Quantifying Our Quarterback Quandary...

vike daddy

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

Brett Favre.

You see, I would argue that Favre never reigned it in.  His incredible arm allowed him to get away with things...sometimes. Because Favre had success playing with wild abandon, it became a model for some younger quarterbacks.  However, very few of the new generation of gunslingers have arm talent that begins to approach Favre's.  Exhibit A...Mullens.  I want the quarterbacks thought process and football intelligence to match their arm talent.  Very rarely can the quarterback who is an undisciplined gunslinger have success as a gunslinger (Favre) or learn to become a disciplined thrower of the ball (Steve Young.)

I can see that, but Favre did reign it in from a 4% interception rate in his 2nd yr starting to under 3% for most of the rest of his career.  🤣

It's amazing in considering the most wild version of QB we think of today is Stafford, and his INT rate is still only 2.4% for his career, which is 33rd overall.  And for another one, Jameis Winston, whose % is only .1 percent higher than Favre, at 3.4%. 

For the record, there are 22 HOF QBs with a higher percentage of INTs than Favre ranging from Warren Moon at 3.4% to Bob Waterfield at 7.9%.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, swede700 said:

I can see that, but Favre did reign it in from a 4% interception rate in his 2nd yr starting to under 3% for most of the rest of his career.  🤣

It's amazing in considering the most wild version of QB we think of today is Stafford, and his INT rate is still only 2.4% for his career, which is 33rd overall.  And for another one, Jameis Winston, whose % is only .1 percent higher than Favre, at 3.4%. 

For the record, there are 22 HOF QBs with a higher percentage of INTs than Favre ranging from Warren Moon at 3.4% to Bob Waterfield at 7.9%.

Give Nick Mullens a 17 game season and he could probably break the all-time INT record in that timeframe lol

• Like 1

Just now, swede700 said:

Nick Mullens' career interception rate is equal to that of Tim Couch and Rodney Peete...and better than Fran Tarkenton, Dan Fouts and Bart Starr.

As people have pointed out, very different eras.  I wonder what kind of numbers those quarterbacks of the 60's and 70's had they played in the modern padding of passing stats?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

As people have pointed out, very different eras.  I wonder what kind of numbers those quarterbacks of the 60's and 70's had they played in the modern padding of passing stats?

Oh, I'm sure their stats would be significantly better than what they are...I was just pointing out the data.  🤣  It was also the day when CBs could actually touch WRs.  Even Josh Freeman's career INT rate is lower than Mullens..😉

• Like 2

10 hours ago, swede700 said:

Oh, I'm sure their stats would be significantly better than what they are...I was just pointing out the data.  🤣  It was also the day when CBs could actually touch WRs.  Even Josh Freeman's career INT rate is lower than Mullens..😉

It's hard to intercept a pass that lands in the nosebleed section.

• Like 5

This guy has been hitting the dispensaries in CA, I guess...

Being an avid Vikings fan, I want to be the Vikings GM for a day. Justin Jefferson and Kirk Cousins are two players in which I believe we can only keep one. Justin, I would offer him a four-year contract for $114.5 million. The breakdown is the following 24.5, 28, 30 and 32 million. I would guarantee 90 million. Justin must sign this contract by March 1, 2024. This way, I would know how much money I would have to spend in free agency. If Justin doesn't sign, then he will play for 19.5 million for the 2024 season.

In regards to Kirk Cousins, he will demand a three-year contract for 110 million guaranteed with a no-trade clause. Therefore, I am saying, 'Thanks, Kirk, for all you have done.' My starting quarterback for the 2024 Vikings will be one of the following three scenarios.

I will sign free agent quarterback Jake Browning for three years for 20 million. The breakdown is the following 3, 7 and 10 million. I would guarantee 12 million. I believe Jake would adapt easily in Coach O'Connell's system. He played well this past year filling in for Joe Burrow. The QB rotation would be Browning/Mullens/Hall. This way, we can use our first two draft picks for defensive players.

Trading a fifth-round pick for Zach Wilson. He has one year left on his rookie contract. See if a change of scenery will do well for him. I would still draft either [Michael Penix, Jr.] or Bo Nix in the first round. Therefore, my QB rotation would be Wilson/Mullens/Penix or Nix.

Draft either Penix or Nix. The QB rotation would be Penix or Nix, Mullens and Hall. My goal here is to create enough cap space to improve the offensive line and defense for 2024. I believe we can still make the playoffs with a 10 and 7 record and move in the right direction for future Super Bowl champions. Go Vikings!

https://www.vikings.com/news/quarterback-driven-offseason-2024