wilson could play for the Vet Minimum and let Denver pick up the rest of it. 

That said, I want nothing to do with him. He’s a terrible QB and teammate, and he is even more insufferable as a human being than Aaron Rodgers. 

• Like 3