Who do you want to be our starting QB next season?

NYRaider

Starting QB  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Starting QB

• AOC
    • Jimmy G
    • Free Agent (Comment who)
    • Draft Pick (Comment who)
    • Acquired via Trade (Comment who)

12 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Give me Justin Fields for a 3rd. He has a lot of upside and contrary to what people think he has the tools to be an effective passer to complement his athleticism. I don’t see a huge gap between him and Jalen Hurts if he’s put in the right situation. 

I sort of agree that Fields in the right situation can put up an MVP-caliber season, but I don't think he has the goods to be a competent starter year-in, year-out. He's like the Miles Sanders of QBs. Should be good, but he doesn't have the built-in mentality to be good.

3rd round pick is the right price for him. But, I don't think the Raiders are the right fit for him. I could see him in Seattle.

13 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Give me Justin Fields for a 3rd. He has a lot of upside and contrary to what people think he has the tools to be an effective passer to complement his athleticism. I don’t see a huge gap between him and Jalen Hurts if he’s put in the right situation. 

It’s gonna take a 1st or 2nd to get Fields. There’s gonna be a bidding war and secondly his contract is still under rookie control for another 2 seasons

9 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

It’s gonna take a 1st or 2nd to get Fields. There’s gonna be a bidding war and secondly his contract is still under rookie control for another 2 seasons

I'd bet my mothers health he doesn't go for anything over a 3rd. Probably a mid rounder is more likely. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I'd bet my mothers health he doesn't go for anything over a 3rd. Probably a mid rounder is more likely. 

I lost my mother to cancer 20 months ago so I wouldn’t wish that upon anyone for any wager

Theres a lot teams who need QBs. There’s gonna be a team that will overpay for him

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

With Williams we'd have the problem solved until we lose a couple of games and he cracks and takes a random hiatus to chill with his dog. Dude doesn't have the makeup to carry a franchise. Fool's gold. 

As a Carr supporter I'm shocked you care about a player crying and checking out on his team as Carr did that for a decade here.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

As a Carr supporter I'm shocked you care about a player crying and checking out on his team as Carr did that for a decade here.

Am I? I don't bring him up. He's not our QB anymore.

Now, you, BayRaider/Tank4Drake, and others bring up the Saints QB incessantly which I find odd as he has absolutely nothing to do with us amd hasn't for nearly a year. For all the "Carr supporter" nonsense you like to throw around, all anyone has really said since then was that Zeigler and McDaniels botched the situation- which would be true whether the name of the QB was Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo, Jarrett Stidham, Tony the Tiger, Barney Fife, or Jesus Christ, meaning it has nothing to do with loving or hating Carr.

Bad business is bad business. Giving an embattled QB a NTC was bad business. Benching him in a lost season prior to trying to trade him was bad business. Cutting him and thus letting him walk for nothing was bad business that was doubled down on by giving Jimmy Garoppolo a boatload of money to stink up the joint and having no succession plan in place. 

One doesn't have to even like Derek Carr as a person to recognize that the business transactions around him were amateurish and damaging. And that, by and large, was all any of these so-called "Carrdashians" said about it from the time he was benched onward. Nobody was saying we should  bring him back, nobody was saying we even miss him. 

But.....there is a large and relatively outspoken sect of this forum that defended Josh and Jimmy come hell or high water that defended those moves as genius moves that were good for the franchise and showed Josh McDaniels as a capable HC. Funnily, it's that group that constantly reverts to talking about some other team's QB. 

Man, being so wrong about Josh and Dave and Jimmy really sapped some of you guys' ability to function with any sense of rationale, logic, or reason. So desperate to be "right" you'll literally try and change facts. It's depressing, like watching a tweaker detox. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You gave him a pass for crying and quitting on our team every year but make up stories to justify your terrible take on Caleb

He never shirked talking to the media. Huge difference. 

Also, do tell. Please provide a citation to exactly what I've "made up" about Caleb. Don't pull this BP nonsense of random accusations without merit. Be a man and back up what you say, brother in Christ. 

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

With Williams we'd have the problem solved until we lose a couple of games and he cracks and takes a random hiatus to chill with his dog. Dude doesn't have the makeup to carry a franchise. Fool's gold. 

The dude gives me slighty-better-than-Ryan-Leaf-in-the-pros vibe (though I don't necessarily fault athletes for showing emotion, they're human just like everyone else). He finally faced a good defense in Notre Dame and simply collapsed. No way would I trade up for him. Maye didn't have a great season either, but I'd be willing to trade up for him provided he shows out at the Combine and interviews/tests well.

\

Also, do tell. Please provide a citation to exactly what I've "made up" about Caleb. Don't pull this BP nonsense of random accusations without merit. Be a man and back up what you say, brother in Christ. 

