Who do you want to be our starting QB next season?

NYRaider

Starting QB  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Starting QB

• AOC
    • Jimmy G
    • Free Agent (Comment who)
    • Draft Pick (Comment who)
    • Acquired via Trade (Comment who)

I'm assuming we're stuck with Jimmy G on the roster for at least next year, so bringing in a vet presence isn't necessary. 

Depends on our HC/OC. 

It sucks, because we have Jimmy and Aiden, one is a corpse, the other a statue. Almost no matter who we pick, there's nothing that pick is going to learn from our rostered QBs game-wise. 

To answer, give me McCarthy or Penix for now- they strike me as the some of the better QBs in structure/pocket that might actually get something out of who we already have. But I'm not super beholden to any single guy. 

It sucks not knowing what our offensive identity is meant to be going forward yet though. 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 4:31 PM, NYRaider said:

Who do you want to be our starting QB, the most realistic options seem to be:

On Roster

Jimmy Garoppolo

Aidan O'Connell

Free Agents

Kirk Cousins

Baker Mayfield

Josh Dobbs

Ryan Tannehill

Jameis Winston

Gardner Minshew

Draft

Caleb Williams

Drake Maye

JJ McCarthy

Jayden Daniels

Michael Penix Jr

Bo Nix

Trade

Justin Fields

Kyler Murray

Oof goodness there’s some pretty dodgy guys there.

I’m fine with bringing in guys like Tannehill or Fields to compete for a backup role but if they’re starting you’re in trouble. With AOC already here then only really a rookie or Cousins seems like a decent upgrade to me. Wouldn’t touch Murray as I simply don’t like him nor his attitude. Anathema to the ‘New Raiders’ embodied by Maxx Crosby.

I’d almost certainly try and trade up for one of the top prospects. All the rest outside of Cousins seem like very average bridge guys similar to Garoppolo (or what he was supposed to be).

I’d have to look into the draft QBs more before giving a definitive answer to which one honestly. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Almost no matter who we pick, there's nothing that pick is going to learn from our rostered QBs game-wise.

Jimmy G learned under the greatest of all time for years and was with another offensive GOAT in Shanahan, I'm sure he has a lot to offer a young developing QB. Do you think veterans teach QB's by showing them how to play the game? lmfao

40 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Jimmy G learned under the greatest of all time for years and was with another offensive GOAT in Shanahan, I'm sure he has a lot to offer a young developing QB. Do you think veterans teach QB's by showing them how to play the game? lmfao

I agree. Jimmy is reportedly a very good locker room presence and has no issues being a backup

That said, we will be able to trade him in the offseason. The backup QB market in the NFL is dire. Jimmy still has lots of value as he still is more competent than some of the dreck is across the league as backups. Joe Flacco , Mullins and Tim Boyle are about to get some starts

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

No. 

Do you still think your Jimmydoodle is a dawg? Or have you flip flopped on that, too,  as with everything else? Not lmfao. 

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Bust rate is huge no matter where you pick…….. initially surprising to me honestly, but when I think about it, seems about right.

It highlights the importance of going QB early, in the top 10 you have a 29% chance of drafting a franchise guy, 8% chance of drafting a good QB, and an 8% chance of drafting an average QB. So it's essentially a 50-50 shot you'll land an average/good/franchise level guy vs a bust. 

Drafting a QB outside of the top 10 you have a 4% chance of hitting on a franchise guy, an 0.009% chance of drafting a good QB, a 6% chance of drafting an average QB, and a 90% chance of drafting a guy that never pans out.

• Like 1