Quantifying Our Quarterback Quandary...

vike daddy

54 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Astronomical.  Take the RG3-package, and probably put a 50% premium on it.

Sure it’s astronomical. 

But let’s start with JJ + #13 + 2nd + for the QB you identify as THE future and you don’t need to throw $35-$40M for (two years or so) at a Cousins QB and you don’t need to spend $32M per year on the WR. 

just for discussion sakes

Edited by CriminalMind

11 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Sure it’s astronomical. 

But let’s start with JJ + #13 + 2nd + for the QB you identify as THE future and you don’t need to throw $35-$40M for (two years or so) at a Cousins QB and you don’t need to spend $32M per year on the WR. 

just for discussion sakes

I think what you are saying is logical. Yet, if we can sign Kirk to an extension AND draft the QBOF in the first round the Vikings should try to get it done...without offering JJ.  I really don't know anything about this class of QBs coming out, other then every expert I've heard has said there are multiple 1st round graded guys...more so than usual. I would hate to lose the opportunity in 2024 to wait for 2025 and not have as good number of 1st round graded QBs.

The other thing I see as important is having Kirk teaching the rookie how to be a professional QB.  Recent rookie QBs, thrown into starting in their first year, has shown me the big gap between being really good in college and being a serviceable starter in the pros.

50 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

JJ and next years first to Arizona for Williams or Daniels, yea or nay?

Absolutely. Let's trade away the face of the franchise, who is the league's best player at one of the most important positions, who could also be pivotal in the transition and success of a college QB at the next level, and at a time when a rookie QB would free up enough cap space to make it easy to keep JJ around. Because reasons.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sir Fobos said:

Absolutely. Let's trade away the face of the franchise, who is the league's best player at one of the most important positions, who could also be pivotal in the transition and success of a college QB at the next level, and at a time when a rookie QB would free up enough cap space to make it easy to keep JJ around. Because reasons.

It's a freaking discussion......why so harsh? 

Just now, PrplChilPill said:

It's a freaking discussion......why so harsh? 

1. People keep kicking this dead horse, specifically in the context of trading up for a QB, and in numerous threads.

2. It's a ludicrous idea to begin with, and the reasons have been well articulated by people who know football.

Just let it die already.

3 minutes ago, Sir Fobos said:

1. People keep kicking this dead horse, specifically in the context of trading up for a QB, and in numerous threads.

2. It's a ludicrous idea to begin with, and the reasons have been well articulated by people who know football.

Just let it die already.

Wait, why is it ludicrous to trade up for a QB, and who in the know of football, has articulated this ?

Just now, SemperFeist said:

How often has trading away elite talent worked out? 

Sometimes it’s unavoidable, ie Diggs demanding a trade. But the return of Jefferson was nothing short of blind luck. 

Most of the time the return heavily favors the team getting the proven talent. 

I don’t disagree. I wouldn’t trade JJ for “unknown draft picks” unless he demands a trade publicly etc. But I would consider trading a JJ package for the top draft pick, if they determined only one real QBOTF is in this draft and they use JJ to get him at #1, while saving cap dollars on QB and WR (with no Kirk and JJ contract).