Week 16: Packers @ Panthers - GB wins 33-30! Joe Barry defense saved by the clock!

FAH1223

52 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

A couple weeks ago he was praising Wink Martindale pretty heavily as well.  I think he's seeing how much better all of these other DC's are compared to Barry.  Ironically both Wink and Ejiro may soon be available.

Definitely a lot of candidates will become available after Black Monday. I’m not sure what level of openness coach is sharing with Barry about moving on but the writing is on the wall. There are certainly some scouting conversations going on for defenses around the league. Three games and maybe another and we will be working on the list and checking it twice for interviews. 

Edited by Refugee

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I am against anything happening that could possibly give MLF the idea he could retain Barry. Including making the playoffs. This team never reaches its potential with Barry around. 

I'm pretty sure if we made the playoffs and got 35 or more points hung on us while going one and done, Barry out the door would be the first mandate from Mark Murphy.

In fact, it would probably actually seal Barry's fate that way more so than going 9-8, allowing fewer points in these last few games (which is very likely against the Panthers and Bears), but not making the playoffs.

Get in as the 7th seed and face SF, DAL or PHI and Barry would be exposed and be the first casualty.

3 minutes ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

I'm pretty sure if we made the playoffs and got 35 or more points hung on us while going one and done, Barry out the door would be the first mandate from Mark Murphy.

In fact, it would probably actually seal Barry's fate that way more so than going 9-8, allowing fewer points in these last few games (which is very likely against the Panthers and Bears), but not making the playoffs.

Get in as the 7th seed and face SF, DAL or PHI and Barry would be exposed and be the first casualty.

Almost the ideal season ending scenario.  The young team gets a taste of the playoffs, but the defense falls on it's face again solidifying in MLF's mind that if they are to take the next step they need to get better on defense.

49 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

When 11 guys are lined up on 1st and 10 set to give the other team an easy 7-8 yards, it's not a communication problem. It's a defensive coordinator problem. Speaking to the last drive in the Giants game and basically the whole Tampa game.

Don't give me this, 'communication problem!' The TD pass Stokes was pissed about is a perfect example of being set up to fail. Single high safety and Stokes is expecting help inside. The problem is the safety is caught in no man's land because he's got another WR on the other side he's supposed to give help to.

Tampa knew exactly what we were going to do all game long, so did the Giants. They were patient and took was there for the taking every down. 

Barry's comments about communication issues shows you how weak he is as a leader. 

mlf was the one who made the comment about communication. he had a specific instance about guys not turning or something i forget what he said. 

there were many instances of Q and campbell being on different pages, not properly passing guys off in the middle, not having the same perception of responsibilities. communication is the solution to that. 

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

If either of you think MLF would be fired after making the playoffs this year, you need to get a grip. There would be ZERO chance of this happening.

Like I said, I'm against anything happening that would give MLF any excuse to bring Barry back. He should have whacked him last week, didn't have the stones to do it. 

You’re missing the point we’re making but I’m not sure it’s worth it to try to make you understand as two weeks ago you were in this thread defending Barry and now you’re in here advocating not making the playoffs because he might be back (yes I know you’re the one who started the thread). 

What we’re saying is it’s best to know as soon as possible if Lafleur is the guy we need him to be. Having the wrong DC is bad, having the wrong HC is worst. 

If Lafleur wants to bring him back after making the playoffs, we’ll know for sure he is not cut from the right cloth. The chances he gets fired before next season, after making the playoffs, are real slim, I agree. But Gute has made difficult choices in the past and I trust him to push Murphy to make the right call and force Lafleur to go with another DC. 

And it’s also worth pointing out that playoffs games would be REAL beneficial for all the youth on this team. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Bcv said:

You’re missing the point we’re making but I’m not sure it’s worth it to try to make you understand as two weeks ago you were in this thread defending Barry and now you’re in here advocating not making the playoffs because he might be back (yes I know you’re the one who started the thread). 

What we’re saying is it’s best to know as soon as possible if Lafleur is the guy we need him to be. Having the wrong DC is bad, having the wrong HC is worst. 

If Lafleur wants to bring him back after making the playoffs, we’ll know for sure he is not cut from the right cloth. The chances he gets fired before next season, after making the playoffs, are real slim, I agree. But Gute has made difficult choices in the past and I trust him to push Murphy to make the right call and force Lafleur to go with another DC. 

And it’s also worth pointing out that playoffs games would be REAL beneficial for all the youth on this team. 

mlf would not get fired no matter what. barry will be.

super simple stuff.

agree playoffs would be beneficial experience for young guys. not to mention we may get to see muskgrave+kraft+watson+reed+jones on the field at once. 

stokes also needs more snaps this season.

Edited by HokieHigh

28 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

mlf would not get fired no matter what. barry will be.

super simple stuff.

agree playoffs would be beneficial experience for young guys. not to mention we may get to see muskgrave+kraft+watson+reed+jones on the field at once. 

stokes also needs more snaps this season.

Nobody is getting fired. Packers fans in this forum act like our defense has been historically bad. The entire team has been a disappointment this year not just the defense.

5 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Nobody is getting fired. Packers fans in this forum act like our defense has been historically bad. The entire team has been a disappointment this year not just the defense.

agreed the offense has not been strong, especially early in the year, but the expectations for the offense were much lower.

st also not good but rich will probably be back. hard to have strong st when your guys are taking so many defensive snaps

13 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

agreed the offense has not been strong, especially early in the year, but the expectations for the offense were much lower.

st also not good but rich will probably be back. hard to have strong st when your guys are taking so many defensive snaps

I think we got the answers we wanted on offense.  Love can play, and the young offensive talent looks to be a hit.  Future looks bright there .. just has to continue to improve and take the next step.

The defense held it's own for a while, but teams are starting to out scheme us, and as usual Barry doesn't have the answers.  Lots of injuries for sure, but that's life in the NFL.  The constant miscommunication on defense is crazy at this stage of the season given how many snaps these players have logged.  Got to make a change at the top there.  

Bisaccia will get another crack at it, but he's been a disappointment.  I really thought we'd have top units under that guy and it hasn't come to fruition.  Injuries and backups being forced into full time duty have affected things, but it's hard not to be disappointed.

1 minute ago, Brat&Beer said:
Game designations for the Packers: OUT: Campbell, Savage, Musgrave DOUBTFUL: Watson, Em. Wilson, Tenuta QUESTIONABLE: Alexander, Dillon, Reed, Wicks, Ford, Rochell, Slaton. Reed went outside but technically did not practice.

Hopefully they will start ramping up guys like Musgrave and Watson for the Vikings game.  Musgrave actually practiced the last two days, so I would think that's the plan.  Watson still hasn't practiced, but if he can go next week you have to figure they'll try to get him ready for the game.  Alexander might finally be ready to go this week .. that would be helpful.  

28 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

The offense and defense have both been incredibly average. I don't understand how people can demand Joe Barry be fired while in the same breath give the offense every excuse under the sun because they are "young". The defense is just as inexperienced as the offense.