Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

What of the football context around those numbers? That is, were there factors/variables that influenced those numbers (QB controlled factors, Offensive line issues, WR issues)

And that's why I just did a follow up post adding as much of that as I could possibly find. Ha! Beat you to the epic long follow up post! Oh yeah!

9 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

And that's why I just did a follow up post adding as much of that as I could possibly find. Ha! Beat you to the epic long follow up post! Oh yeah!

Mayfield may very well be the best QB out there.  I just don't see it.  I didn't watch every game of his but what I saw was a ton of time (except the Georgia second half) and good accuracy <10 yards.  Which every college Quarterback should have. 

I didn't see the accuracy people talk about outside of the <10 yard range.  I may have just watched the wrong games.

5 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

I’m ok with Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield at 1. I will trust people who should know better than me with any of those picks.

that trust goes right out the window if we go anywhere near Allen in rounds 1 or 2

I appreciate your trust man, means a lot.

Maybe it has been mentioned already....what do people think about Billy Price?

I know it seems like an OSU homer pick

I know that we just signed Tretter at C and Zeitler at G, while already having Bitonio

but...man.....If we could get Price in the 2nd, I would be pretty happy.  Start him at C and have him back up both Guards.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Hahaha I wondered how long it would take before someone called the new guy Kam.

ce56d86e44f653b88497867e6383dfaa.jpg

This has been me ever since the disappearance/subsequent alleged banning of the legend who was KamTrus/Shake N Bake/G-Race.

That said, Kathouse is OBVIOUSLY Dizzy. No argument there whatsoever.

And darn you @Mind Character for beating me to this accusation. I'm upset...with myself.

Just now, big poppa pump said:

Maybe it has been mentioned already....what do people think about Billy Price?

I know it seems like an OSU homer pick

I know that we just signed Tretter at C and Zeitler at G, while already having Bitonio

but...man.....If we could get Price in the 2nd, I would be pretty happy.  Start him at C and have him back up both Guards.

I’m never going to be mad if the player ends up being good, but I wouldn’t worry at all about the interior OL this year tbh.

Bigger fish to fry iyam.

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Mayfield and Rudolph have one thing in common that can’t be discounted though, Big 12 Efenses.

Except that the PAC12 was dookie this year too. It would be different if we were making a decision between like, an SEC guy and a BIG12 guy. But the PAC (Darnold, Rosen) and BIG12 (OK) were both pretty darn awful this year. And it's not like D2 (Allen) or the ACC (Jackson) were world beaters defensively.

You gotta play against who you play against. And Mayfield balled out against all the top 25 defenses he face this year (OSU, Georgia, TCU x2). Georgia was probably his roughest game, but he was sick the whole weekend before and pretty clearly worn down at the end. And he still managed 65% cmpl%, 280 yards, and 2 TDs to 1 INT despite being sacked five times (his OL was great by BIG12 standards, but only had one super legit dude, and it showed against Georgia). 

I'm looking forward to seeing more #s on how Darnold, Rosen, Jackson, and Rudolph did in any games they had against top 25ish defenses.

Also, how are we crucifying Mayfield for his game against Georgia (great D, still the stats we saw above), but acting like Darnold's performance against OSU was heroic and great? (58% cmpl%, 0 TD, 1 INT, 26 of 45)? Like, I actually thought he looked solid too. I just don't get it going both ways. 

2 hours ago, bosko1616 said:

Lol the difference is 7 of the 10 RBs you listed in the first round are HOF RBs. With maybe 1 RB in the second round being Possibly HOF worthy. Just because you don’t want to take a RB in the first round doesn’t mean you have to skew value to justify your thinking. Just say I don’t want Barkley. 

You are correct in that their are more Hall Of Famers in the 1st round list than the 2nd round list, but I do not care about drafting Hall Of Famers. I care about drafting a team that can win a Super Bowl. I should have stated this finding in that post as well;

1st rounders with Rings as a starting RB

1. Jamal Lewis

2. Marshawn Lynch(wasn't even with the team that drafted him)

2nd rounders with Rings as a starting RB

1. Kevin Faulk

2. Ray Rice

Again knowing what the numbers say and where the impact truly is in the NFL I am going to pass on selecting a RB in the Top 5.

