Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

7 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I can see Dorsey liking Mayfield too. I just wish Mayfield played agaianst a decent defense this year so it’d be easier to critique him. Bama is the best test.

Ohio State's defense has a lot of talent too.

Underperforming talent at times, but talent none the less.

2 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Trouble with this is, Smith will not come here unless he gets a new 4/5 year deal with big bucks and that would stick us with a real cap problem going forward. He is far more likely not to come than either Darnold or Rosen refusng.

This will be the last place any FA will sign with, if they want to be on a winning team. We will have to spend far in excess of what they are worth in order to sign anybody and our cap dollars will get used up quickly.

IMO, Dorsey will spend, spend and spend as much as he can on FA's, because he has to know that he must win quickly to survive Haslam's quick trigger finger unfortunately, that will likely derail our possible future success. That's just another thing that a bad owner does to his team!!!

It won't be about smith being a free agent as much as it will be about him being traded for.  He has a year left on his contract.

It isn't easy to get free agents, we do have to overspend for them, thats why building draft capital was the best way to handle this franchise, I loved what Sashi was doing.

THat is my biggest concern.  I'm worried that were going to take this foundation and smash it so we can go 7-9....

Baker Mayfield IMO is criminally underrated as a QB. I understand the concerns regarding his actual height and that translation to the NFL, but as a QB the guy is so special. 

Take a few facts into account:

1) He is 39th in total pass attempts on the season (369)

2) He is 19th in completions on the season (262), in other words, he made up 20 spots from the number of passes thrown to be the 19th highest completed passes ranked player in college

3) He is ranked #1 in completion percentage at 71.0%. 

4) He is ranked #1 in yards per completion at 16.56.

5) He is ranked #1 in yards per pass attempt at 11.76 (more than a yard higher than 2nd ranked player and more than 3 yards better than Rosen and Darnold)

6) He is ranked #2 in passing touchdowns with 41 while being ranked tied for 3rd in interceptions with 5. He also has 300+ yards on the ground and 5 touchdowns rushing. 

7) He has a career TD percentage of 8.82%

His career interception rate is 1.98%. That is relative to the same % of guys like Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson and better than guys like Drew Brees (2.5%), Philip Rivers (2.6%), Ben Roethlisberger (2.7%), Peyton Manning (2.7%), and Kirk Cousins 2.5%.

I honestly don't think we have ever seen a QB with a season like this before. Think back to 2011 OK State with Weeden. He had 37 TD's but it took 565 attempts, and he had Justin Blackmon who had 1500 yards and 18 TD's by himself. The dude is an efficient QB that doesn't make efficient football throws. He makes plays with his feet, he can be evasive, he can make reads to multiple targets, (he has nearly 7 players with at least 300 receiving yards on the team). 

Russell Wilson's college stats when broken down are eerily similar to Mayfield's. Wilson's interception percent was 2.01 int%, his TD percent was 7.32%.  

For me, it's hard to ignore sheer statistics. Yes he's been arrested for being stupid drunk in public. Yes he DM'd Mia Kalifa and she exposed him for it. Yes he grabbed his junk at Kansas. Yes he doesn't meet typical NFL height requirements to be successful. But what he has is talent that I don't think many QB's have. I get why he isn't rated the top QB in this class, but in the back of my mind I can't help but thinking that he ends up being the best QB in this class. 

1 hour ago, CBrownsman said:

I'm worried that were going to take this foundation and smash it so we can go 7-9...

This is exactly what I expect, especially if there is collaboration between Dorsey and Hueball, although I highly doubt that Hueball can coach this team to 7-9.

1 hour ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

Baker Mayfield IMO is criminally underrated as a QB. I understand the concerns regarding his actual height and that translation to the NFL, but as a QB the guy is so special. 

Take a few facts into account:

1) He is 39th in total pass attempts on the season (369)

2) He is 19th in completions on the season (262), in other words, he made up 20 spots from the number of passes thrown to be the 19th highest completed passes ranked player in college

3) He is ranked #1 in completion percentage at 71.0%. 

4) He is ranked #1 in yards per completion at 16.56.

5) He is ranked #1 in yards per pass attempt at 11.76 (more than a yard higher than 2nd ranked player and more than 3 yards better than Rosen and Darnold)

6) He is ranked #2 in passing touchdowns with 41 while being ranked tied for 3rd in interceptions with 5. He also has 300+ yards on the ground and 5 touchdowns rushing. 

