Quantifying Our Quarterback Quandary...

vike daddy

19 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If Cousins remains with the Vikings, I’d bet it’ll be close to a 2 year deal for $75M. Which is what Aaron Rodgers renegotiated his contract to with the Jets. 

This would be something that I'd have to balk at unless part of the makeup involved per game roster bonuses.  Half of those would be deemed NLTBE incentives and give us some cap relief.

He's already on the books next year for $28.5M whether he's on the team or not; I'll admit that I'm rusty on my capology and don't know if void years can be incorporated back into an extension or not.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RpMc said:

This would be something that I'd have to balk at unless part of the makeup involved per game roster bonuses.  Half of those would be deemed NLTBE incentives and give us some cap relief.

He's already on the books next year for $28.5M whether he's on the team or not; I'll admit that I'm rusty on my capology and don't know if void years can be incorporated back into an extension or not.

I believe that if Cousins were to sign an extension, the $28.5 dead money left on the void years would be spread over the life of the new deal.

• Like 1

Mullens hasn’t started a game since 2021 when he was with Cleveland. He started eight games for San Francisco in 2018 and another eight games for the club in 2020.

Having entered the league as an undrafted free agent out of Southern Miss, Mullens has compiled a 5-12 record as a starter. He’s completed 65.4 percent of his career passes for 5,168 yards with 27 touchdowns and 23 interceptions.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/vikings-name-nick-mullens-starting-qb-for-week-15

11 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I appreciate what Dobbs was able to do for us. He probably played 3 games too many, but he at least kept our playoff hunt alive with key wins. 

I agree with this.  Dobbs played in what should've been an impossible to win situation. And, he led the Vikings to two crucial victories.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I believe that if Cousins were to sign an extension, the $28.5 dead money left on the void years would be spread over the life of the new deal.

That's helpful if true

2. QB KIRK COUSINS, MINNESOTA VIKINGS

An ill-timed torn Achilles derailed another strong season from Cousins, and he looked set to have a host of suitors in free agency, as he did back in 2018. Cousins still has the requisite arm strength to throw to all levels of the field and has been as accurate as ever in recent seasons.

Top free agent comparison: Philip Rivers, 2020
Player Clean pocket grade 1st & 2nd down grade Standard dropback grade Sack rate APY as % of Cap at signing
Kirk Cousins 91.1 89.1 90.3 5.9%  
Philip Rivers 91.2 89.0 87.3 5.5% 12.6%

*All data in tables reflects two years prior to UFA contract signing

Contract Projection: Two years, $60 million ($30 million per year), $37.5 million total guaranteed

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

In the If Wishes Were Fishes category...

Should we have pursued Joe Flacco? Would he have been more Cousins-like?

Flacco was done as an effective full-time starter by the time 2018 rolled around.  He's a competent backup at best...and 3 yrs older than Kirk.