26 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

The numbers alone don't paint the picture, but I can guarantee two things 1, that data will either be used to affirm/confirm one's prior belief about the QBs, or 2. that data will be ignored/discounted to protect/defend one's prior belief about the QBs.

Numbers are just a Rorschach test.

IMO, Darnold flashed more pro throws with back shoulder throws, escape from pressure and reset for an accurate down field throw, deep out dropped in the bucket, back shoulder over the middle away from the 2 defenders..

Baker had two plus throws on the night in my mind the boundary throw left to Lamb and the late TD running to the left.

It's okay to like Baker and also say the offensive scheme paint by the numbers and he doesn't see much pressure.

AND say Sam Darnold has much to work on.

Just based off watching last year and this year's games, Darnold is pinpoint accurate in terms of ball placement under pressure and in circumstances that require more rare ability.

Josh Allen was a lot better when it comes to that breakdown last year.

So, the context of  2016 also matters.

11 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Except that the PAC12 was dookie this year too. It would be different if we were making a decision between like, an SEC guy and a BIG12 guy. But the PAC (Darnold, Rosen) and BIG12 (OK) were both pretty darn awful this year. And it's not like D2 (Allen) or the ACC (Jackson) were world beaters defensively.

You gotta play against who you play against. And Mayfield balled out against all the top 25 defenses he face this year (OSU, Georgia, TCU x2). Georgia was probably his roughest game, but he was sick the whole weekend before and pretty clearly worn down at the end. And he still managed 65% cmpl%, 280 yards, and 2 TDs to 1 INT despite being sacked five times (his OL was great by BIG12 standards, but only had one super legit dude, and it showed against Georgia). 

I'm looking forward to seeing more #s on how Darnold, Rosen, Jackson, and Rudolph did in any games they had against top 25ish defenses.

Also, how are we crucifying Mayfield for his game against Georgia (great D, still the stats we saw above), but acting like Darnold's performance against OSU was heroic and great? (58% cmpl%, 0 TD, 1 INT, 26 of 45)? Like, I actually thought he looked solid too. I just don't get it going both ways. 

I don’t disagree at all.

What Mayfield put on tape is 100 percent legit.

My biggest hesitation is his size. Being an analytics guy, you’ll know you’re betting on someone 6’ to be the exception to the rule. Is that a foolproof way of looking at him? No, not at all. Realistically though there have only been 2 guys in the last 20 years to actually do it.

14 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I haven’t bashed Baker for his Georgia performance but for me with Darnold it boils down to:

He performed courageously despite that swinging gate OL compared to Bakers awesome OL. It’s not his fault they’re so good but still, it’s a factor.

Darnold made about 3-4 WOW throws like two sideline back shoulder fades thrown perfectly and another frozen rope deep corner route with timing, anticipation, and accuracy all while staring down the gun barrel.

Why I like Sam so much. No disrespect to Baker, but those throws weren’t asked of him at OU and certainly not against Georgia.

10 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

You are correct in that their are more Hall Of Famers in the 1st round list than the 2nd round list, but I do not care about drafting Hall Of Famers. I care about drafting a team that can win a Super Bowl. I should have stated this finding in that post as well;

1st rounders with Rings as a starting RB

1. Jamal Lewis

2. Marshawn Lynch(wasn't even with the team that drafted him)

2nd rounders with Rings as a starting RB

1. Kevin Faulk

2. Ray Rice

Again knowing what the numbers say and where the impact truly is in the NFL I am going to pass on selecting a RB in the Top 5.

More impressive super bowl victories. Jamal Lewis with Kyle boller and Lynch with a young Wilson or Faulk with Brady and ray rice with Flacco. To me Jamal Lewis and Lynch’s are more impressive because they literally cared the team. I think ppl are misinterpreting the reasoning behind Barkley. It’s not to be the “ Franchise saver “ he’s a blanket to relieve pressure off our future Franchise QB. RBs typically entire their prime btwn 24-26 QBs is 28. Our biggest problem is we never surround our QBs with real talent. We expect them to elevate the players around them. Let Barkley go crazy while Darnold matures and grows and when Darnold enters his prime we’ll be ready to go 

Archived