7) He has a career TD percentage of 8.82%

His career interception rate is 1.98%. That is relative to the same % of guys like Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson and better than guys like Drew Brees (2.5%), Philip Rivers (2.6%), Ben Roethlisberger (2.7%), Peyton Manning (2.7%), and Kirk Cousins 2.5%.

I honestly don't think we have ever seen a QB with a season like this before. Think back to 2011 OK State with Weeden. He had 37 TD's but it took 565 attempts, and he had Justin Blackmon who had 1500 yards and 18 TD's by himself. The dude is an efficient QB that doesn't make efficient football throws. He makes plays with his feet, he can be evasive, he can make reads to multiple targets, (he has nearly 7 players with at least 300 receiving yards on the team). 

Russell Wilson's college stats when broken down are eerily similar to Mayfield's. Wilson's interception percent was 2.01 int%, his TD percent was 7.32%.  

For me, it's hard to ignore sheer statistics. Yes he's been arrested for being stupid drunk in public. Yes he DM'd Mia Kalifa and she exposed him for it. Yes he grabbed his junk at Kansas. Yes he doesn't meet typical NFL height requirements to be successful. But what he has is talent that I don't think many QB's have. I get why he isn't rated the top QB in this class, but in the back of my mind I can't help but thinking that he ends up being the best QB in this class. 

Great post 

I think he actually exposed Mia Khalifa for DM'ing him.

It was Chad Kelly that messaged her.

I like Baker, wouldn't hate it if we ended up with him. But I can't pretend like every single throw he makes isn't to a wide open dude. You can only make the plays that are  available but that is the case.

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I think he actually exposed Mia Khalifa for DM'ing him.

It was Chad Kelly that messaged her.

I like Baker, wouldn't hate it if we ended up with him. But I can't pretend like every single throw he makes isn't to a wide open dude. You can only make the plays that are  available but that is the case.

He has plenty of big time throws to guys that aren't wide open. He also throws one of the more accurate balls to guys that are open. How many times have we seen Kizer this year throw to an open receiver and miss him by a ton? Mayfield places the football with precision. 

12 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

He has plenty of big time throws to guys that aren't wide open. He also throws one of the more accurate balls to guys that are open. How many times have we seen Kizer this year throw to an open receiver and miss him by a ton? Mayfield places the football with precision. 

Can't argue with his accuracy.

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Can't argue with his accuracy.

I know it's a "youtube highlight" but there's a 20ish minute video of him making plays, and if you have time, watch it. There are some open receivers, but he hits almost every one of them in stride. And there are plenty of NFL type throws made as well. That pass he made against OSU where he threw sideline right over the corner and to his man was an elite pass. 

7 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

That's not the point. Sure, he may "like" those guys, as he apparently "likes" Mayfield. But what if his grade on Mahomes is much higher than any QB in this draft?

In fact it probably is... just food for thought. 

In fact it probably is?  Yeah no. If Darnold and Rosen come out they are superior then Mahomes. As prospects that is. No chance I give up the #1 pick for him. I really liked Mahomes coming out. I’d maybe give up the Houston pick IF we don’t go Rosen or Darnold. Definitely curious to see him play this week. 

Side note:  I’ve still seen absolutely nothing to tell me Rosen or Darnold are not coming out. I’ve seen absolutely nothing to tell me Rosen doesn’t want to play for the Browns. The comment he made (if true) is accurate. It would be a ton better if some of these guys could go to an established team or one that fits them better. So what? It’s true. Where do we come up with the “fact” he doesn’t want to play here?  For real people. Does nobody want to get with the real?  

Does anybody not remember when Garrett didn’t want to play for the Browns?  Anybody?  Remember when he didn’t want to play for a cold weather team?  Obviously the Browns. Remember when he pleaded for Dallas to move up to draft him?  Obviously he didn’t want to play for the Browns. 

Soooo what happened?

Anywho, can’t lie I’m concerned about Rosen and his health. I think it’s a true concern. 

Which leads me to Mayfield. Dude is a baller. Yeah his conference scares me. Yeah his height scares me. But he is accurate, can make reads and is extraordinarily efficient. I’m telling you guys, when evaluating prospects note their accuracy (visually btw not stupid crap stats) and their ability to anticipate and you have a winner. 

Havent mapped out Mayfields ability to anticipate yet so he’s a work in progress. 

Archived