Week 16: San Francisco 49ers vs Baltimore Ravens

J-ALL-DAY

Since we were not going to implement the same gameplan that we had against the Eagles, it actually made NO sense not to blitz more than we did. The times we got Jackson off his spots and made him miss is when we brought the extra rusher. Warner in particular had a lot of success blitzing. We desperately need Armstead in these types of games since he plays disciplined and will force Jackson to move right into our edge rushers by collapsing the pocket. Chase Young had at least three or four good pressures and yet the team was playing Ferrell just as many snaps, if not more. It needs to STOP ASAP. So stupid. Ferrell is no threat rushing the passer and he loses the edge just like the rest of them so what is his purpose on being on the field? Should have ran more stunts and had our DTs bull rush the Ravens tackles to make it harder for Jackson to get to the outside. I don't blame our coverage on the back end because it is only so much they can do when Jackson is having 4-5 seconds to throw every single time. 

The Ravens got two tipped ball INTs while we had three or four tips and got nothing out of them. They took advantage of their opportunities like they usually do and dominated the game. That's all there is to it. We will need to play a clean game the next time if we see them if we are to have a chance to win. And I think we can do that. Kyle probably now realizes that in the next match up, he will need to feature Aiyuk and get him 10+ targets. There's nothing the Ravens can do about Aiyuk. If they are going to run as much zone as they did, then Kittle will have his opportunities in the middle of the field as well. Not sure we can do anything about our pass protection but again, it's been bad all season and Purdy has been able to overcome it. 

Time to go on a five game win streak and close this thing out with a SB! 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Since we were not going to implement the same gameplan that we had against the Eagles, it actually made NO sense not to blitz more than we did. The times we got Jackson off his spots and made him miss is when we brought the extra rusher. Warner in particular had a lot of success blitzing. We desperately need Armstead in these types of games since he plays disciplined and will force Jackson to move right into our edge rushers by collapsing the pocket. Chase Young had at least three or four good pressures and yet the team was playing Ferrell just as many snaps, if not more. It needs to STOP ASAP. So stupid. Ferrell is no threat rushing the passer and he loses the edge just like the rest of them so what is his purpose on being on the field? Should have ran more stunts and had our DTs bull rush the Ravens tackles to make it harder for Jackson to get to the outside. I don't blame our coverage on the back end because it is only so much they can do when Jackson is having 4-5 seconds to throw every single time. 

The Ravens got two tipped ball INTs while we had three or four tips and got nothing out of them. They took advantage of their opportunities like they usually do and dominated the game. That's all there is to it. We will need to play a clean game the next time if we see them if we are to have a chance to win. And I think we can do that. Kyle probably now realizes that in the next match up, he will need to feature Aiyuk and get him 10+ targets. There's nothing the Ravens can do about Aiyuk. If they are going to run as much zone as they did, then Kittle will have his opportunities in the middle of the field as well. Not sure we can do anything about our pass protection but again, it's been bad all season and Purdy has been able to overcome it. 

Time to go on a five game win streak and close this thing out with a SB! 

Yea, I don't understand the infatuation with starting & playing Ferrell like they have been.

Young has been here long enough now and he's clearly the better player, down-to-down.

I get wanting to keep guys fresh and what not but in no world should their snap counts be anywhere close to even.

Young needs to be on the field as much as Bosa. He needs those reps, especially against the run, so we can have our fits/timing right for the playoffs, where he should be on the field a majority of the time.

And I don't like them sticking Verrett in there over Womack.

Verrett should be insurance in case anything happens to Mooney, D-Mo or Thomas. 

But the young guys like Luter & Womack should be getting the call on gamedays for the time being.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Yea, I don't understand the infatuation with starting & playing Ferrell like they have been.

Young has been here long enough now and he's clearly the better player, down-to-down.

I get wanting to keep guys fresh and what not but in no world should their snap counts be anywhere close to even.

Young needs to be on the field as much as Bosa. He needs those reps, especially against the run, so we can have our fits/timing right for the playoffs, where he should be on the field a majority of the time.

But the young guys like Luter & Womack should be getting the call on gamedays for the time being.

