Week 15 - Bears @ Browns GDT

HuskieBear

Just now, dll2000 said:

Unless they come up with one of their wacky game plans where they never stunt or blitz and throw only screens for four quarters.  

That's my biggest fear for this game:

-Missing that #2 rusher in Ngakoue makes Flus conservative, thinking the DBs have done well so he can only send four all the time against a statue, and if that doesn't work in the first half just trying it again the second

-Using the Vikings game 1 plan of the only defense against blitzes and pressure being the screen, when they've had good results against great pass rushers with moving the pocket and getting TE help instead. *

*That said, I think the Bears have some other plays built off of the screen look, so wouldn't be crazy to do a couple early and then call other plays that look similar presnap.  Not sure they have it in them to call that or execute it, but would be interesting.  I still find it hard to imagine 13 screens that look like screens and act like screens was really the plan there, but perhaps I am giving too much credit. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

That's my biggest fear for this game:

-Missing that #2 rusher in Ngakoue makes Flus conservative, thinking the DBs have done well so he can only send four all the time against a statue, and if that doesn't work in the first half just trying it again the second

-Using the Vikings game 1 plan of the only defense against blitzes and pressure being the screen, when they've had good results against great pass rushers with moving the pocket and getting TE help instead. *

*That said, I think the Bears have some other plays built off of the screen look, so wouldn't be crazy to do a couple early and then call other plays that look similar presnap.  Not sure they have it in them to call that or execute it, but would be interesting.  I still find it hard to imagine 13 screens that look like screens and act like screens was really the plan there, but perhaps I am giving too much credit. 

I know that you know that I am going to throw a screen here.  But I also know that you know that. Therefore I am going to throw a screen here.

(Doesn’t work)

Inconceivable! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I know that you know that I am going to throw a screen here.  But I also know that you know that. Therefore I am going to throw a screen here.

(Doesn’t work)

Inconceivable! 

THAT'S honestly what I feel like these coaches do sometimes. Never sure if it's a look they get but a couple times a game there's a play so insane that I'm left wondering if the thought was "they know we'd be stupid to do that, so they'll never see it coming!"

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

THAT'S honestly what I feel like these coaches do sometimes. Never sure if it's a look they get but a couple times a game there's a play so insane that I'm left wondering if the thought was "they know we'd be stupid to do that, so they'll never see it coming!"

We'll fake left. No! We'll fake faking left!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

The thing is a screen is essentially a trick play.  It only really works if it is a surprise.

If the pass rush recognizes screen or DBs know and come up too fast it's chances of success are extremely slim.   The DL just finds the RB or TE instead of QB or the DBs just attack down hill on a WR or whoever.  

It's a catch you off guard play.   Not an all the time blitz or pressure beater.   LOL.  I am not sure Getsy knows that sometimes.

50 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

The thing is a screen is essentially a trick play.  It only really works if it is a surprise.

If the pass rush recognizes screen or DBs know and come up too fast it's chances of success are extremely slim.   The DL just finds the RB or TE instead of QB or the DBs just attack down hill on a WR or whoever.  

It's a catch you off guard play.   Not an all the time blitz or pressure beater.   LOL.  I am not sure Getsy knows that sometimes.

But what if you run it over and over?  Isn't that a form of catching them off guard? Yeah I think we're barking up the same tree here. I just think it would be cool if they had something that got the defense to bite on it being a screen and then...wasn't. 

It's an improvement off of their first Vikings game plan which was:  step 1 leave an unblocked guy on a slow developing play where the defense is showing blitz 2 hope they were kidding. 

13 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

I just think it would be cool if they had something that got the defense to bite on it being a screen and then...wasn't. 

This exact thing is what makes McVey and Shanahan so successful. Their offenses runs a crap ton of different plays that look exactly the same pre-snap. That's how it’s supposed to work - it effectively eliminates a lot of what you can learn from film study. For the Bears offense it’s, “They’re doing this formation and personnel wise, so the play is almost surely that.” For the Rams or 49ers offenses, it’s “They’re doing this formation and personnel wise, so it might be any of these 8 different things.” 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Anyone else find it a bit strange after the last 2 years to be proper looking forward to getting to Sunday for a Bears game a few days out? 😂

Yes, it's been a very very strange season and that's considering how weird this team always is.  I bet every team feels like that, but it would be odd at this point to have the same kind of season over and over again, like the Dalton Bengals or something. 

If this team was some kind of options exchange,  I don't think it could be higher than before the GB game, immediately followed by the kind of crash that has brokers jumping out of windows, followed by some kind of grim optimism when the high pick and new staff seemed likely, and now somehow we're all thinking playoffs under our breath. Weird. 

• Like 2

The Bears can win this game.

1. The Bears' Defense needs to dominate and shut down the Browns' offense.  Never underestimate the opponent, even with those injuries.  A shut down 0 point is the goal.  Keep giving JF1 the ball and make the Browns' defense plays 80% of the game lolz🤣

2. JF1 short passing needs to be very very good, test the Browns' run defense, take the 1st down first--move the ball!  Take some shots downfield if time allows and make some big plays.  Do Not Turn the ball over.  0 turnover is the goal for the Bears' offense.

If Brisker doesn't play that hurts.  He always seems to go down when he is heating up.   It already hurts with losing Yannick for season.

I watched the Jacksonville game and their defense is not playing at level of Bears defense of recent games.   Our front 7 is playing a lot better than Jacksonville's did of late.  Lets hope they can bring that same energy to Cleveland.  Our LB core has really stepped up its game and is now showing that investment.  Or more specifically Edmunds has.  Funny when I back watched him in Buffalo after Bears acquired him he played much better in 2nd half of seasons than first their too.   Not sure if that is a thing with him.

Sanborn and Edwards have been pretty solid all year.   I think Poles underestimated how good Sanborn is when he went on LB spending spree.  Everyone can be biased when a guy is picked low.  If you go back and look at Brady's first full season probably a lot of people doubted him too.   It is hard to shake the idea that a guy can't really be that good if he was drafted low or an UDFA.

People are really singing Flacco's praises.  And he deserves credit.  He has played pretty well.  He is a vet QB who gets ball out on time and has a good arm.   He was real comfortable though against Jacksonville.    If Bears can't get to him he will make plays.  But honestly if you keep virtually any NFL QB clean and comfortable he will make you pay.

Key will be offensive game plan.   We need to bring a power run game and play action game off that.  Cleveland is hurting for depth.   I think you can gas them if you are getting first downs.  I'd even run some hurry up and no huddle.   Keep their DL on field.  Don't let them sub.  Do the Rodgers thing and quick snap when they try. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JibjeResearch said:

The Bears can win this game.

1. The Bears' Defense needs to dominate and shut down the Browns' offense.  Never underestimate the opponent, even with those injuries.  A shut down 0 point is the goal.  Keep giving JF1 the ball and make the Browns' defense plays 80% of the game lolz🤣

2. JF1 short passing needs to be very very good, test the Browns' run defense, take the 1st down first--move the ball!  Take some shots downfield if time allows and make some big plays.  Do Not Turn the ball over.  0 turnover is the goal for the Bears' offense.

If the Bears dominate the Browns offense & the Bears pass the ball really well, they'll win? You don't say

12 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Anyone else find it a bit strange after the last 2 years to be proper looking forward to getting to Sunday for a Bears game a few days out? 😂

YES!!! Dude last week's game was the most fun I've had watching a Bears game in quite some time (maybe 2018?)

I can't ******* wait for Sunday to get here 🐻⬇️

• Like 4