Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

10 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

@LETSGOBROWNIES you had an argument until I saw you’d prefer a corner and WR over a runningback. Could you please explain why? Runningbacks touch the ball and can make a much bigger impact than a WR. Corners are also limited in their impact as a whole.

If you want to prioritize defensive linemen, I support and understand that 100%

I would argue that you don’t need to take a RB extremely high because there is always RB talent available later in the draft. Our GM Dorsey happened to find a pretty good one last year in the 3rd round. The same round that the Saints drafted Kamara. Le’Veon Bell was a second round pick. I think he’s supposed to be pretty good. So, if LETSGO is saying that you can wait on a RB and not invest a high pick on one, that is definitely a viable strategy. 

27 minutes ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

I would argue that you don’t need to take a RB extremely high because there is always RB talent available later in the draft. Our GM Dorsey happened to find a pretty good one last year in the 3rd round. The same round that the Saints drafted Kamara. Le’Veon Bell was a second round pick. I think he’s supposed to be pretty good. So, if LETSGO is saying that you can wait on a RB and not invest a high pick on one, that is definitely a viable strategy. 

You can do the same exact thing with WR and CBs.

45 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

@LETSGOBROWNIES you had an argument until I saw you’d prefer a corner and WR over a runningback. Could you please explain why? Runningbacks touch the ball and can make a much bigger impact than a WR. Corners are also limited in their impact as a whole.

If you want to prioritize defensive linemen, I support and understand that 100%

WR and CB need to be able to beat the man over them, one on one, consistently, especially on the outside.

A WR who can consistently beat man coverage forces a defense to adjust with help in coverage.  They have the ability to make plays even when covered. They provide a red zone threat, again, even when covered. A good wr will impact literally every pass play, whether they touch the ball or not.

A CB who can lock up one on one with a WR and take them out of the game allows their coordinator to play them on an island and roll coverages to help other players or be more aggressive in their blitz packages. A cb who can play press man means you don’t have to line them up 10 yards off the LOS to protect them from getting beat deep which eliminates the quick hitting passes we’ve seen all season.

40 minutes ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

This.

While you can obviously find examples of players at any position being found in later rounds, RB’s are found EVERY year and are highly productive.

They also suffer a lot of wear and tear and have short careers to show for it.  Hell, a lot of guys get peanuts for a second contract as a result of it.

It’s one thing to draft a player like Kareem Hunt in the 3rd and him light up the league for most of the year, same for Kamara. They both far exceeded there draft spot. And their play helped propel their teams to being dominate. (Chiefs in the beginning of the year). However, I would argue they are limited physically. In NO Kamara could never do what Ingram does. Banging in btwn tackles and plowing over defenders. But nonetheless he’s still dynamic. Out of the backfield. Hunt kind of came out of no where. Dominated early then fell off after teams realized they had to stack the box. The difference though with Barkley is he can walk onto the field and teams will stack the box before he even touches it and ya know what Barkley can beat that box. He’s so athletic so strong so shifty yet powerful I would argue he’s probably one of the best RB prospects to come out ever. If he comes in and runs a 4.3-4.4 puts up 30 plus on bench 40s vertical and a 11-12ft broad jump he should be the pick. In my mind if you morphed Ingram and Kamara together he’s a better version of that. He’s essentially bigger more powerful Marshall Faulk. He would instantly get us 4-5 wins alone and Honestly this bs narrative about being a pass happy league is a lie sure it’s that way for the first 8 weeks but after that and into the playoffs. It becomes a run heavy short to intermediate route game manager game. Now there’s exceptions like Rodgers and Brady but you’re not going to find another one of those. Sorry. I would be completely fine with grabbing Darnold/Allen/Mayfield at either 1 or 4 but I think we’ve been so deprived of Elite playmakers we have to take Barkley 

49 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Can the Lamar Jackson fans explain what they see in him besides an unreal athlete and runner.

13-31 for 171 yards and 4 picks.

I watched the whole game and he looked terrible.

That was, by far, the worst game of his college career. His supporting cast suuuuucks this year and he has had a tendency of forcing it at times all year that showed up in a HUGE way that game. It's definitely concerning, but this game wasn't typical of him so far this season. Definitely a reminder of his worse tendencies (forcing it, inconsistent accuracy), but you didn't really see the other side of the coin very often this game (insanely accurate 30-45 yard throws, scrambling to get away from pressure and keeping his eyes up to find a guy for a big completion, going through progressions quickly). 

So, yeah, if this game is all you see of him, he was atrocious. But his college career is three seasons rather than one game. Still think he'd be a steal in the late first/late second for a team that has a super creative OC and can give him time to continue working on his consistency. Like, NO to take over for Brees eventually. 

4 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

That was, by far, the worst game of his college career. His supporting cast suuuuucks this year and he has had a tendency of forcing it at times all year that showed up in a HUGE way that game. It's definitely concerning, but this game wasn't typical of him so far this season. Definitely a reminder of his worse tendencies (forcing it, inconsistent accuracy), but you didn't really see the other side of the coin very often this game (insanely accurate 30-45 yard throws, scrambling to get away from pressure and keeping his eyes up to find a guy for a big completion, going through progressions quickly). 

So, yeah, if this game is all you see of him, he was atrocious. But his college career is three seasons rather than one game. Still think he'd be a steal in the late first/late second for a team that has a super creative OC and can give him time to continue working on his consistency. Like, NO to take over for Brees eventually. 

I've seen a decent number of his games. I agree this was his worst. Overall I just don't see a natural passer at all. He's got athletic gifts though so I wouldn't ignore your last paragraph as having the potential to happen. 

I wouldn't go near him in the first or second though personally. I think the improvements he'd need to make as a passer are dramatic enough that I lean more towards it not happening.

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I wouldn't go near him in the first or second though personally. I think the improvements he'd need to make as a passer are dramatic enough that I lean more towards it not happening.

He should become a WR

On 12/30/2017 at 1:59 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Do you think Chubb compares to a Vic Beasley?

Not at all. Chubb is closer to Derek Barnett out of Tennessee from last years draft. He's a rock solid player, but nowhere near as dynamic as Beasley at getting around the edge. There are only two superfreak DE's in this draft class (Landry & Key), but both are riddled with question marks and won't go in the top 20.

On 12/29/2017 at 5:26 AM, bosko1616 said:

Rosen doesn’t want to be a Brown. Darnold goes back to school. The next best player at the most important position is Chubb. You pair him with Garrett and you have arguably the best pass rushing duo in the league for atleast a decade. Grab a Franchise QB at 4 where there potential two. Ya I’d say youre wrong and there’s a very good chance that happens. If Darnold doesn’t declare I’ll bet on it. 

I'll take that bet. Hell, I'll take the bet that we don't even accomplish 1/2 of this: We don't take Chubb #1.

4 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Show of hands, who here thinks Josh Allen goes top 10?

I think he will go top 10. I'm not in love with him, but there are too many QB-needy teams for him to slide out of that range IMO. I think Denver is going to love him. I think Mayfield is QB#3, but I have a feeling NFL execs are going to have Allen as the third guy behind Rosen and Darnold.

Archived