Black Friday Game Thread

JetsandI

Will this first debut event be closer to?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Will this first debut event bear a resemblance to?

• Black Sunday?
    • Thanksgiving Day?

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Hall getting to 1k would be something, but man has he not been effective as a runner unless hes breaking off homerun type gains. Likely mostly due to defenses stacking the box and our OL is trash, but hes also left a lot to be desired in terms of being able to break tackles and pickup tougher yards. He runs a little soft.

That's why I think 1k is really impressive. Doing it with an injured oline and stacked boxes? He might hit 1400+ with a healthy Rodgers and average Oline. 

9 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

Boyle getting the start. Honestly don’t know why he was ever on the roster to begin with but at least he appeared to be decisive in his limited action. Don’t anticipate much of an uptick in production but if he can at least read the defense and do a better job with the blitz the offense should look a little better.

He played three drives, attempted just 1 fewer passes than Wilson while completing that same number of passes, but throwing for 50 fewer yards despite playing against prevent D.  He ate a ten yard sack, threw a pick and almost had a second ball picked... FFS. 

If y'all want to trash a QB because he is terrible, that's fine but be consistent. Nothing Boyle did looked better than what Zach did. Boyles entire claim to fame is being Rodgers bff. He was bad in college, he was bad on the lions, he was bad in Green Bay and he was bad last night.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Big T said:

There are about 5-6 with potential 1st round grades, the Jets would be negligent if they did not try to get one.

You mean keep doing what has not worked in, like, forever?  How about fixing the OL with higher end prospects.  We certainly need a future starting QB but maybe we should get one in rounds 3 or later and try to develop him while learning from Rodgers.

If we do not get a first round OT, we go into the season with who at OT?  We are not getting a quality starting LT or RT in FA.  They usually are not available.  Perhaps an old guy will shake free but isn't that what we have been doing to dismal results?  Maybe Warren can man one the OT spots but we still need another along with a starting LG.

Until this OL is fixed, any QB, RB or WR will not play up to their ability and the OC will not be able to develop a good game plan.  Fix that first and worry about all the other offensive issues after that.  I really want to watch more than 10 minutes of a Jets game next year.  On the positive side, their is not one leaf in my yard this year.

11 hours ago, ekill08x said:

but hes also left a lot to be desired in terms of being able to break tackles and pickup tougher yards. He runs a little soft.

Aside from a poor OL and even poorer play calling and no threat from the passing game, he is coming off a severe injury.  It usually takes a season to get comfortable.  

9 hours ago, drew39k said:

He played three drives, attempted just 1 fewer passes than Wilson while completing that same number of passes, but throwing for 50 fewer yards despite playing against prevent D.  He ate a ten yard sack, threw a pick and almost had a second ball picked... FFS. 

If y'all want to trash a QB because he is terrible, that's fine but be consistent. Nothing Boyle did looked better than what Zach did. Boyles entire claim to fame is being Rodgers bff. He was bad in college, he was bad on the lions, he was bad in Green Bay and he was bad last night.

TF you ranting about? That’s what you got from my post? Tim Boyle praise because I said he was decisive? Siemian should be playing, we shouldn’t even be wasting a game on Boyle.

If it was up to me, Boyle wouldn’t have been on the roster, and Zach Wilson would have been QB3. 

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

TF you ranting about? That’s what you got from my post? Tim Boyle praise because I said he was decisive? Siemian should be playing, we shouldn’t even be wasting a game on Boyle.

If it was up to me, Boyle wouldn’t have been on the roster, and Zach Wilson would have been QB3. 

Honestly, I missed the word IF. 

"...but IF he can at least read the defense and do a better job with the blitz the offense should look a little better."

I read it as you saying he can and will do those things better. With my current frustration level with this team and fan base, it instantly got me going.  I've seen it too many times where teams fall in love with the backup (like mike white) and bathe them in praise while completely ignoring all the same issues that were supposedly deal breakers with the starter.

