QB Options 2024

Humble_Beast

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Warner is exactly right and this is why I feel McCarthy will thrive when the time comes. He played in a prostyle offense and played on schedule delivering throws with anticipation.

Everyone is enamored with the stats and splash plays that come from spread offenses they don't look at the details. Daniels for example. He took more sacks when pressured than any QB prospect in the last 5 years.. How can that be? He's the most athletic of the QBs right? Is he slow at processing? Can he get through reads? These are the more important things than the arm and ability to scramble. 

Great post by Warner, agree with your thoughts too.

It’s all projection these days and that is risky. McCarthy and Penix look the most ‘suitable’ to me at present but the more I see of these young QBs the more confused I get 😂

32 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

It’s all projection these days and that is risky. McCarthy and Penix look the most ‘suitable’ to me at present but the more I see of these young QBs the more confused I get 😂

I can’t believe how much hype Bo Nix gets, Pennix sucks under pressure. JJ is such a gamble and projected top 10. Too iffy for me

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I disagree that QB evaluations are harder than they've been in the past. NFL and college offenses have never been more similar. Obviously, NFL offenses are much more complex because there isn't a huge talent gap between teams and NFL defensive schemes are much more complex, but QB evaluations are less projections than they've ever been. For this reason, I would guess that the NFL has only gotten better at evaluating QBs as evidenced by NFL starters being disproportionately represented by first-round picks.

7 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Baker Mayfield. I was right last year about him and never got my flowers. Darnold could be even better than Baker. Darnold wouldn’t be my first choice but I’ll be fine with the pickup. 

Why do attaboys from strangers matter so much to you? That's super weird. 

And as someone pointed out, Baker was mildly successful prior to injury. Darnold has been a complete bust thus far in his career. 

I love when we call a QBs offense gimmicky (I'm guilty of this too) to discredit him. Outside McCarthy running a pro style offense all these QBs are in some version of a spread, air-raid philosophy built on "space and pace" type play calling with the main objective to take advantage of lesser college athletes who can't tackle in space. 

Look beyond the stats.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I love when we call a QBs offense gimmicky (I'm guilty of this too) to discredit him. Outside McCarthy running a pro style offense all these QBs are in some version of a spread, air-raid philosophy built on "space and pace" type play calling with the main objective to take advantage of lesser college athletes who can't tackle in space. 

Look beyond the stats.

I’m surprised nobody has brought up the lack of under center play count on most of these top qbs. 

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Look beyond the stats.

I personally don't think the offense itself was gimmicky but I don't think he showed enough to be drafted top 15 even though I'm pretty sure he will be

14 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Bo “bubble screen” Nix

Like I said, never watched a single Oregon game. Just going off lazy comments based on Oregons offense. 

You actually watch Nix play, he's arguably the best pre and post snap QB in this class. Certainly the most poised and calm. He takes calls from the sidelines, calls audible and changes protection regularly based on what he sees. Most college QBs run the play called and don't have any nuance in protection calls, etc. 

Post snap, he's smart and make quick decisions. Processes quickly and get through his progressions. He's poise in the pocket and can create space to make accurate throws. 

Arm talent is A+ with fluid mechanics. His throwing motion is a teaching tape. He can hit every throw with touch. Excels on back shoulder throws. Throws a beautiful deep ball with accuracy. 

Athletically, he can move. 31 first down runs on 3rd or 4th down the last 2 years (second to Maye). Can improvise, make throws on the run and play off schedule. 

QB4 in this class. He's a steal in round 2, but after the combine he won't make it there is my guess. 

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

In regards to my big 3 of Maye, McCarthy and Nix.... just because a QB was not asked to do something in college, doesn't mean he can't do it. 

What is your order then? I’m guessing Williams is the other of your top 4?