Not only that, but I want to see Gregory get some rushes from the interior. Playing Kinlaw in this type of game just does no good since he can't collapse the pocket. 

Luter looks really smooth in coverage. Kind of impressed how he had no TC or preseason and he gets inserted in the game and does well.

The Ravens were the much better team on the field and their gameplans on both sides of the ball were flawless. 

55 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I could be wrong, but I believe they start Ferrell on first/second down play for his “setting the edge” ability and then put Chase in on pass rushing downs. 

24 minutes ago, StevenK said:

I could be wrong, but I believe they start Ferrell on first/second down play for his “setting the edge” ability and then put Chase in on pass rushing downs. 

That made sense in the beginning, but that facet of his game has been overblown the past several weeks imo.

And he's still on the field way too much on obvious passing downs. 

That needs to change, ASAP.

Unless Young is hurt, he needs to get the bulk of the snaps as the weakside DE.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

McKivitz was so so so bad lol. Burford was awful but you kind of expect that. 

This is why the team needs leads in the 2nd half to win. We don't have the pass blocking OL to make comebacks in must pass situations. This has always been a weakness for Kyle and he never addresses it. 

• Like 7

Kinda just felt like that everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. Jackson escaped sacks, every tipped pass seemed to turn into a INT, injuries to our starting & backup LT, injury to our starting LG 

Outside of the Brown game our offense has no problem moving the ball downfield at will, but turnovers killed us yesterday just like they did vs the Vikings & Bengals

Games against Washington & LA may be a bit more of a slog than expected but we should still shake this off and end the season 13-4. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

McKivitz was so so so bad lol. Burford was awful but you kind of expect that. 

This is why the team needs leads in the 2nd half to win. We don't have the pass blocking OL to make comebacks in must pass situations. This has always been a weakness for Kyle and he never addresses it. 

I'm going to be so fascinated by what we do in the first round this year. We are likely going to need multiple pieces on the defensive line, but everyone knows what a mess the right side of the line is. McKivitz had started playing better....but even for as bad as he is, I have no idea if he's bad enough to make it a priority to draft someone. The free agent market isn't going to help you at tackle either. 

52 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm going to be so fascinated by what we do in the first round this year. We are likely going to need multiple pieces on the defensive line, but everyone knows what a mess the right side of the line is. McKivitz had started playing better....but even for as bad as he is, I have no idea if he's bad enough to make it a priority to draft someone. The free agent market isn't going to help you at tackle either. 

I think we go OL in the first round and we may be able to bring Young back on a decent deal. Maybe he signs a short-term prove it type of deal. But since he had such a small trade market and he's been injured quite a bit while not producing at an high level, I can't imagine him getting a huge deal. 

Two of the first three picks kind of have to be OL tbh. Then take another corner in between. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

I mean, that's what happens when your behind by multiple scores "early" in the game.

Baltimore is good, give them their flowers but they aren't being +5 in the turnover game every game against us. Maybe +4 if you count the safety as one for us.

Well it was close until the third quarter and they were leaning towards the pass right from the start, which is something I didn't quite understand, given that the Ravens weren't that great against the run recently.

Welp, that Ravens defense was as good as or better than advertised.  Props to them.  They were batting balls all over the place and always in a position to make a play.   They disguise so well.

That said, that was some really undisciplined play by the Niners.  The turnovers and costly penalties at the worst times are recipes for getting your butt spanked.  Kyle has his work cut out for him if we meet the Ravens again.

The loss stings, but we were gifted that cushion.  We still control our own destiny.  I'm just not sure how this offense looks if we have backups playing on that Oline the next two games.  I'd love to see more Aiyuk action, but if the line can't protect for the time needed for those routes to develop, we're going to have to rely on our YAC guys.  Our run game will also be affected quite a bit.  

3 hours ago, Forge said:

They absolutely have to hit OL hard in the draft.. almost every team in the league needs OL help so as you said, FA and trades won't solve the problem.. DL can he found all over the place and take time to develop.. I don't want any top 3 round picks used there in the near future

• Like 1