5 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

To be fair, word is he's a great guy to have in the film room which is definitely worth it as QB3 when you're trying to make your QB2 workout when your QB1 retires. I don't think anyone expected him to start a game this year.

If Siemian is better than Boyle, he will get his shot. But Boyle knows the offense better than the other options. And, hopefully Hackett will now realize that the QB is limited so RUN the damn ball early and often. Hackett used a lot of formations with both Jones and Dillon in GB. DO THAT with Hall and Cook! Dumb it down and try to eek out a victory. The defense will not be able to dominate Miami. So we will need points. More importantly, we will need to kill the clock a lot, convert third downs AND most importantly win the turnover battle. 

I have more faith in Boyle and Siemian at this point. It has been THREE years now. If No. 2 had anything, it would have bubbled to the surface by now. Instead, he is still making rookie mistakes and we have no time for that anymore. It was a horrendous decision to draft him; an even worse decision to keep him as the backup this season, and a complete joke to think he could be Aaron Rodgers' heir apparent. It is time to admit defeat on all three counts and move on.

Try to go 2-2 in the next four, and hopefully No. 8 will return. Run the table at that point and you never know.

We have wasted three (more) seasons trying to develop a crappy quarterback. It is time to admit that and try to manufacture victories with mediocre talent. If anything, the players (especially the key defensive stalwarts and Garrett Wilson) should have added juice this Friday. I cannot imagine the level of frustration they have felt this season.

Oh wait, I am a Jets fan. Of course I can.

23 hours ago, xrade said:

You mean keep doing what has not worked in, like, forever?  How about fixing the OL with higher end prospects.  We certainly need a future starting QB but maybe we should get one in rounds 3 or later and try to develop him while learning from Rodgers.

If we do not get a first round OT, we go into the season with who at OT?  We are not getting a quality starting LT or RT in FA.  They usually are not available.  Perhaps an old guy will shake free but isn't that what we have been doing to dismal results?  Maybe Warren can man one the OT spots but we still need another along with a starting LG.

Until this OL is fixed, any QB, RB or WR will not play up to their ability and the OC will not be able to develop a good game plan.  Fix that first and worry about all the other offensive issues after that.  I really want to watch more than 10 minutes of a Jets game next year.  On the positive side, their is not one leaf in my yard this year.

I'm with you 100% on a starting OT, and this draft is deep this year with OT and quality at that. So if the Jets drafted a OT OR TWO it wouldn't bother me. All I'm saying is they don't have a future a QB. If AR comes back next year and gets injured like he did this year, its a 41 yr. old QB on your team who hasn't played in 2 seasons and the Jets with no a single prospect of a QB on the roster.

If a guy like Penix is available when the Jets draft, I'm all in, trade future picks, DL players which they have a ton of and grab an OT OR TWO. 

As of right now, the Jets have 3 backup QB's on the team and the one starting at Miami shouldn't even be in the league. 

On 11/21/2023 at 7:56 AM, xrade said:

The whole idea of it is for the rookie to sit behind Rodgers for a year. When was the last time the Jets did that?

I get it, the offensive line is awful. So is Jax, CIN (dead last and healthy) NYG and other teams, we aren’t the only ones in this situation. And they are all better than us offensively. If you have coaches and players worth their salt, they figure it out. We unfortunately do not. 

If there isn’t a high end QB there or we aren’t in position, then 100% OT. But this team isn’t coming close to winning a SB with Rodgers, time to think about the future. Everyone will be gone in 2025 most likely, so it probably won’t happen anyway.

3 hours ago, Big T said:

If a guy like Penix is available when the Jets draft, I'm all in, trade future picks, DL players which they have a ton of and grab an OT OR TWO. 

I'd love for nothing more than to grab a future starting QB and, this is the important part, have him sit for a year or two.  But let's look at reality.

