Week 15 - Bears @ Browns GDT

HuskieBear

On 12/18/2023 at 10:50 AM, topwop1 said:

I trust that a new head coach with solid connections would be able to hire a competent DC that wouldn't miss a beat with these same players on D

This is where I’m at with Flus too. The defense has improved under him calling the plays, but it didn’t until Poles got him Sweat to drive the pass rush. It’s not like a defense with a top tier pass rusher, two top tier LBs, a pro bowl corner and 2 other solid corners (and which will almost certainly have more to work with in 2024) can only thrive under his tutelage.

What does Flus really have to argue that he’s been good at his job beyond his successfully filling in for a position below that for which he was hired (necessitated only by his own bad hire for that particular role in the first place)? Some will say that they’re still playing hard for him, but I typically put the “guys are still trying hard in a lost season” on the character of the guys in pads and the leadership amongst those in pads rather than the coaches. Is George Pickens playing during a playoff push with late career James Harden effort right now because after almost 20 years Mike Tomlin is all of a sudden a subpar leader, or because the supposed offensive leader on the team is an underwhelming 2nd year QB (Pickett, their only offensive captain) and the leader in the WR room is a notoriously whiny player (Diontae Johnson)? Players hold players accountable first and foremost. Jordan was the one who kept everyone at the top of their game, not Phil Jackson. Say what you want about Cutler, but I always remember this from his first TC here. This stuff resonates with guys.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/jay-cutler-not-a-nice-guy/2092483/?amp=1

IMG-3796.jpg

8 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

This is where I’m at with Flus too. The defense has improved under him calling the plays, but it didn’t until Poles got him Sweat to drive the pass rush. It’s not like a defense with a top tier pass rusher, two top tier LBs, a pro bowl corner and 2 other solid corners (and which will almost certainly have more to work with in 2024) can only thrive under his tutelage.

What does Flus really have to argue that he’s been good at his job beyond his successfully filling in for a position below that for which he was hired (necessitated only by his own bad hire for that particular role in the first place)? Some will say that they’re still playing hard for him, but I typically put the “guys are still trying hard in a lost season” on the character of the guys in pads and the leadership amongst those in pads rather than the coaches. Is George Pickens playing during a playoff push with late career James Harden effort right now because after almost 20 years Mike Tomlin is all of a sudden a subpar leader, or because the supposed offensive leader on the team is an underwhelming 2nd year QB (Pickett, their only offensive captain) and the leader in the WR room is a notoriously whiny player (Diontae Johnson)? Players hold players accountable first and foremost. Jordan was the one who kept everyone at the top of their game, not Phil Jackson. Say what you want about Cutler, but I always remember this from his first TC here. This stuff resonates with guys.

IMG-3796.jpg

Good lord that Cutler quote really drives home how crummy this team has been offensively, essentially forever.

As for Flus,  he could conceivably improve his record this season to return Abe Gibron to #1 status, so I guess there is that.  Really intriguing to see what George does, and how much Kevin Warren wants to be/appear involved.  We've all got our opinions and predictions but it still seems like anything is possible this offseason.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 6:49 AM, AZBearsFan said:

IMG-3796.jpg

I more or less agree with your thoughts on Flus, but watching his body language this week, esp in press conferences, I see a coach that has been given some decent assurances that he is not in danger ! 

I don't love it, but Flus is not carrying himself as if he is in any real danger. 

I think Warren and Poles know that Harbaugh ain't happening and view any other available coaching hire as a lateral move uggh. So they're thinking why not keep Flus, keep building this D, bring in a diff maker OC and Getsy is scapegoated

11 hours ago, SLCbear said:

I more or less agree with your thoughts on Flus, but watching his body language this week, esp in press conferences, I see a coach that has been given some decent assurances that he is not in danger ! 

I don't love it, but Flus is not carrying himself as if he is in any real danger. 

I think Warren and Poles know that Harbaugh ain't happening and view any other available coaching hire as a lateral move uggh. So they're thinking why not keep Flus, keep building this D, bring in a diff maker OC and Getsy is scapegoated

The problem with that is that no top OC is going to want the gig with Flus here on a potential lame duck season, regardless of our QB situation. We’ll end up with either a retread of a guy who already lost his job elsewhere or a first timer similar in resume to Getsy. Neither of those should be a realistic option for Poles IMO. 

8 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

The problem with that is that no top OC is going to want the gig with Flus here on a potential lame duck season, regardless of our QB situation. We’ll end up with either a retread of a guy who already lost his job elsewhere or a first timer similar in resume to Getsy. Neither of those should be a realistic option for Poles IMO. 

I agree, but Flus looks to be staying and Getsy gonzo  

2 hours ago, SLCbear said:

I agree, but Flus looks to be staying and Getsy gonzo  

If that’s the case and Fields is retained then a guy like Greg Roman who’s built an offense around a guy with Fields’ skill set previously with a lot of success would make a ton of sense. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

People aren’t regularly turning down Coordinator spots unless they are already a coordinator, or fee like they are on the verge of taking over where they currently are.

A known commodity in the OC position is exactly what we need.  Not taking a big swing on a young name right now. And those guys are all looking to prove that they still have it

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

If that’s the case and Fields is retained then a guy like Greg Roman who’s built an offense around a guy with Fields’ skill set previously with a lot of success would make a ton of sense. 

Unless the team quits on him or falls flat on their face these final three weeks, Eberflus will be back. BUT, if the plan is to move on from Justin Fields, all bets are off. 

I personally believe we will win 2 of the 3 remaining games and end the season 7-10. Ostensibly we should have finished 10-7 but you are what your record says you are. 

Defense is playing elite football, they just need to figure out what they are doing on offense. I can't imagine you bring back Getsy and friends.