QB Options 2024

Humble_Beast

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Like I said, never watched a single Oregon game. Just going off lazy comments based on Oregons offense. 

You actually watch Nix play, he's arguably the best pre and post snap QB in this class. Certainly the most poised and calm. He takes calls from the sidelines, calls audible and changes protection regularly based on what he sees. Most college QBs run the play called and don't have any nuance in protection calls, etc. 

Post snap, he's smart and make quick decisions. Processes quickly and get through his progressions. He's poise in the pocket and can create space to make accurate throws. 

Arm talent is A+ with fluid mechanics. His throwing motion is a teaching tape. He can hit every throw with touch. Excels on back shoulder throws. Throws a beautiful deep ball with accuracy. 

Athletically, he can move. 31 first down runs on 3rd or 4th down the last 2 years (second to Maye). Can improvise, make throws on the run and play off schedule. 

QB4 in this class. He's a steal in round 2, but after the combine he won't make it there is my guess. 

What did you make of Nix at the senior bowl. I was really excited about seeing him there and he looked like he couldn’t grip the ball. Last day of practise and for his short burst in the game he came good, but does just leave that element of doubt.

Still really like him and think he could be exactly the kind of QB for what AP is looking for.

I'm thinking of potential trade targets for us. The idea of picking up a young signal caller cheaply instead of selling the farm to move up in the draft is enticing, and allows us to add more talent to other positions on the team.

Justin Fields (CHI) The obvious one. I'm still onboard sending a 3rd to Chicago and seeing what he can do outside the Bears organization. Ties to Getsy, young, physically talented. Maybe a change is what he needs. 

Trey Lance (DAL) I'm surprised we didn't at least make a move on when he was available. I'm hoping Jerruh Jones is dumb enough to sign Dak to long term making Lance expendable. The talent is still there with Lance and he's had some time to heal. Ship them a 4th to get the deal done. 

Malik Willis (TEN) is one I thought would have done more now. Maybe with the new coaching staff he becomes available for a 6th. Worth kicking the tires and seeing if he offers anything. Levis is QB1 in Tennessee so I can see them shipping him off for cheap. Worth bringing in to compete with AOC.

Anyone else intriguing? 

Thing about McCarthy that we aren’t talking about enough here is his 3rd and long and red zone completion percentages. He’s absolutely clutch in big moments.  

Was listening to a podcast compare him to the other QBs, to include the big 3, and he absolutely dominates everyone in those specific metrics. Like it’s not even close… Kinda blew me away to hear it. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

Thing about McCarthy that we aren’t talking about enough here is his 3rd and long and red zone completion percentages. He’s absolutely clutch in big moments.  

Was listening to a podcast compare him to the other QBs, to include the big 3, and he absolutely dominates everyone in those specific metrics. Like it’s not even close… Kinda blew me away to hear it. 

He knew what the defense was doing majority of the time though. Makes his job much easier. 

2 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

He knew what the defense was doing majority of the time though. Makes his job much easier. 

I mean there’s only so many things a defense can do on 3rd and long anyways. I still think it has quite a lot of merit.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 101Raider said:

I wonder how translatable those statistics are to the NFL. Even from season-to-season, third down and redzone performance varies highly even with the same player. PFF references "stable metrics" that are most predictive and translatable to NFL success. This is their article for this year's class:

Fantasy Football: How 2024 NFL Draft's quarterback class stacks up in stable metrics | NFL Draft | PFF

Statistics--particularly for sports--are latent metrics that should lead you to investigate why the statistic exists in the first place. I rarely refer to statistics when it comes to college prospects unless I am refuting someone's assertion that can easily be refuted with statistics.

Speaking of McCarthy, I have had a hard time finding an adequate comparison for him because I think he's a very unconventional prospect. No one in the NFL shares his release, but he does remind me a bit of RGIII in terms of build, arm strength, and pocket presence. However, he's much less athletic and has not shown the deep ball ability RGIII showed early in his career and at Baylor.