At least tag me if you're going to take shots. 

Speaking of "be a man", we are all still waiting on you to ask that question you say I never answered, but can't be bothered to ask and keep telling me to dig through 10,000 posts to find it.

If you asked a question I didn't answer. And I'm offering to answer, why are you so again asking it? Be a man! 

1 hour ago, RaidersForever said:

The dude gives me slighty-better-than-Ryan-Leaf-in-the-pros vibe (though I don't necessarily fault athletes for showing emotion, they're human just like everyone else). He finally faced a good defense in Notre Dame and simply collapsed. No way would I trade up for him. Maye didn't have a great season either, but I'd be willing to trade up for him provided he shows out at the Combine and interviews/tests well.

I think Williams will be fine initially. Might be dependent on where he is drafted and how that team performs. 

I also want to know his hand size because he fumbled a lot in his career which is not talked about enough. 

12 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

\

At least tag me if you're going to take shots. 

Speaking of "be a man", we are all still waiting on you to ask that question you say I never answered, but can't be bothered to ask and keep telling me to dig through 10,000 posts to find it.

If you asked a question I didn't answer. And I'm offering to answer, why are you so again asking it? Be a man! 

No sh*t. You ducked them all for ages behind hyperbole and platitudes. You took time to do that, you can take the time to go back and find the questions. 

And, hey, I could've been talking about the oil company and their penchant for bs lawsuits. Glad to know you so readily associate "bs" with what comes from yourself. 

3 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

No sh*t. You ducked them all for ages behind hyperbole and platitudes. You took time to do that, you can take the time to go back and find the questions. 

And, hey, I could've been talking about the oil company and their penchant for bs lawsuits. Glad to know you so readily associate "bs" with what comes from yourself. 

Only I didn't, and you know that which is why you won't ask because I will prove it to you. And we're all aware of that fact mind you.

And, hey, I know I'm the only BP you think of because I've live in your head rent free. Want proof? I haven't interacted with you in weeks but you've taken shots at me twice today without tagging me.  Telling others to "be a man" but sheepishly taking shots without the courtesy of tagging them is so on brand for you.

Carr never shirked talking to the media?

63726074951bdc00182ded69?width=700

1 hour ago, RaidersForever said:

@big_palooka does bring up a valid observation about his fumbling issues. 

I wouldn't give him a Ryan Leaf comp in that regard. Like, I don't think he's going to grow a crack habit or something. But his talent level is definitely overshadowed by the manufactured hype surrounding him. 

Like you said, against good defenses, he largely just collapsed. Everyone pins the losses on the defense- which, hey, fair enough. USC had a trash D and a QB throwing 400 yds and 3, 4, 5 TDs can't be blamed for those losses. 

The problem is, as you alluded to, Williams wasn't throwing 400 yds and multiple TDs against the top competition on a regular basis. 

USC having a bad D has nothing to do with Williams going:

14/25 219, 1-0 vs Arizona in a game they nearly lost. Now, credit to him, he had 3 rushing TDs, but Arizona's coverage gave him fits. 

23/37 198, 1-3 vs Notre Dame. Oof. 

24/34 256, 0-0 vs Utah

19/34, 291 1-0 vs Oregon

31/42, 384, 1-1 vs UCLA. 

Now, credit to Williams, he balled out vs Washington and they should have won that game. In that game, his D let him down, no question. 

But the 5 games listed? 5 games is almost half a season of college ball. That's half a season where he simply didn't show up as a passer and didn't rise to the occasion where one would expect a Heisman winning 1st overall pick caliber QB to do so. 

In nearly half a season, he accounted for 4 passing TDs and 4 INTs, while 1/5 of his passing TDs came in 1 game (Colorado w/ 6/30. Heck, HALF of his TDs came vs SJSU, Nevada, and Colorado alone and Nevada and Colorado were absolutely abysmal. 

Williams' consistency and ability to produce against upper level talent is genuinely questionable. I think it's fair to ask whether you're getting 2022 or 2023 Williams in the draft. On the merits of 2023 alone, Caleb Williams would be a nobody and a day 2 pick at best. 

The competition is going to get harder, and his ability to handle adversity is also genuinely a concern. He doesn't just show emotion, he pouts and runs off. 

And for me, it's not even a preference for Maye. He doesn't impress me much either and feels like that "other" QB people flocked to for the sake of having one. McCarthy, Nix, Penix, and Daniels all did way more to impress me than either Maye or Williams. If anything, this class strikes me as the type where the patient team that avoids the "big 2" will wind up with the best QB in the class at QB3, 4, 5. 

• Like 2