QB Options 2024

Humble_Beast

39 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If you tank an entire season by trusting that Lance or AOC can be the guy and it back fires it's a huge blemish on your resume especially in a year with a super deep QB class.

Drafting JJ , Nix, Pennix who get beat out by AOC or bust would be career suicide 

Not a huge fan of Nix or Pennix, at least not in the first round. Either of them would feel like we settled. 

Im not super high on JJ McCarthy either, i think he will lead the league in turnovers if he touches the field year one but i can at least see the upside with him. 

Trade up and take one of the top 4 QBs or none in the first round please. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Honestly, I wouldn't mind Bo Nix at 13.  Hondo implied that the Raiders don't like him and that they like JJ.  I like both but maybe JJ just a little more.  I don't know if I would be happier with Nix at 13 or sending a 1st to someone to move up for JJ.  In a perfect world AOC will show out and we will have a stash and trade situation.  What are your thoughts on Nix vs. JJ?

20 minutes ago, reddevil said:

I suppose it comes down to how confident you are in the teams drafting behind you not taking him.

We’re kinda boxed into a corner imo. And that will affect our ability to get value. I don’t think many of us really want to go FA route and it looks highly likely that Mayfield and Cousins will re-sign.

That leaves the draft and if the top 3 are out of reach (I expect that to be the case) and we are a less desirable trade partner for McCarthy (quite likely with the teams ahead of us), then we’re down to 2 options and if Telesco doesn’t want to take the risk on Penix’s health - it might leave Nix as the only actual option. 

In that case, I can see him getting jittery because the prospect of going into the season without 1 of the 6 QBs is professionally risky with a rabid fan base, who will bring out the pitch forks if they don’t.

So in this case, in a supply and demand situation, where the Raiders have few remaining options, it could skew the value.

If the top 4 QBs are gone before 13 then I find it a little difficult to see anyone want to trade up to our spot for good value, we might not be able to trade down easily. The blue chip prospects will have gone and the QBs are gone.

I think the more likely scenario might be trading up with our second round pick to take a QB like Nix or Penix at the tail end of the first. I could get on board with that.

• Like 1

I'm finally happy that the entire organization is taking the QB spot seriously, and being open about it.  It's nice to hear about how they don't want a band aid, how they're open to drafting up to a top spot, how they want to find an elite answer. Not a "well this may work for now" answer. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I'm finally happy that the entire organization is taking the QB spot seriously, and being open about it.  It's nice to hear about how they don't want a band aid, how they're open to drafting up to a top spot, how they want to find an elite answer. Not a "well this may work for now" answer. 

What you expect them to say. McDaniels talked a good game, I need results 

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Drafting JJ , Nix, Pennix who get beat out by AOC or bust would be career suicide 

Who do you put your faith in though? The guy that has like 4 starts in 5 years or a top rookie option you can develop

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

If the top 4 QBs are gone before 13 then I find it a little difficult to see anyone want to trade up to our spot for good value, we might not be able to trade down easily. The blue chip prospects will have gone and the QBs are gone.

I think the more likely scenario might be trading up with our second round pick to take a QB like Nix or Penix at the tail end of the first. I could get on board with that.

Yeah - I think that’s the fan preference. I just think that with so many teams where there is a question mark as to what they will do at QB, it will just add some doubt in a GMs mind.

Couple that with our situation where we are likely to be going into the draft in one of the worst positions of any team - probably too far away to move to get one of the top guys and with one of the worst fall back options (and I like AOC - but that’s the truth) and all signs point to us being more needy. 

I can see that being enough to make Telesco and the FO jittery. I would be as the consequence of missing out on everyone could be catastrophic. 

I will give him massive kudos if he is able to either beat the competition and move up to get one of the top guys or be able to keep 13 and still come out of the draft with a Nix or Penix.

I just feel like we’re in a really tricky position and we may have our hand forced by circumstance 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SodakRaiders said:

Honestly, I wouldn't mind Bo Nix at 13.  Hondo implied that the Raiders don't like him and that they like JJ.  I like both but maybe JJ just a little more.  I don't know if I would be happier with Nix at 13 or sending a 1st to someone to move up for JJ.  In a perfect world AOC will show out and we will have a stash and trade situation.  What are your thoughts on Nix vs. JJ?

It's smoke screen season right now but I've seen a couple of people say Telesco really likes Nix. It's hard to say right now either way though because I'm sure we're still deep into our evaluation process. I'd definitely prefer JJ over Nix but I wouldn't trade an additional FRP for him. I think Nix can be a solid starter but I'm not in love with his upside.

16 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Take a shot on Lance, if it doesn’t work would be in better position to get a QB in 25

Lance hasn't played meaningful football in 5 years. Going into next year expecting Lance or AOC to be the guy is a disaster waiting to happen.