Edited by Rich7sena

16 hours ago, reddevil said:

What is your order then? I’m guessing Williams is the other of your top 4?

Purely on talent and potential at the next level - Williams, Maye, McCarthy, Nix

When you take into account personality, character, leadership etc. I rate all 3 over Williams. Williams seems like he's going to come with a lot of baggage at the next level that will keep him closer to his floor than ever reaching his ceiling. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, reddevil said:

What did you make of Nix at the senior bowl. I was really excited about seeing him there and he looked like he couldn’t grip the ball. Last day of practise and for his short burst in the game he came good, but does just leave that element of doubt.

Still really like him and think he could be exactly the kind of QB for what AP is looking for.

I don't put a ton of stock in the senior bowl. Thought he looked tight early on and loosened up as the week went on. It's hard for QBs trying to build chemistry on the fly with a new group of WRs. 

Finished fine, played well in the game. Nice TD pass that showed what he can do on the move and his only incompletion was a dime the WR couldn't track

Big accurate arm on display on this one. 60 yard dot here in the air.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 101Raider said:

His detractors like to say Michigan didn't trust him. This speaks opposite of that. They called on him in the biggest moments. He's more pro ready than fans think. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

There is no truth to this and if there is we should expect it to come out during the combine right? He will get buried there in interviews? They will just forget the throws he made and his 4.5 40 I guess? 

You're just a sad Ohio State fan needing to cope. 

12 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Isn't that a plus, though? I mean, the alternative would be him not having a clue what the defense was doing and just getting lucky by winging it....situational awareness isn't a given in the NFL anymore- just look at how many punts, unnecessary 4th downs, and games were lost do to QBs throwing deep on 3rd and 2 or less. 

41 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

There is no truth to this and if there is we should expect it to come out during the combine right? He will get buried there in interviews? They will just forget the throws he made and his 4.5 40 I guess? 

You're just a sad Ohio State fan needing to cope. 

Lol Yeah, there's not a massive investigation into the school or anything. Their coach didn't get suspended or anything. The guy who lead the cheating scandal didn't get fired or anything. Yeah, big ol bit of nothing, guy with McCarthy in his profile picture. Just continue to tell yourself that's the reason I'm suggesting this. You're wrong often so this is par for the course

I've said I expect him to do well at the combine also bc it's geared for people like him. 

12 hours ago, 101Raider said:

I mean there’s only so many things a defense can do on 3rd and long anyways. I still think it has quite a lot of merit.

But what about the red zone? Much more goes on there. He's definitely a mid-round prospect IMO but it's hard to gauge how much was cheating and how much was natural abilities bc once the guy was completely gone, 7 games, 170 YPG, 4 TDs, 1 INT. That's not very good and also warrants consideration 

7 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Isn't that a plus, though? I mean, the alternative would be him not having a clue what the defense was doing and just getting lucky by winging it....situational awareness isn't a given in the NFL anymore- just look at how many punts, unnecessary 4th downs, and games were lost do to QBs throwing deep on 3rd and 2 or less. 

I'll never say cheating is a plus as it ruins the integrity of the sport. This is basically college version of Spygate. All I'm saying is it's difficult to judge just how good he is bc he wasn't very good once that guy was gone

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Lol Yeah, there's not a massive investigation into the school or anything. Their coach didn't get suspended or anything. The guy who lead the cheating scandal didn't get fired or anything. Yeah, big ol bit of nothing, guy with McCarthy in his profile picture. Just continue to tell yourself that's the reason I'm suggesting this. You're wrong often so this is par for the course

I've said I expect him to do well at the combine also bc it's geared for people like him. 

Don't twist my words. Not saying Michigan didn't have some stuff going on. I'm saying uou continue to downplay McCarthy's ability as "he knew all the calls" which is nonsense. 

We're to believe what? That defenses didn't change calls per situation. That he didn't make the read and throws, etc? And we'll just ignore this all happened in October and they still went on to win the championship. 

So your argument is what exactly? McCarthy knew all the defensive calls and that's why he excelled on 3rd downs? To which again, I say is nonsense.