Our 2024 starting OL as of right now is:  Warren, Tomlinson, Tippmann, AVT, Mitchell.  Are you comfortable putting a 42 year old QB behind that line?  Or any QB for that matter?  I know you are not as you have stated.  Let's look at how to improve that line:

Mitchell sucks so we need new RT, Tomlinson and his $18M cap hit es no bueno, Tippmann and AVT are OK.  Warren - who knows.  At a minimum we need a starting OT and OG.  FA OT?  Who is good that will be available not over 35 y.o. and not put us over the cap?  When all the dust settles, there will be very few options.  We need to draft a starting OT.  Since we do not have a SRP, it is either draft one in the first or third.  Do you want to draft a starting OT in round three and expect him to be better than what we have?  Not me.  I'd rather go for one of the top OT prospects and since we will be picking top 10 most likely, we could be in range for any of them.  As for OG, they are easier to find in FA.  So:  rookie FRP LT,good FA LG, Tip, AVT, Warren sounds much better to me.  Hell, maybe if we are picking high enough we can trade down a few spots to recoup a SRP and still get a top OT.  

As for QB, yes we need a future starter.  But to draft a FRP QB in 2024 at the expense of going all in to fix the OL that has been an issue forever, is just more of the same.  Wash-rinse-repeat.  AR will get hurt, the rookie backup comes in and gets David Carr syndrome and we once again will be picking top 10 in 2025.  If JD is still GM next year, I can almost guarantee he will not go QB in round 1 at the expense of OL.  His *** is on the line, he needs to win now.

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

The whole idea of it is for the rookie to sit behind Rodgers for a year. When was the last time the Jets did that?

I get it, the offensive line is awful. So is Jax, CIN (dead last and healthy) NYG and other teams, we aren’t the only ones in this situation. And they are all better than us offensively. If you have coaches and players worth their salt, they figure it out. We unfortunately do not. 

If there isn’t a high end QB there or we aren’t in position, then 100% OT. But this team isn’t coming close to winning a SB with Rodgers, time to think about the future. Everyone will be gone in 2025 most likely, so it probably won’t happen anyway.

I hear you but ask yourself if you honestly think that if AR was playing, would the O be a whole lot better.  Rodgers has only ever played behind decent OL's in GB.  What will he do behind the Jets OL?  Aside from only playing 4 snaps that is.  The second point is that we should draft a developmental QB in 2024.  Does it really have to be in round 1.  Do you trust anyone in the FO to get it right?  As of today, 13 starting QB's were NOT FRP's.  They may not all be great but they are good enough to start for their respective teams.  Unless we can bring in the ghost of Weeb Ewbank to draft our QB, maybe we should hold drafting one in round 1 next year a fix the damn OL so even a rookie QB (if he had to play) won't get crushed.

3 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

I think we need to execute on this strategy but not with a FRP, that's where our 3rd should be spent on someone like Beck or McCarthy. We really need to upgrade at both OT and WR, it's going to be hard to fix both those spots with limited cap space and no 2nd rounder.

I'm firmly in the camp of building the structure of the team first and inserting the QB at the end of the process.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xrade said:

I hear you but ask yourself if you honestly think that if AR was playing, would the O be a whole lot better.  Rodgers has only ever played behind decent OL's in GB.  What will he do behind the Jets OL?  Aside from only playing 4 snaps that is.  The second point is that we should draft a developmental QB in 2024.  Does it really have to be in round 1.  Do you trust anyone in the FO to get it right?  As of today, 13 starting QB's were NOT FRP's.  They may not all be great but they are good enough to start for their respective teams.  Unless we can bring in the ghost of Weeb Ewbank to draft our QB, maybe we should hold drafting one in round 1 next year a fix the damn OL so even a rookie QB (if he had to play) won't get crushed.

Yeah, the negative side to this I don’t trust Douglas to pick a QB and I don’t want that QB anywhere near Hackett. So it definitely has its cons. I just feel like if one of the top guys falls to us we should pull the trigger, but not opposed to using a later pick on a QB to develop. Depends on our draft position honestly.